36 28.13%
  • Ultimate X-men

15 11.72%
  • Astonishing X-men - Joss Whedon

14 10.94%
  • Other

17 13.28%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The first 3 movies had the right characters. The new movies just need more focus on the team and less on Wolverine.

Last edited by nx01a; 03-19-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Beast from O5 creation
    Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus from ANAD classic
    Jubilee from 90s cartoon
    White Queen from 00s comics

BANNED

The cast should reflect the long game. Characters that can have deep and meaningful stories with the villains and the arcs that will be told. We don't know those, so think more along dynamics is my idea. I think something along these lines:

Philosophical leader (Xavier)
    Field leader (Cyclops)
    Telepath/Telekentic (Jean)
    Tank (Colossus)
    Religion/Pacifist (Nightcrawler)
    Dynamic Powerset (Storm)
    Young Mutant (I prefer Shadowcat to Jubilee personally)
    Wildcard (Here is where you could make a case for Beast as the intellectual, Iceman as the hot head/comic relief (or Sunspots, Sunfire, etc), Havok for the brother connection, Lorna for the relationship with Mags, etc)

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Start with the core:

Scott
    Jean
    Logan
    Ororo

Add in some other other iconic favorites:
    Iceman
    Rogue
    Beast/Archangel/Jubilee/etc

Throw in Professor X in a supporting role, Magneto and the iconic version of the Brotherhood as villains...

Profit.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

I think they should start with a mix of O5 and Giant size first. I liked TAS but a couple of my favorite characters like Nightcrawler were not present much.

Ultimate X-Men, the other area's would be period piece movies. Unless we're strictly talking character line ups, if that's the case Giant Size or anything after is the best bet.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    please god none of them do something new
    For the movies, any of these line ups would be new...

More of an Ultimate X-men approach

Field Team

Cyclops, Storm, Psylocke,Wolverine, Jean Grey, Iceman,

That would probably be core group. Hits on most of the checkmarks They are diverse and have most of the most popular characters are around. I only have 6 people. I think somewhere between 7 to 9 is sweet spot. You can add on who think works good for the story

Staff support

Beast, Forge, Celia Reyes

They aren't on the field team but they are basically team "exposition" and useful stuff. Beast is Science, Forge is Tech, Celia Reyes is Medical.

As long MCU gets Cyclops right and make sure to acknowledge that O5 is the first X-men group I will be happy
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-19-2019 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Start with the core:

Scott
    Jean
    Logan
    Ororo

Add in some other other iconic favorites:
    Iceman
    Rogue
    Beast/Archangel/Jubilee/etc

Throw in Professor X in a supporting role, Magneto and the iconic version of the Brotherhood as villains...

Profit.
    Sounds like FOX movies.

For me the indispensable ones are Cyclops, Jean, Storm and Wolverine. From there they have to add two that serve as a core, similar to the six Avengers of the movies.

Characters such as Beast or Xavier can be perfectly part of the X-Men and not occupy a slot but would prefer Xavier and Magneto absent. Very overexploited on FOX.

Guys. Chill. We'll get to all your late comers eventually. Disney is going to milk this franchise for all it is worth. We will have a decade of films following them as they grow up. Emma and Jubes and Gambit and Rogue will come, in time. There will be Disney + shows and spinoffs and cartoons. That said, I say start at the best introductory story and grow from there into the meaty Claremont stories:

Giant Sized X-Men line up*more or less.

In the best scenario, I'd sprinkle in a few key cameos across the other MCU films, introducing Wolvie, Storm, and Cyke, in Black Widow, BP2, and Eternals/GotG3 respectively, or even more ambitiously, give them each a solo film before making a team film, in which you can explore Weapon X and other government experiments on mutants, Shadow King and Xavier and Apocalypse teasers, and Mr. Sinister and Shi'Ar teasers, respectively.

I would have the original team, with Polaris and Havok(ideally first assembled/introed in Cyke's solo, Cyclops:The First X-Man) get a brief intro scene where they are incapacitated, but this alludes to their time together and shows their personalities and powers.

Then Scott makes it back to the mansion and tells Xavier what happened. He then goes on a recruiting drive. So the main team would be:

Cyclops
    Storm
    Wolverine
    Nightcrawler
    Colossus(with young Illyana cameo)
    Thunderbird or Rictor
    Sunfire or Xorn or Sway or Kwannon

Global feel for the global market. Relaunch the team after a so-so first run. This is the exact playbook from 1975 and it still makes sense today. Have the new team get intro vignettes in their various countries of origin(which shows how mutants are being responded to around the world; ie mostly negative, but occasionally celebrated), bring them to the mansion, train them in an epic Danger Room sequence. Fly to the island and throw it into space. After party at Harry's Hideaway/or the mansion where tempers flair and most of the old team leaves. The team members are college aged(21 ish). Mid credit shows the Powers that Be/SHIELD/Shadow Government or whatever looking at satellite imagery of an island being thrown into space by a bunch of kids. Sokovia is mentioned. Trask or Lang or whoever you want to use presents his Sentinel program. Post credit shows Magneto and his MLF(sorry, it sounds cooler than the Brotherhood or Acolytes).
    Last edited by yogaflame; 03-20-2019 at 03:09 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    . Post credit shows Magneto and his MLF(sorry, it sounds cooler than the Brotherhood or Acolytes).
    MILF sounds cooler than the Brotherhood or Acolytes? Yeah it is MLF but it is one joke away from people calling MILF
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-20-2019 at 03:48 AM.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    This ^

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    They don't need to glut the line, like in the books. Keep a core cast.

I have no interest in the TAS version at all.
    Ditto. Ditto, ditto.

BANNED

The GREAT classiX:

... natch, from Original, NeXt Gen, & New Mutants flavas. Not all at once, of course, you'd hafta piecemeal 'em in.

Add Gambit, Cable, Bishop, Jubes, & Emma eventually, too. That'd be pretty much perfection, IMO.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Sounds like FOX movies.
    There's a reason for that. X-Men 1 and X2 are still great movies, and they had a winning formula. Castwise, Feige would do well to recreate that.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey