Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shazam! Recommendations

Hey everyone, with the movie comming very soon. What Shazam! (Captain Marvel) should be read ?

What do you thing of that :

1940 - Here comces Captain Marvel - Whiz Comics #2 - First appearance of Captain Marvel
    1942 - Attack of Captain Nazi - Master Comcis #21 + Whiz Comics #25 + Master Comics #22-23 - Birth of Captain Marvel Jr.
    1942 - Captain Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr. Proudly Present Mary Marvel - Captain Marvel Adventures #18 - Introduction of Mary Marvel
    1945 - The Mighty Marvels Join Forces! - Marvel Family #1 - First appearance of Black Adam
    1947 - The Sivana Family Strikes at the Marvel Family - Marvel Family #10 - A travel throu time
    1953 - Captain Marvel Battles the World - Captain Marvel Adventures #148 - Captain Marvel has to convince the Humans to live in peace
    1973 - The Greatest stories of the world's mightiest mortals - Shazam! #8 - including the origins of the Shazam! Familly
    1974 - Make way for Captain Thunder! - Superman #276 - The fight to decide the Super-Hero Championship of the World
    1977 - Ibac Meets Aunt Minerva! - Shazam! #29 - An aliance of all Shazam's vilains
    1984 - With One Magic Word! - DC Comics Presents Annual #3 - Shazam! gets his powers stollen
    1994 - The Power of Shazam! - One-shot - Graphic novel that re-establishes the origin of Captain Marvel. Its success spawned The Power of Shazam ongoing series.
    1995 - Fade to Black - The Flash #107 - Flash and Captain Marvel have to team up - by Mark Waid
    1998 - JLA: World Without Grown-Ups - JLA: World Without Grown-Ups #1-2 - Grown-ups disapear and the Young Justice asks Billy Batson for his help. Sets up the upcoming Young Justice ongoing
    2000 - Shazam! The Power of Hope - One-shot - Origins of Shazam! by Paul Dini
    2006 - Superman/Shazam!: First Thunder - Superman/Shazam! #1-4 - The first meeting of The Last Son of Krypton and Earth's Mightiest Mortal
    2007 - Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil - Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil #1-4 - by Jeff Smith
    2011 - That Holiday Feeling - All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold #2 - Captain Marvel has to come help Batman
    2013 - Shazam! New52 - Justice League New52 #7-11, 0, 14-16, 18-21 - Backstory of Justice League and new origins of Shazam! by Geoff Johns
    2015 - New Thunderworld Adventures - The Multiversity: Thunderworld Adventures - Journey to Earth-5 – A.K.A. Thunderworld! - Part of Multiversity by Grant Morrison
    2015 - Return of the Thunder - Convergence Shazam! #1-2 - Fawcet City vs. Gotham by Gaslight
    2019 - Shazam! And the Seven Magic Lands! - Shazam #1 - All new serie by Geoff Johns
    Last edited by jb681131; 03-20-2019 at 01:02 AM.

Have you already read 1994's

The Power of Shazam! graphic novel by Jerry Ordway?
    (That led into Ordway's 1995-1999 run.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Have you already read 1994's

The Power of Shazam! graphic novel by Jerry Ordway?
    (That led into Ordway's 1995-1999 run.)
    No but I'll add it the list. I've actually only read the New52 Justice League story.

What about the issue where Mary Marvel debuts?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    What about the issue where Mary Marvel debuts?
    Maybe. What issue is that ?

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Maybe. What issue is that ?
    I think about issue #17. It was definitely after Capt Marvel Jr.

I think about issue #17. It was definitely after Capt Marvel Jr.
    Issue #17 of what ? Could you have done a bit of research and given me the real issue !

Issue #17 of what ? Could you have done a bit of research and given me the real issue !
    Since you asked so nicely:

Captain Marvel Adventures #18 - December 1942

Retired

The story of Captain Nazi, which resulted in the birth of Captain Marvel, Jr., stretched over four issues. First in MASTER COMICS 21, where he was challenged by Bulletman and Captain Marvel, then in WHIZ COMICS 25 where Freddy becomes Junior, then back to MASTER COMICS 22 and 23 in the new CM Jr. feature.

And I'd also suggest that the debut of Mary Marvel in CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES 18 is one of the best comics to read. There's lots of other great stories of the Marvels from their Fawcett days that are worth a look. I remember buying SHAZAM! 8 (December 1973) which was just bursting with such stories including that Mary premiere and the introduction of Mr. Tawky Tawny.

Since you asked so nicely:

Captain Marvel Adventures #18 - December 1942
    Thanks. Added it to my list above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The story of Captain Nazi, which resulted in the birth of Captain Marvel, Jr., stretched over four issues. First in MASTER COMICS 21, where he was challenged by Bulletman and Captain Marvel, then in WHIZ COMICS 25 where Freddy becomes Junior, then back to MASTER COMICS 22 and 23 in the new CM Jr. feature.

And I'd also suggest that the debut of Mary Marvel in CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES 18 is one of the best comics to read. There's lots of other great stories of the Marvels from their Fawcett days that are worth a look. I remember buying SHAZAM! 8 (December 1973) which was just bursting with such stories including that Mary premiere and the introduction of Mr. Tawky Tawny.
    Thanks, aduster the Captain Nazi story and added Shazam! #8 to the above list.

What about this?

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    What about this?

Well, what about this ?
    Don't know what it's worth.
    But I still added it because it's part of Multiversity and I heard good about this project.

Well, what about this ?
    Don't know what it's worth.
    But I still added it because it's part of Multiversity and I heard good about this project.
    I've seen a few Cap Marvel fans highly recommend it, figured it was worth adding.

I would recommend Geoff Johns JSA run starting around vol 3 or 4. Billy Batson and his super alter ego play an integral part of the team.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!