Spectacular Member

Default Did they ever explain what Jor-El was doing as Mr. Oz?

I didn't really buy the books, but I remember that it was tied into Dr. Manhattan somehow. I'm reading Doomsday Clock and that whole thing hasn't been brought up. I think he had a jail or something?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    I didn't really buy the books, but I remember that it was tied into Dr. Manhattan somehow. I'm reading Doomsday Clock and that whole thing hasn't been brought up. I think he had a jail or something?
    It's explained in the oz affect, not the specific reasons on Manhattan's side, but Jor El's pov. We assume Johns will eventually explain Manhattan's reasons in doomsday clock. Bendis also is apparently in synch with what Geoff is doing so it may be possible we get follow up in his superman run eventually.

The jail and staff were apparently allowing Jor El to "hide" from Manhattan and try to "help" Superman and his family. But also controlling or at least influencing him into committing terrorist acts to show Clark how humanity wasn't worth saving. Or something. It's theorized that it was an effort to strip Superman of Hope and isolate him. Once the staff was destroyed Manhattan captured him. He then showed up in Man of Steel without any mention of any of that.

Doesn't all quite fit really. If he was hiding from Manhattan, why was he trying to undermine Superman? And why was he helping him initially and then trying to show him humanity wasn't worth saving?

A lot is still to be revealed if it hasn't all been retconmed already.

Amazing Member

It seemed to me like the original plan was that Mr. Oz/Jor-EL was the warden for a prison for people that Doctor Manhattan removed from time, but plans changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    A lot is still to be revealed if it hasn't all been retconmed already.
    I hope the whole story of Jor-El surviving Krypton is retconned eventually. Not a fan of his storyline at all. I'm interested in seeing how the whole Rogol Zaar storyline plays out but I'm not feeling the whole "Jor El survived" storyline and what they've done with his character.

I do like Bendis as a writer and look forward to seeing where he goes with the Superman titles.

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    I hope the whole story of Jor-El surviving Krypton is retconned eventually. Not a fan of his storyline at all. I'm interested in seeing how the whole Rogol Zaar storyline plays out but I'm not feeling the whole "Jor El survived" storyline and what they've done with his character.

I do like Bendis as a writer and look forward to seeing where he goes with the Superman titles.
    I had a theory that before Bendis took over Jurgen's was building towards having Jor El sacrifice himself to save Lois, Jon, and Sam Lane. The Booster arc was basically built on the idea that you can't change the past, but then he immediately goes against that to save Lois, Jon, and Sam. Supposedly the plan before Bendis came in was that Lois was going to be out of the books for a while after 1000, which kinda lends some support to that idea. Like the timeline was going to find some way to kill them all and Jor El would essentially be able to return to Krypton and stop himself from being saved, since he was an aberration to begin with, saving them by erasing his existence and all the events that surrounded that so Clark would be there to save them.

Bendis changed that and obviously some other stuff with his story. I think Jor El is likely to stick around for Bendis' run, I think they are going to contrast him with Sam Lane a bit as well. But I would not be surprised if eventually he's sent back to die on Krypton, particularly if Ma and Pa Kent eventually come back in some way.

BANNED

maybe he and the flashpoint Batman will star in a revived world's finest title where they deliberate on how they are going to plan out their sons and grandsons lives for them whether they liked it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    Yeah, I agree with that. "Jor-El comes back as a villain" is number one on my list of stories I hope never get adapted into a movie or TV show in any capacity.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member

I had thought that when the (flamed out) New 52 Superman and Lois were merged with the Convergence Superman and Lois, an event which they now remember as "Mxy's 'strange attack'", the time line would be reset and Mr. Oz would go away with it. I kind of wish he had been removed from the present continuity, just as Lois and Clark's life in California has been.

Spectacular Member

Was Mr. Oz originally supposed to be Ozymandias? Do we know who he had imprisoned?

Was Mr. Oz originally supposed to be Ozymandias? Do we know who he had imprisoned?
    I honestly think he probably was, but once Johns figured out that he needed Ozymandias for Doomsday Clock they had to reshuffle things and he became Jor El. Because the knowledge that he had of the split corrected by Reborn doesn't really fit with Jor El. It would make sense for Ozymandias to know that coming from outside reality.

And it was Doomsday, Mxy, Tim Drake, that multiversal guy from Tomasi & Gleason's run, and a few others.
    Last edited by Yoda; 03-21-2019 at 01:58 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I feel like I might be the only one who has more or less warmed up to the idea of Jor-El being alive now. Don't get me wrong, Oz Effect wasn't really for me with it's pretty straightforward take on him. But I really dig Jor-El now as someone who means well and does good, but is deeply lost and possibly unwell, and kind of just looking for a tether. I genuinely feel for this guy who has a hard time expressing himself to people.

Plus, he's a Superman character with a built in exit strategy: when he dies his son lays him to rest at the remains of Krypton. He's together with his wife again.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.