• Ultimate X-men

15 11.72%
  • Astonishing X-men - Joss Whedon

14 10.94%
  • Other

17 13.28%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Other: FoX-Men. But with MCU "totally accurate the comics" art direction.

Or at least bring back Fassy, James, Sansa and Sloan Sabbith.

Extraordinary Member

ANAD for me. I like the idea that there was a previous X-Men team and a new group has to be recruited. It allows the O5 to exist without needing a whole movie.

I also like the idea of replacing the original team with a more racially and nationally diverse cast, which has relevance (and occasional backlash) today.

And I just like seeing that the X-Men’s history goes back earlier than when we meet them.

Astonishing Member

Am thinking to fuse infinity war storyline and it's aftermath to my favourite time which was Messiah Complex to about Second Coming.See in my story instead of Scarlet Witch ,Thanos is the one who wiped out 50% of mutants in the multiverse,because Loki escaped with the timezone,in our reality mutant numbers were not restored and in fact in our reality only 200 mutants remain.So indeed we start with Messiah Complex numbers and even the whole idea of first mutant born since the finger snap can be explored.It's not a start from scratch and gives the story the gravitas it would require

This is an easy other just for the simple fact that MCU X-men is going to be taking place in 2020 something and very much everything on that list is product of its time. Unlike Fox which had chance(twice) to be comic accurate the MCU launch without access to X-men and has no choice but to be something different than comics.

MCU X-men basically should be "What if X-men were launched today" and be its own interpretation of the franchise. And it should make the tweaks the franchise should make if Marvel wasn't afraid to reboot it world I mean stuff like Psylocke being Asian from the beginning, stuff like Cable being Jean Grey kid, Stuff like Original 5 being more of an Original 9 with Storm, Psylocke, Sage, Forge in mix making original group more diverse.

^

Exactly what KB says. The MCU will be a wholly new take on the X-Men. The only real guarantees are that the roster will more than likely include Wolverine, Storm, and Cyclops... and add in a CM-powered Rogue.

They have an unenviable task ahead of them. The X-Men franchise's insular nature over the decades has made it bloat well past what's reasonable in a shared universe, which means a lot of stuff is simply going to get pruned. Whatever form the X-Men take in the MCU will be based primarly on how well they play nicely with the wider MCU Marvel is building. Things like Krakoa are awesome because of the context in which they came about, and is deeply informed by the events of the past.. Doing that as the launch of mutants in the MCU would confuse people severely, and many more would be put off by various elements. Still, I understand the desire for something radically different than the school on-screen. That setting has been done to death on screen, and it also requires that mutants having been around long enough that many have become wealthy enough to own and run schools. Which is a whole other bag of worms.

I think a good course of action that would earn audience sympathy and function as an avenue of for introducing characters outside of the O5 would be the following: Mutants aren't the next step of evolution, they're simply a subspecies of humans. This keeps their numbers low enough that Marvel retains its valued "World outside your Window" thing. Mutants' number are few, but large enough that task forces are sent out to eliminate them. This would naturally lead viewers to ask why these people are being tried this way, which segues into potential scenes in the past. For example, you could show press footage of mobs chasing down mutant kids, or Magneto threatening humans only to be defeated by something off camera. This immediately makes people care about the mutants being introduced, establishes the enemies, their mindset, and the world around them and the past that led here. This movie could have them on the run, and only ends with them establishing somewhere stable from which to work out of after resolving the main conflict.

The really difficult part is who the mutants should be. Xavier and Magneto are so overused, but they do well as representatives of two ideological extremes. They have cultural cache and are immediately recognizable, a good thing for a movie's marketing. Then there's the matter of who the villain would be, but that ties into what are you going for in the movie. Are you leaning into the human persecution of mutants, which is a natural setup for Friends of Humanity, Purifiers, etc... Or will it be someone like Sinister who wants to them to play with their DNA? I could see them keeping the cast fairly small. Something like Jean, Storm, Jubilee, Cyclops, Iceman, & Nightcrawler would work. Wolverine is too big for his own good, he's best served for later films.

I think what others said about Mystique's Brotherhood would be perfect for an introductory film. Mutants that don't give a flip about humans and in their recklessness making things harder for the heroes (since the hateful authorities just assume they're all in cahoots). This is also a good way to prep Rogue to join the team, and delicious drama between her, Nightcrawler and their moms.

