Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Name Three Positive Attributes About A Character You Don't Get

I see no point to character bashing. People love what they love. No one is going to change their mind or tastes or preferences because some fool on the internet thinks that by bashing a character he/she/them can get the masses to turn against them. In fact, usually it's just the opposite, when I see people bashing my favorite, my love and protectiveness of my fave only grows. A universe like Marvel works because there is something in it for everybody. Not every character has to be geared towards one person's tastes. Variety is the spice of life. And out of courtesy to other fans, I feel that fandom would be a better place that instead of bashing a character you don't care about, everyone made an attempt to at least see what others see in that character. Not saying that anyone has to love a character they don't otherwise seek out (or maybe even actively avoid), but maybe, at least, respect what other people may see in said character, understand where your fellow Marvel fans are coming from in the very least.

So, in the spirit of that, here's the challenge. Take a character you've been tempted to or have actually bashed in the past (or just a character you're ambivalent about), and name three positive things about them. And no backhanded compliments, like, "well, I like their friends so I guess they have good taste in friends at least". This thread is meant to be positive, and I'd like it to remain as such. So only three positive things about the character specifically: their attributes, their personality, their skill, or their specific virtues.

Stingray:

1) he has an interesting costume

2) he isn't a religious extremist

3) eh, i tried.

Daken Akihiro

1-He can be a funny trol some times, like when he burned Norman by touching the Spider-Man buttom lol.

2-His machiaveli style of planning has his moments, like in Colision.

3-He gave proper respect to Logan when he died and tried to be a better man (i thougth than that was OCC for him, but hey at least he gave a proper burial to his dad).

Superior Spider-Man

1-He was a pretty original idea at the time

2-He didn't mind the fact that Anna Maria was a midget.

3-He recognized his mistakes at the end of Superior (don't really like the execution of that, but he did it, credit were credit is due).
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I'm flattered, Michael Watkins, that you loved my quote from a tongue-in-cheek response to an Avengers variant that featured Steve, Carol, Peter and Riri sitting around eating pizza enough to use it as your signature. Thank you for the compliment.

1. 70's looks are banging.

2. Pretty cool when they were a kid.

3. In one of the best stories ever.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Reed Richards:

-- His stretchy powers are used well in battle in Unthinkable and in FF#200 (by Wolfman)

-- He has the all-time greatest line in any Marvel comic: "The highway to infinity...the junction to everywhere."

-- Doom considers him his greatest enemy and hates him above all else, so there must be something to him.

Extraordinary Member

Doctor Strange:
    - Has one of the best origin stories in comics history.
    - Being an actual medical doctor is much more interesting than the usual science genius background.
    - Has good chemistry with a lot of different characters from all corners of the Marvel universe.

Star-Lord:
    - Leadership (all team members follow his lead & obey his orders).
    - Gets to travel through space, and doesn't seem to suffer any ill-effects from space travel.
    - Kitty Pryde has an attraction towards him.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 03-25-2019 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Stingray:

1) he has an interesting costume

2) he isn't a religious extremist

3) eh, i tried.
    C'mon!

3) He's a freaking oceanographer! He's like a Super Jacques Cousteau, in tech armor!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Squirrel Girl

She's a Ditko character.

She doesn't have the typical, comic book, sexualized female body type.

Cosplayers seem to like wearing her costume.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    C'mon!

3) He's a freaking oceanographer! He's like a Super Jacques Cousteau, in tech armor!
    genuine question. is Jacques Cousteau cool? like compare him to Indiana Jones.

Punisher

1. His more modern costumes genuinely look interesting
    2. His Secret War moment was pretty cool
    3. He was pretty good in Daredevil S2 (did not watch his main series, can not comment)
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    genuine question. is Jacques Cousteau cool? like compare him to Indiana Jones.
    O_o

Of course, he's cool! He's like the guy who made oceanography cool. Every scuba diver in the world gets to scuba because of Cousteau -- he co-invented the aqualung.

He traveled the world filming amazing underwater documentaries, and won 3 Oscars, and amazing TV shows.

And he fought actual Nazis and was part of the French Resistance in WWII.

O_o

Of course, he's cool! He's like the guy who made oceanography cool. Every scuba diver in the world gets to scuba because of Cousteau -- he co-invented the aqualung.

He traveled the world filming amazing underwater documentaries, and won 3 Oscars, and amazing TV shows.

I agree. Jacques Cousteau is the epitome of cool. He's the reason my first major in college was marine biology (unfortunately, I let a cousin who had duel degrees in marine biology and economics talk me into switching majors as he felt I'd have trouble in the job market with a marine biology degree).

Varying interest are what makes Marvel great. Not everyone has to find the Jacques Cousteaus of the world (and fictional world) great, the point is that some do. And everyone deserves to have a character that they can relate to and enjoy. There's something for everybody.

O_o

and what does he have in common with Walter, again (outside of liking water)? if you want to impress me, make Walt like Quint.