Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The quote is from the C2E2 panel:

Now I'm wondering how different things might have been if Bendis had decided not to leave the Avengers and Hickman had gotten X-Men... but then he'd probably have run right into the war between Marvel and Fox in the mid-10s, so maybe it's all for the best.
    I wonder if that would mean he would have simply done his Secret Wars stuff through the X-Men instead of the Avengers books. He was already doing Fantastic Four, so the seeds of Secret Wars was already being planted.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I wonder if that would mean he would have simply done his Secret Wars stuff through the X-Men instead of the Avengers books. He was already doing Fantastic Four, so the seeds of Secret Wars was already being planted.
    I mean, there wasn't much about his Secret Wars storyline that was really Avengers centric, the team books were more his vehicles for telling what ended up being another FF story in the end, so I don't think it would've changed much.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, there wasn't much about his Secret Wars storyline that was really Avengers centric, the team books were more his vehicles for telling what ended up being another FF story in the end, so I don't think it would've changed much.
    I always thougth that most of his Avengers were action figures instead of characthers, he was more focus in his big concepts than in the team IMO.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I always thougth that most of his Avengers were action figures instead of characthers, he was more focus in his big concepts than in the team IMO.
    His Avengers, yeah.

New Avengers was where I think the real story was for Hickman.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

His Avengers, yeah.

Me too. This is where the core part of the story with the incursions, the plans with Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom and the Molecule Man takes place, which all ends in Secret Wars. It caps off his Fantastic Four run in an epic way.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-26-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

He did have a lot of cool big concepts. But he also did a great bromance with Thor and Hyperion as well as the stuff with Cannonball, marriage and the kid.

His Avengers, yeah.

And yes. Anyone that says Hickman doesn't do characters wasn't reading New Avengers. That was mostly characterization, under CRUSHING circumstances.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

The problems with the characters in the Life side of Hickvengers are fixed with that Avengers World DLC.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

His Avengers, yeah.

I can agreed with that.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Same.

Big concepts are fine, but characterization is just as important. Hickman's run didn't impress (and neither did the ridiculous 2-page spreads that were nothing but diagrams).

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Same.

Big concepts are fine, but characterization is just as important. Hickman's run didn't impress (and neither did the ridiculous 2-page spreads that were nothing but diagrams).
    Well clearly you are never going to be a Hickman fan. His entire career has been about graphic design in comics. He is all about diagrams, symbols, heraldry and other iconography. They are one of the ways he likes to express his big concepts, and one should expect more of this in his X-Men work.

As to character, Hickman’s style is epic and sweeping with characterisation focused upon key stress moments. This isn’t a lack of character, this is presenting characters as larger than life, pivotal figures.

Ironically TheCape’s accusation of them being action figures is spot on. But that is not lack of character, that’s broad brush stroke, epic characterisation. Those of us that are fans of Hickman don’t see this as a flaw, it is his style. The style we applaud and are looking forward to.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

I like what he did with the inhumans. He did a great job creating characters and lore. I can imagine him taking the X-Men to a whole new level. Based on the titles, he's probably gonna create new concepts for them. I'm glad Jean's back for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Anyone that says Hickman doesn't do characters wasn't reading New Avengers. That was mostly characterization, under CRUSHING circumstances.
    Agreed. It's funny, I read all of his Avengers and New Avengers (plus Secret Wars) in one great TPB binge last year over the course of a month or two. So for me, it's all just "Hickman's Avengers" and I don't necessarily recall what was in which title. Maybe that's why I'm always perplexed when people make this "Hickman's Avengers are all cardboard cutouts for action scenes and big concepts" criticism. I found his Illuminati really compelling tragic characters. I also loved his Captain Universe, whom I wish we'd seen more of.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Agreed. It's funny, I read all of his Avengers and New Avengers (plus Secret Wars) in one great TPB binge last year over the course of a month or two. So for me, it's all just "Hickman's Avengers" and I don't necessarily recall what was in which title. Maybe that's why I'm always perplexed when people make this "Hickman's Avengers are all cardboard cutouts for action scenes and big concepts" criticism. I found his Illuminati really compelling tragic characters. I also loved his Captain Universe, whom I wish we'd seen more of.
    I tend to lump all that together also, including Infinity, though New Avengers, besides the obvious reason, sticks the most in my not so great memory.

Some people made the same complaint about his Fantastic Four run, but I found it full of nice characterization as well as Big Plots. I don't even like Spider-Man, and that team-up issue he did with him and Torch was just wonderful.

I also wonder about folks complaining about characterization. Cause right now, Chip Zdarsky's Invaders is one of the best books for that, and it is full of emotion -- and yet, it continues to be outsold by bombastic, flashy, emotionless comics.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 03-30-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well clearly you are never going to be a Hickman fan. His entire career has been about graphic design in comics. He is all about diagrams, symbols, heraldry and other iconography. They are one of the ways he likes to express his big concepts, and one should expect more of this in his X-Men work.

As to character, Hickman’s style is epic and sweeping with characterisation focused upon key stress moments. This isn’t a lack of character, this is presenting characters as larger than life, pivotal figures.

Ironically TheCape’s accusation of them being action figures is spot on. But that is not lack of character, that’s broad brush stroke, epic characterisation. Those of us that are fans of Hickman don’t see this as a flaw, it is his style. The style we applaud and are looking forward to.

Well said, good sir! Well said!!!!

On a side note, someone (I can't remember if it was in this thread or another one) made a jabbing remark about Hickman always having a female character thrown in who's stark-white in appearance.....I took grave offense to that remark. In East Of West, it's a male character who has that look (Wolf), while Wolf's female paramour (Crow) is jet-black in appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post

Exactly. There's a graphic look to much of Hickman's work and it's a huge reason I was disappointed he wasn't doing Legion of Super-Heroes over at DC. Some of the magic of his look is that it looks different. It's the combination between a graphic shine and getting the basics of a series that makes Hickman's successes successes.