Also, I don't think they'll do that CM-powered Rogue. They're going to go for a more distinct role for the character rather than using another person's entire power set like a costume she never takes off.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Sphere View Post
    Also, I don't think they'll do that CM-powered Rogue. They're going to go for a more distinct role for the character rather than using another person's entire power set like a costume she never takes off.
    Why do so many people think CM-powered Rogue means we'll be left with a CM-powerless Carol? Both Carol and Rogue exist with similar powers in the books, for years. Rogue'll siphon off some of the flying brick powers and some memories and Carol will be shook but bounce back. I cannot imagine they would introduce Carol Danvers and not introduce her experience with Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    ^

Exactly what KB says. The MCU will be a wholly new take on the X-Men. The only real guarantees are that the roster will more than likely include Wolverine, Storm, and Cyclops... and add in a CM-powered Rogue.
    Agreed. I’d like to see them weave the X-men into the MCU somehow, as though they’ve always been there. My hope is that they...

- Lay the groundwork for mutants in The Eternals, establishing the X-gene as having been planted in Homo sapiens by the Celestials;
    - Start introducing them as cameos in upcoming MCU films and Disney+ shows (e.g., Rogue in Captain Marvel 2, Storm in BP 2, a Hulk vs. Wolverine series, etc.);
    - Establish in Doc Strange 2 the concept of multiverse, and perhaps even have that rumored Deadpool cameo and possibly an Old Man Logan cameo (w/ Hugh Jackman as OML), so we know that there are other universes where mutants and the X-men exist that are different than ours/the MCU; also introduce the MCU Illuminati which Professor X (the MCU version) is a member of; and finally
    - Start the MCU Uncanny X-men film off with the X-men’s first mission to Krakoa to rescue the rest of the O5; Cyclops is leading the mission and we get flashbacks showing the recruitment of all of the characters; have those flashbacks and the battle on Krakoa comprise the first third of the film, ending with the comic book line uttered by Angel, “What are we going to do with 13 X-men?”; jump to the present, and we see the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters with vines grown all over it, and Jean Grey shepherding a number of students through the portal to their new home on Krakoa, and we use the House of X story of the mutants establishing their new nation state for the rest of the film, have the battle with Orchis to take out Mother Mold, the resurrections, etc.

Yeah, yeah... I know. It’s nuts, right? Jumping to the present day Dawn of X setup and skipping all that good stuff in the past? Except, here’s the kicker... it all happened. There would be a flashback somewhere in the film showing how how the Illuminati decided years ago to keep the existence of mutants a secret because of humanity’s constant attempts at genocide. Xavier uses his mental powers, augmented by Cerebro (which Reed Richards and Tony Stark helped him build), to make the world forget the existence of mutants and Doctor Strange puts a magical spell on them where they cannot be filmed or photographed (similar to after they came through the Siege Perilous, so a wink and nod to that story from the comics).

What we find is that after The Snap the activation of the mutant gene simply exploded, and they are popping up in much larger numbers than before. So the ability to keep the lid on their existence is gone now. The cat is out of the bag, the humans “hate and fear them” like never before, hence Xavier establishing his new nation on Krakoa. Also, some characters like Bucky whose memories have been tampered with do remember mutants, like Wolverine. For the rest, the memories are slowly but surely coming back. Like “awakening from a dream.”

That set up would be a lot of fun, and it also allows them to use Disney+ to explore X-men adventures in the past which Xavier and the Illuminati just wiped from everyone’s memory, while going forward in the films and doing new stuff. The Disney+ shows could really go deep into these characters and give you more insights into each of them. So they’d have a 2-parter focused on Storm, another 2-parter on Cyclops, maybe an episode focused on Beast, etc. We’d see classic stories of X-men in the Savage Land, fighting Magneto and the Brotherhood, the Marauders and Sinister, etc., and references to events that maybe we don’t need to see again like Dark Phoenix (since we had two FOX films dedicated to that one). Also, Apocalypse and his making Angel into Archangel. That one is easily at least a 2-parter, maybe a 3-parter. So the Disney+ X-men shows function kind of like the old X-men Animated Series cartoon in this regard.

So all of these past things could be explored on Disney+ bringing audiences up to speed with who the characters are, while not slowing down the films and forcing them to somehow establish all this as they weave them into the MCU. The beauty of this is that they are already woven in, it’s just that no one remembered them until after The Snap.

That’s what I’d like to see anyway. It gives us a MCU that is closer to what we’ve always had in the comics, that being a Marvel Universe where the X-men were always a part of it, rather than suddenly introducing them and having to establish relationships as they go. Wolverine already knows Steve Rogers from WWII. Rogue drained Captain Marvel and put her in a coma many years ago. And so on and so forth.

At any rate, I think it could work quite well.

BANNED

The MCU X-Men will be "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" like all adaptations and takes on X-men. And likewise, like Spider-Man they have been adapted to movies before, to some level of creative and financial success, unlike say Fantastic Four, where they need to start from scratch and reintroduce everything as if nothing came before.

