Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I mean the hammer is gonna spin as fast as Thor can spin it. Which ... yknow.

That Thor is seemingly? a lot faster than this version of J'onn. He should be able to get something out before the guy can do his thing ?

No idea beyond that what that does, or why; but that bit shouldn't be a sticking point.
    Actually, when Thor does the twirl the hammer to get esoteric thing, we usually have non-super speed characters witnessing it as a point of reference. So we can say pretty conclusively he's not unleashing such things faster than a normal human can think or whatever. So this does kind of come down to how easily he can actually generate fire. I'm not aware of him ever having done it, and I think it is safe to say it isn't a go to quick draw option in the same way a hammer toss or lightning bolt is. If he could make fire fast enough AND start raining down lightning bolts, he might have a shot.

But I think in all likelihood Dork is correct on the outcome. J'onn should be able to weather any initial attack long enough to at least phase underground, which then lets him unleash the TP basically unmolested and that's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Actually, when Thor does the twirl the hammer to get esoteric thing, we usually have non-super speed characters witnessing it as a point of reference. So we can say pretty conclusively he's not unleashing such things faster than a normal human can think or whatever. So this does kind of come down to how easily he can actually generate fire. I'm not aware of him ever having done it, and I think it is safe to say it isn't a go to quick draw option in the same way a hammer toss or lightning bolt is. If he could make fire fast enough AND start raining down lightning bolts, he might have a shot.

But I think in all likelihood Dork is correct on the outcome. J'onn should be able to weather any initial attack long enough to at least phase underground, which then lets him unleash the TP basically unmolested and that's that.
    I agree with the outcome myself, was just questioning the spin.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I agree with the outcome myself, was just questioning the spin.
    Puns aside, it isn't like Dragonball where the story is usually being told exclusively from the perspective of multiple people with super speed. It is usually the case that some normal speed opponent of Thor's, or even just normal human onlookers can note the spinning happening before the effect is completed. That's probably Thor's biggest Achilles Heel in rumbles, to be honest. Or at least part of why he's awkward to pair folks against. He's not fast enough to compete in the Kryptonian bracket, but he's faster than lots of characters below it. He can splatter lots of glass cannon characters before they can do anything if they can be taken out by simple class 100 force, so he can take out your Magnetos and such before they activate their shields. But he can't summon up his best stuff or get especially esoteric as fast as Magneto, Surfer, or Doctor Strange can.

Thor's only real chance is if MM tries to mindwhammy him, it's not a well publicized trait of his but trying to read his mind can have a huge backlash. Classic Strange, PF Rachel and PF Emma have all suffered for trying, Strange even had Thor's permission.
    "Money and muscle, that’s what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won’t do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won’t enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it."
    Robert E. Howard

Quote Originally Posted by rhyvurg View Post
    Thor's only real chance is if MM tries to mindwhammy him, it's not a well publicized trait of his but trying to read his mind can have a huge backlash. Classic Strange, PF Rachel and PF Emma have all suffered for trying, Strange even had Thor's permission.
    He's also gotten done up by mind control just fine. Also, pretty much any version of MM has some of the most salutary psychic defenses in comics.

BANNED

yeah moondragon didn't have any problem at all controlling him psychically.

All-New Member

MMH 10/10 vs current Thor
    MMH 6/10 vs Worthy Thor

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rhyvurg View Post
    When did this happen with Strange?
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate