Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I was looking into some Black Canary stuff that's currently on sale on Comixology. Are there any particular books I should check out? Link for reference: https://www.comixology.com/comics-sa...d=37587&lang=1

225px-Ironmunrodcu0.jpg

Any recs on Iron Munro? I recently read JSA: Worlds at War and i always love heroes who wear civvies.

All-New Member

Hi all,

Just looking for new DC/Marvel comics to pick up and particularly interested when older heroes undergo a renaissance. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mackiebaby View Post
    Hi all,

Just looking for new DC/Marvel comics to pick up and particularly interested when older heroes undergo a renaissance. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
    Green Lantern: Rebirth
    The Flash: Rebirth
    DC Universe Rebirth

All-New Member

I would effeminately recommend these 2:
    -Batman: Court OF Owls (Scott Snyder) and Death and Maidens (Greg Rucka)

Hi all,

Thanks.
    The title "Grayson" by Tom King after the event of Forever Evil where Dick Grayson becomes a spy because his secret identity was revealed by Darkseid.
    Not really a renaissance, but a big evolution, I would suggest the "Suicide Squad: Bad Blood" by Tom Taylor.
    The New Justice League by Scott Snyder after the events of "Batman: Metal" and "Justice League: No Justice" - where Martian Manhunter gets back his role as leader of the team.
    All the somewhat solo or ex-vilain joined together by Batman to help him in his crusade in James Tynion IV's Detective Comics run.
    Swamp Thing when Alan Moore takes over. I would sugget to read Len Wein's run before.
    Barry Alen during the New52 Flash run, totally rework from his pre-new52 version (Flash New52).
    I would suggest also the possible future that is "Future State" with all king of possible new future version of every heros.
    I propose the Evolution of Amanda Waller and Sasha Bordeau in the title "Checkmate" avec the events of "New Gotham", "Batman: murderer & fugitive", and "OMAC project".
    Batgirl by Simone Gail at the begining of the New52 era where Barbara Gorgon can walk again.
    The total rework of Mister Miracle by Tom King, it's not canon but interresting - followed by "Female Furies" by Cecil Castellucci.
    I propose the new version of Harley Quinn's origins by Stjepan Šejić in "Harleen".
    Wonder Woman is more and more linked to Magic and even leads the Justice League Dark, the Justice League Dark during the Rebirth/Metal era (it start right after "JL: No Justice").
    What if Batman started to existe 100 years later from now, in "Batman: Year 100" by Paul Pope.
    The heroes and vilains have to adapted after every major heroes are infected by a new virus created by Darkseid in "DCeased" by Tom Taylor.
    The new version of Superman by Grant Morrison after Flashpoint. And then the comeback of the old one in "Superman: Lois & Clark", "Superman: The Final Days of Superman " and "Superman Reborn".
    The comeback of Jason Todd in "Under the Red Hood" and "Red Hood: the lost days" after "Batman: A Death in the Familly" (this exact title).
    Batman after the Knightfall Event, in the Knightfall Saga.
    Batman after his comeback after Final Crisis in Batman's run by Grant Morrison. You can pursue this storyline in "Batman and Robin New52" and finaly in "Robin: Son of Batman".
    The more real versions of every heros in the "Earth-one" graphic novels.
    The comeback of Hal Jordan by Geoff Johns - read his entire run for the full stroyline.
    Hal Jordan doing mission on far away sectors during Grant Morrison's run on "The Green Lantern" and "The Green Lantern: season two".
    An alternate version of Wonder Woman, that wakes up after a memory loss in a post-apocalyptic world in "Wonder Woman: Dead Earth".
    When Aquaman became the mayor of "Subdiego" in "Aquaman: Subdiego/To Serve and Protect /Kingdom Lost" after a Tsunami.
    The New version of the Doom Patrol by Gerard Way.
    The soft reboot of Swamp Thing by Charles Soule during the New52 era.
    The new Animal Man by Jeff Lemir in the New52 title.

That's all I can think of right now.

Hi all,

Thanks.
    Hopefully, this counts. But definitely, my choice would be Batman & Robin (2009):
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Batman_and_Robin_Vol_1

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-18-2021 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the Archie Goodwin/Walt Simonson Manhunter. It originally appeared as a feature in Detective Comics in the 1970s. It has been reprinted a few times in various formats. And it is one of the best things DC has done, in my opinion.

A couple of other recommendations (that I haven't seen included on anybody else's lists):

Tim Truman's Hawkworld
    Billy Batson and the Power of Shazam
    Kyle Baker's Plastic Man
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the Archie Goodwin/Walt Simonson Manhunter. It originally appeared as a feature in Detective Comics in the 1970s. It has been reprinted a few times in various formats. And it is one of the best things DC has done, in my opinion.

A couple of other recommendations (that I haven't seen included on anybody else's lists):

Tim Truman's Hawkworld
    Kyle Baker's Plastic Man
    Yes, great miss, but maybe because they are lesser known heroes (well Shazam a little).

OMG! Since it's alright to mention them, I truly love both versions...

Billy Batson & the Magic of SHAZAM!
    (Mike Norton)

The Power of SHAZAM!
    (Jerry Ordway)

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-19-2021 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    OMG! Since it's alright to mention them, I truly love both versions...

Billy Batson & the Magic of SHAZAM!
    (Mike Norton)

The Power of SHAZAM!
    (Jerry Ordway)

I seldom could stomach a Captain Marvel story after he was integrated into the core DC universe. BTW, as I remember Billy Batson and the Power of Shazam, Captain Marvel, Jr. never appeared in it. Is my recollection wrong?
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

I seldom could stomach a Captain Marvel story after he was integrated into the core DC universe.
    Completely understandable. I feel the same way. Still a nice effort, though.
    BTW, as I remember Billy Batson and the Power of Shazam, Captain Marvel, Jr. never appeared in it. Is my recollection wrong?
    Captain Marvel, Jr. finally DID appear towards the end (https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Billy_Bat...azam!_Vol_1_19):

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Justice League- The Last Ride
    Was it a good read? How was the overall response?

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

With The New Godlen Age launching I've been wondering what Justice Society stories do you recommend?

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    With The New Godlen Age launching I've been wondering what Justice Society stories do you recommend?
    DC Special #29 - The origin of the JSA
    JSA - by Goyer & Johns (the first couple of years in particular are stellar)
    The Golden Age - Robinson & Smith (Elseworlds story, but BRILLIANT)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.