The two issues confronting MCU X-Men is

1) Wolverine -- It's going to be hard to replace Jackman. And even then Jackman's Wolverine took over the Fox Series at the expense of other characters. You need to cast a Wolverine who can fit with an ensemble. But before you do that, you need to establish that ensemble first as something that can stand apart and work on its own.

2) Continuity -- The two choices Marvel has are a) mutants were always around but were kept under wraps and had their mind-wiped and so on, b) mutants are a totally new phenomenon that came now.

The solution is, Moira X. Simply have Moira's past lives (some of them being the Fox X-Men timelines) show up in a montage and then have her meet Xavier and Magneto and meet them at the bench and tell them that "this time we will do things differently" and they quietly build strength, recruit in secret, mindwipe when necessary, and then finally make their grand debut in MCU X-Men 1.

In the case of MCU X-Men 1, the main character is Cyclops, because he needs to be established and reintroduced because the previous movies undersold him. So have him lead the class in that movie. The mission is that Professor X and Moira went on an investigation to Krakoa, the living island on the South Pacific, but went missing. To get them back, before SHIELD and others find out, Cyclops and others have to put together a new team of mutants this includes Peter and his sister Illyana from Russia, Robert Da Costa and Cypher (who can talk to Krakoa), Storm and Nightcrawler. And of course, Cyclops decides to reunite with his ex Jean Grey who left the mansion and broke up with him. The plot is Giant Size X-Men but the cast mixes in New mutants with the GSXM sans Wolverine, add in Thunderbird as a redshirt.

The plot of the movie is about finding and establishing contact with Krakoa. So the first MCU X-Men 1 movie in this scenario can establish Xavier, Moira, Cyclops, Krakoa and the hidden nature of mutants, and the end of the movie is X-Men going public and mutantkind being revealed to the world and the founding of Krakoa as a mutant-state. You can end the movie with Xavier's address in HOX#6, "Humans of the Planet Earth...While you slept, the world changed".

So now that Krakoa is established you can do sequels that deal with magneto, Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister (who hasn't been done in the movies yet), Sentinels, Wolverine.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 03-04-2020 at 08:43 AM.

Jeebus. I'm not sure the world is ready for Moira X-level retcon. I'm STILL struggling with it and it's been months.

Jeebus. I'm not sure the world is ready for Moira X-level retcon. I'm STILL struggling with it and it's been months.
    Oh, but it would be so fun.

The only thing that doesn’t line up with what I wrote above is the Fantastic Four. How do you also introduce them into the MCU in the same way (i.e., make it so they’ve always been a part of it)? Maybe they go on a trip to the Negative Zone, get their powers, and them and Doom come back through the Microverse, ending up in the past? Something like that would be weird, but would be a way to also weave them into the fabric of the MCU. So Doom ends up in the past and uses his knowledge of future events to take over Latveria. Richards creates a bunch of patents that makes him rich, and he buys Trump Tower and makes it the Baxter Building. Ha.

Regardless, like the X-men, they’ve now “always been here.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Eh, give me a hour or two to chew on the Moira idea. I'm imagining Rose Byrne in old lady makeup emerging from the shadows and making people stand up in the theater.

I've ALWAYS been a fan of the X-Men in the shadows operating between the scenes with Cerebro doing cleanup.

I can feel myself warming to a Moira X concept... the public is already familiar with Moira MacTaggert as a major player. Her FBI training and foreknowledge would inform 1. clandestine operations in an MCU context, 2. financial resources, 3. global technology, 4. specific roster.

I'm almost there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    The only thing that doesn’t line up with what I wrote above is the Fantastic Four. How do you also introduce them into the MCU in the same way (i.e., make it so they’ve always been a part of it)? Maybe they go on a trip to the Negative Zone, get their powers, and them and Doom come back through the Microverse, ending up in the past? Something like that would be weird, but would be a way to also weave them into the fabric of the MCU. So Doom ends up in the past and uses his knowledge of future events to take over Latveria. Richards creates a bunch of patents that makes him rich, and he buys Trump Tower and makes it the Baxter Building. Ha.

With the FF, I wouldn't do "always been there" per se. Basically they are adult superheroes right? So Reed, Ben, Johnny, and Sue go on their mission during the Five-Years of the Decimation. In that period, with half of life gone and US institutions broken down, four adventurer scientists independently joyriding a shuttle to space is easy to explain and handwave without rankling. Reed believes that this experiment in space will be a way to undo the Decimation. But their mission goes awry, they crash land on earth and land after the Decimation...so Reed has the guilt of his family being made into superbeings and Ben a rock golem, while also knowing the whole thing was pointless.

