Extraordinary Member

Default Favorite Doom Patrol storyline

From any version, what is your favorite Doom Patrol storyline?

Amazing Member

It's just one issue, but Morrison and Case's "Going Underground" from DP #30 was excellent, I'm not surprised the show adapted it relatively faithfully.

For longer stories, I loved the second Brotherhood of Dada story, I guess you could call it "Magic Bus," and the introduction of Danny the Street with the false Men from Nowhere, which would be "Down Paradise Way."

Fantastic Member

The defining DP story for me is their final Silver Age issue, where they sacrificed themselves to save a town of 14 people.

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-06-2024 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

DP issues 9-12.
    A couple of my favorite covers as a kid, Gargaux attacks, and a plot about Larry Trainor obsessively trying to get his negative energy being back.

DP issues 19-22.
    I mean come on.

DP 64-66.
    Following Grant Morrison’s no easy feat. Rachel Pollack stepped up.

I think it was the last issue of Morrison's run where Jane is in "hell". Overall the whole Candlemaker story with slow build up and brutal finish.

"Crawling From the Wreckage" is what got me into the Doom Patrol in the first place, so it holds that spot for me especially since so much of it was just new. Other storylines might have been better,("The Painting that Ate Paris" was great) but it's difficult to replicate the initial impact of being thrown into Morrison's world.

Fantastic Member

Candlemaker storyline

Morrison and Pollack runs were both so chock full of greatness, that it's hard for me to pick favourites from among those stories. psychedelic genius with an eye toward the future... the whole Rebis plot is perhaps even more relevant today than it was when it debuted.

I'll always have a soft spot for the 3-part introduction of the New Doom Patrol in Showcase when I was a kid. Also still love the first several issues of the Doom Patrol run starring that version with Steve Lightle on art. I also love the entire run by Keith Giffen and Matthew Clark that came out before Flashpoint screwed everything up at DC.

The very first appearance of the Doom Patrol -- My Greatest Adventures #80
    my.greatest.adventure-080.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    DP issues 9-12.
    A couple of my favorite covers as a kid, Gargaux attacks, and a plot about Larry Trainor obsessively trying to get his negative energy being back.
    I absolutely LOVED Paul Kupperberg's Doom Patrol. I mean, it gave us Erik Larsen, and, boy, was he a shock comming on the trail of Steve Lightle. That first arc by Kupperburg and Lightle is probably one of my favorites.

DP issues 19-22.
    I mean come on.
    Morrison sure found the right wierd tone to tell the Doom Patrol stories, and this was the story that showed it. Also among my favorites, alongside "Going Underground." Oddly enough, I didn't enjoy so much the Doom Patrol once it went "mature readers". It was missing a bit the super-hero shinnanigans. I guess I'm not much of a "mature reader".

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The very first appearance of the Doom Patrol -- My Greatest Adventures #80
    my.greatest.adventure-080.jpg
    Seconded! Truly an All-Time Classic!!

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."