Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Stadia

Default Google Stadia

https://www.businessinsider.com/google-console-2019-3

I guessed this would be the future of gaming about 5 years ago. I don't know if this is the system that will ultimately last, but I can definitely see games as a service becoming more dominant, and available on non hardware specific platforms.

In the future I'll bet you can buy Game Pass, Stadia, and Playsation Network for a monthly fee and just stream to your appletv, androidtv, Roku, whatever.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Microsoft’s Xbox boss responds to Google Stadia, promises ‘we will go big’ for E3

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Spector
    We just wrapped up watching the Google announcement of Stadia as team here at GDC. Their announcement is validation of the path we embarked on two years ago.
    Today we saw a big tech competitor enter the gaming market, and frame the necessary ingredients for success as Content, Community and Cloud. There were no big surprises in their announcement although I was impressed by their leveraging of YouTube, the use of Google Assistant and the new WiFi controller.
    But I want get back to us, there has been really good work to get us to the position where we are poised to compete for 2 billion gamers across the planet. Google went big today and we have a couple of months until E3 when we will go big.
    We have to stay agile and continue to build with our customer at the center. We have the content, community, cloud team and strategy, and as I’ve been saying for a while, it’s all about execution. This is even more true today.
    Energizing times.
    Phil
    This is the important thing to note, coupled with the pending "streaming" edition of X-Box. This isn't going to be a fad, and I don't think Sony will be able to compete in the next iteration of "console" wars without some major investments into data warehousing. Stadia (Google Cloud), Xbox "Next" (Microsoft Azure), and "Fire" (Amazon AWS) will likely be the three major steaming "platforms".

The "state" play is one of the most interesting ideas Google presented, especially since its provided via weblink and can just be passed around. This will make things like Twitch and YouTube gaming MUCH, MUCH more immersive.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cul...google-stadia/

I'm really interested in finding out how badly bottlenecks effect this platform and how much data a typical gamer can assume to burn using this.

I like a lot of all this in theory, I'm not a strict physical copy only person so I'm not that upset about not owning a physical copy, especially since it seems like you can buy account linked game licenses.

The upfront cost isn't that expensive so I'm waffling if I want to pre-order.
    Pull List:

I'm confused. Is it a subscription service where all the games are included free as part of a subscription or is it a subscription service and you have to pay for the games?

If the games are included free as a subscription service I could easily see it take over steam or epic, but if you also have to pay for games I don't know if the gimmick of not having to buy a console or upgrade your pc is going to be worth it. You would still need decent internet connection and some monitor. Odds are if they have a decent internet connection and monitor, they probably already have a pc/console that they like.

It seems like they're making a bet on whether or not internet service speed is cheaper and more easily available compared to hardware(PC/Console) and the consumers have to choose which they'd prefer to sink money into.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    I'm confused. Is it a subscription service where all the games are included free as part of a subscription or is it a subscription service and you have to pay for the games?

If the games are included free as a subscription service I could easily see it take over steam or epic, but if you also have to pay for games I don't know if the gimmick of not having to buy a console or upgrade your pc is going to be worth it. You would still need decent internet connection and some monitor. Odds are if they have a decent internet connection and monitor, they probably already have a pc/console that they like.

It seems like they're making a bet on whether or not internet service speed is cheaper and more easily available compared to hardware(PC/Console) and the consumers have to choose which they'd prefer to sink money into.
    The $9.99 will function similar to PS+ or XBLGold plus where each month you get access to a small selection of games. But people will also have the option to buy game licenses out right. the $9.99 Option will also include higher graphic streaming options, but there will be a base free version, that you can just purchase licenses for.

For me the selling point is being able to continue playing on any chrome-enabled device, and not having to invest in hardware as technology improves. It will be cool to play Elder Scrolls 6 from my Pixel (lets be honest 4 or 5), and then pic up my save state when I get home and play on the big screen.
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    The $9.99 will function similar to PS+ or XBLGold plus where each month you get access to a small selection of games. But people will also have the option to buy game licenses out right. the $9.99 Option will also include higher graphic streaming options, but there will be a base free version, that you can just purchase licenses for.

For me the selling point is being able to continue playing on any chrome-enabled device, and not having to invest in hardware as technology improves. It will be cool to play Elder Scrolls 6 from my Pixel (lets be honest 4 or 5), and then pic up my save state when I get home and play on the big screen.
    Thanks for clarifying. I guess I'm at wait and see. Controller input, latency, and lag makes me skeptical. I also don't think people have as much access to great internet speeds as much as google thinks they do. I think Apple has a similar problem in that they seem to be focused on upper middle class households, people who live in urban areas, but (IMO) video games have always been aimed at young people with limited incomes and resources.

:: Could be wrong.

Got really terrible connection speeds so this stuff won't work for me, plus i'm not really interested in subscription type stuff, haven't properly paid for Live for years, just the £1 deals which I refund 3/4 of the way through like a cheap bastard lol

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The type of games I play will make stadia a no go for me. Latency issues will make them unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The type of games I play will make stadia a no go for me. Latency issues will make them unplayable.
    This is what I'm wondering about in general. They are promising 4K 60FPS, granted to achieve that you need at least a 35Mb/s connection.

The upfront cost isn't too steep, and at the minimum I get an extra 4K chromecast from that so even if it's a failed experiment I can still make use of the "scavenged" parts.

If I can use the controller as an extra PC controller then I've basically lost nothing by being an early adopter.
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    This is what I'm wondering about in general. They are promising 4K 60FPS, granted to achieve that you need at least a 35Mb/s connection..
    It could also be where tossing Net Neutrality could finally come to a head. Not sure if that possibility is baked into their plans. Obviously not a problem on Google's end, but it could erase a lot of the cost benefit for customers.

Fantastic Member

I have three unanserwed questions:

1.) who is the intedead audiance? casuals have thegames available on ios and google play PC/console have no benefit. heck one could argue the switch does a better job/ is an better option

2.) are they aware that the service would be a strain on the Internetconection of most households? I would argue the technology is roughly a decade/a generation too early.

3.) will I own the games? what if the service shuts down? if this flops will alphabet pour money to keep it alive?

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

As on youtuber joked , he discussed this in a chat and then posted all of Google's failures that they quit within months. As he joked do you want to bet this fails just as fast ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    As on youtuber joked , he discussed this in a chat and then posted all of Google's failures that they quit within months. As he joked do you want to bet this fails just as fast ?
    I would argue even faster

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    What did you say?

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    What did you say?
    I had to agree with him really as he showed the numerous failures Google has had. Plus I did laugh at the joke as he listed all of the failed things Google has done.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.