So the FF are formed, and like the first issues, where the FF initially are secret and in hiding and then go public. Their first movie can introduce them sometime after the Decimation.

In the case of Doom, it's simple. Latveria was a country that broke up into warring states including Sokovia and Symkaria or whatever. So basically the Sokovian war in the MCU, that was land that was originally Latveria. He was a revolutionary fighting for the rights of gypsies against Sokovian leaders, including Zemo whose faction was a loyalist to the tyrannical regime from before. But then the decimation happens, and Doom is one of the figures who survive...lacking manpower and need for people, the US government gives him scholarship, and he meets Reed, and so on, and he goes public and takes over and conquers Sokovia and restores it to the old name of Latveria and that establishes him in the MCU. Because viewers will have a sense that Doom did bring order to a wartorn country and give him respect and so on. But I actually think Doom needs his own movie.

The Fantastic Four have never been done right in any movie before, so you need to do from the ground-up and establish everything, and pretend the previous movies never happened.

The X-Men though, have been done somewhat right before. The Fox movies are inconsistent messes but the highs (X-Men First Class, Logan, DOFP, X1, X2) get the concept right and sold it to the people. So the MCU have some freedom in terms of asking audiences what to expect and assume.

Moira X is a pretty nifty way to do it.

Eh, give me a hour or two to chew on the Moira idea. I'm imagining Rose Byrne in old lady makeup emerging from the shadows and making people stand up in the theater.

I've ALWAYS been a fan of the X-Men in the shadows operating between the scenes with Cerebro doing cleanup.

I can feel myself warming to a Moira X concept... the public is already familiar with Moira MacTaggert as a major player. Her FBI training and foreknowledge would inform 1. clandestine operations in an MCU context, 2. financial resources, 3. global technology, 4. specific roster.

I'm almost there.
    It’s thought-provoking... which I fully believe was the intention behind bringing Hickman in to revamp the X-men. This is about getting them ready to be introduced into the MCU, and figuring out how to weave them in. No doubt in my mind we’re headed for some sort of X-retcon involving either Moira X or the Illuminati and the new Krakoan setup. In some way shape or form. As always, probably won’t be an exact translation from comic to big screen, but they will use some of this. I’m sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    With the FF, I wouldn't do "always been there" per se. Basically they are adult superheroes right? So Reed, Ben, Johnny, and Sue go on their mission during the Five-Years of the Decimation. In that period, with half of life gone and US institutions broken down, four adventurer scientists independently joyriding a shuttle to space is easy to explain and handwave without rankling. Reed believes that this experiment in space will be a way to undo the Decimation. But their mission goes awry, they crash land on earth and land after the Decimation...so Reed has the guilt of his family being made into superbeings and Ben a rock golem, while also knowing the whole thing was pointless.

So the FF are formed, and like the first issues, where the FF initially are secret and in hiding and then go public. Their first movie can introduce them sometime after the Decimation.

In the case of Doom, it's simple. Latveria was a country that broke up into warring states including Sokovia and Symkaria or whatever. So basically the Sokovian war in the MCU, that was land that was originally Latveria. He was a revolutionary fighting for the rights of gypsies against Sokovian leaders, including Zemo whose faction was a loyalist to the tyrannical regime from before. But then the decimation happens, and Doom is one of the figures who survive...lacking manpower and need for people, the US government gives him scholarship, and he meets Reed, and so on, and he goes public and takes over and conquers Sokovia and restores it to the old name of Latveria and that establishes him in the MCU. Because viewers will have a sense that Doom did bring order to a wartorn country and give him respect and so on. But I actually think Doom needs his own movie.

The Fantastic Four have never been done right in any movie before, so you need to do from the ground-up and establish everything, and pretend the previous movies never happened.

The X-Men though, have been done somewhat right before. The Fox movies are inconsistent messes but the highs (X-Men First Class, Logan, DOFP, X1, X2) get the concept right and sold it to the people. So the MCU have some freedom in terms of asking audiences what to expect and assume.

Moira X is a pretty nifty way to do it.
    That makes sense. I could see it. Good ideas. Thanks.

Start off with a cast of characters not featured in any of the previous adaptions, for example Kyle and Yost's New X-Men, with mutants having only recently begun to manifest their abilities. That way the setting keeps moving forward and the emergence of mutants on a global scale is by itself a catalyst for many stories.

Marvel Studios have shown with properties like GotG and Ant-Man that they can turn anything into a success, so there's no need to front-load the franchise by cramming in every popular character right from the beginning. People are so eager to see what Marvel will do with the X-Men that the fact there'll be a MCU movie featuring mutants will be enough to fill theatres, and it allows them to maintain lasting interest by teasing the appearance of Magneto, Wolverine, the O5, etc for later installments.