Default Wait... people didn't like that game?

I was just reading and article about Konami's upcoming classics collection. The article referred to Castlevania II: Simon's Quest as infamous.

It was like a record skip, to me that's one of the best ones. SotN, Simon's Quest, Dracula's Curse, if those were the only Castlevania games I'd have said the series was flawless.

What games did you love growing up, that now you've discovered weren't nearly as popular as you believed.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I was always under the impression that people generally liked Simon's Quest.

As for me, I'd say that Streets of Rage 3. I was surprised to see so many people consider it inferior to SoR2. I played the hell out of both games growing up, but always found myself going back to SoR3 more often.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I'm always surprised at how much hate I see online for Toejam and Earl 2: Panic on Funkotron. Sure, it was a major departure from the original's roguelike gameplay, but it always felt like a top tier 16 bit platformer in terms of creativity and gameplay.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    I was always under the impression that people generally liked Simon's Quest.
    Simon Quest takes hate mainly because of the horrible localization. It can difficult to know how to proceed and the NPCs don't really help.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Telltale’s Guardians Of The Galaxy game. Reasons for hate apparently included ‘don’t like the clearly comics inspired graphics’, ‘don’t like the fact it’s too much like the movies’ (why would it be otherwise?) and ‘don’t like it cause it’s not Tales From The Borderlands 2 which this was clearly ripped off from and clearly cancelled’.

A shame because this is definitely Telltale’s most underrated game in my opinion. Sadly I don’t think they and Marvel promoted it well enough, so Batman (which I do admittedly like more) got a lot more attention. Give it a try if you haven’t played it yet!

A lot of NES-era games I didn't necessarily love, but I wanted to love and because they were poorly designed and hard to figure out, I only remember kind of idly playing them but never really progressing. Castlevania II, Zelda II, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle games being prime examples of that. But the real answers for this question for me comes from the early PS2 days.

Square-Enix (Squaresoft at the time) made a very early-era PS2 game called The Bouncer which wasn't the deepest or most interesting game, but it was basically like playing an action movie with Japanese flavor. I couldn't tell you what I remember of the plot, but I do remember the characters for standing out and having interesting designs and put a lot of hours into it. The game's main protagonist, Sion Barzahd, looks like a huge prototype character design for Sora from Kingdom Hearts. The Bouncer was pretty much all style and no substance though. It has a kind of typical Japanese game plot, the gameplay is very simple and easy to abuse for the bulk of the game, but since it was a Square game, it was really pretty, especially for the time both in-game and in cutscenes. Reviews for it were sub-par.

Like Zelda II it sort of incorporated a lot of RPG elements which threw some people off who were used to the more linear first game.

Of course later on this sort of became the norm for the series.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I would like it if Nintendo made another Zelda like the Adventure of Link. It's been vindicated these days. I'm pretty sure Skyward Sword is the new Black sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I would like it if Nintendo made another Zelda like the Adventure of Link. It's been vindicated these days. I'm pretty sure Skyward Sword is the new Black sheep.

Wind Waker took some time to catch on as people didn't warm up to the 'toon' style.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Toejam and Earl II ... I guess I was in the minority that liked the platform style over the OG wanderer style.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

People remembered Simon's Quest fondly until loud mouthed "critics" on the internet started listing it as one of the worst games ever.

iMan 42s

That Sega Iron man game.

People kept bashing on the controls but I've played both the PS2 and 360 versions and I had no problem with it whatsoever. It didn't lend itself to a 60 dollar price-tag but it was still a complete game and the extra suits had been really fun. I still have fond memories of the Hulkbuster unlocking and going back through the game. Sure I'm an Iron man fan but just because he's on the box doesn't mean I'll instantly find it good.

Now the Iron man 2 game was kind of bad.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.