Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,373

    Default Kryptonian families

    Everyone know s Krypton had this feudal family affiliation system where everyone was a member of some house(major or minor) and bore the name of that house.

    The most famous is the House of El.

    What are the others? We can see their names since the various Kryptonians bear them. But how much do we know about their histories?

    Here's a few I can remember without looking them up:
    Dim < Nadira Va-Dim, one of Zod's associates came from here
    El < Superman
    Em < Dev-Em
    Rel < Az-Rel, team Zod
    Vex < Car-Vex, team Zod (among others)
    Zod < Dru-Zod the general infamous for the revolt in Krypton's last days came from here

    How many of them have actually been described in any real detail?

  2. #2
    Fantastic Member magha_regulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Everyone know s Krypton had this feudal family affiliation system where everyone was a member of some house(major or minor) and bore the name of that house.

    The most famous is the House of El.

    What are the others? We can see their names since the various Kryptonians bear them. But how much do we know about their histories?

    Here's a few I can remember without looking them up:
    Dim < Nadira Va-Dim, one of Zod's associates came from here
    El < Superman
    Em < Dev-Em
    Rel < Az-Rel, team Zod
    Vex < Car-Vex, team Zod (among others)
    Zod < Dru-Zod the general infamous for the revolt in Krypton's last days came from here

    How many of them have actually been described in any real detail?
    There's also the house of Van as in Lor-Van father of Lara

  3. #3
    Fantastic Member magha_regulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    353

    Default

    There may be some relation between the house of Zee and the house of El since Van-Zee looked so similar to Kal-El. We know the house of Zee and the house of Var are related by marriage through the union of Van-Zee's niece Thara and his sidekick/lab assistant Ak-Var. Damn Bendis for killing off the Kandorians

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,373

    Default

    yeah, I know that wasn't all of them.

    Also in the Krypton tv series Kal-El(Superman)'s paternal grandmother is Nyssa-Vex. So the house of El is genetically connected to the house of Vex.

  5. #5
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,847

    Default

    House Ur < Jax Ur
    House Ui < Quex Ui
    House An < Tor An
    House Ty < Val Ty
    House Du < Xa Du

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    House Ur < Jax Ur
    House Ui < Quex Ui
    House An < Tor An
    House Ty < Val Ty
    House Du < Xa Du
    What are their histories though? that was actually the part of this that made me most curious. how do all these families interact with each other?
    Last edited by marhawkman; 08-24-2019 at 11:51 AM.

  7. #7
    Fantastic Member magha_regulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    353

    Default

    "Quex-Ul was a Kryptonian exiled to the Phantom Zone when he was convicted of killing Rondors, an endangered species, to use their healing horns for the purposes of profit. At a trial presided over by Jor-El, he confessed to the crimes and was sentenced to a twenty-five year exile in the Phantom Zone. He was released by Superman when his time was up. Not a grateful sort, he attempted to lure Superman into a Gold Kryptonite trap, until Superman discovered that Quex-Ul actually acted under the mental control of Rog-Ar, the true Rondor killer. Learning this, Quex-Ul threw himself into the gold Kryptonite radiation to save the hero, losing his powers and memory.[1]

    He later came to work at the Daily Planet, believing himself to be a human name "Charlie Kweeskill", but regained his powers and memory after he and Superman were trapped in the Phantom Zone by escaping criminals. Together, Quex-Ul and Superman sought a way to escape and eventually encountering a malevolent entity called Aethyr. Selflessly, Quex-Ul sacrificed his life to save the Man of Steel by flying into Aethyr in a final act of redemption."

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,373

    Default

    Hm, well, that's a good summary of some stuff Quex-Ul did, but what do we know about the House of Ul? Or Ar for that matter.

    I'm sure there are a lot of houses known only by name, the idea here was to collect information about those that we know more about.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 08-25-2019 at 08:09 AM.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,373

    Default

    Ok so I was talking about the Kara In-Ze and Alura In-Ze and realized they're not the only members of the House of Ze.

    Alura(or Allura) In-Ze is the name of Kara's mother in most versions.
    Kara In-Ze is DCAU Supergirl
    Astra In-Ze is a new character in Arrow/Supergirl who was a Kryptonian and Kara's aunt who was part of the revolt attempting to prevent the destruction of Krypton.

    I'm not sure if this should be considered the same as the family Zee. There were several of them. And I know they're related to the House of El, though I'm not sure if In-Ze is part of the same house. Also, unless it's a variant spelling, the House of Zee hasn't been seen in the post-crisis comics.

  10. #10
    Fantastic Member llozymandias's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hm, well, that's a good summary of some stuff Quex-Ul did, but what do we know about the House of Ul? Or Ar for that matter.

    I'm sure there are a lot of houses known only by name, the idea here was to collect information about those that we know more about.



    There was Faora Hu-Ul. Her fathe Hu-Ul. A Superboy story (from the early 80s) had Arn-Ul.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

  11. #11
    Fantastic Member llozymandias's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    There may be some relation between the house of Zee and the house of El since
    Van-Zee looked so similar to Kal-El. We know the house of Zee and the house of Var are related by marriage through the union of Van-Zee's niece Thara and his sidekick/lab assistant Ak-Var. Damn Bendis for killing off the Kandorians



    Actually Nim-Zee was Kal-El's 1st cousin once removed. His parents were Nim-Zee & Kala Var-El. Kala's father Var-El, was Kal-El's great grandfather.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

  12. #12
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    4,317

    Default

    Heh. In my headcanon, the Houses of Krypton all have surnames that sound suspiciously like English letters that begin with vowel sounds.

    Let's see ...

    El, Em, En, Er, Es, Ex, Ee, Ef, Ech (H)

    That's 9 houses. We could also add

    Aa, Al, Am, An, Ar, As, Ax.

    Ol, Om, On, Oo, Or, Os, Ox.

    If, In, Is, Ix.

    Un, Us.

    Yeah, lots of possibilities here.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Heh. In my headcanon, the Houses of Krypton all have surnames that sound suspiciously like English letters that begin with vowel sounds.

    Let's see ...

    El, Em, En, Er, Es, Ex, Ee, Ef, Ech (H)

    That's 9 houses. We could also add

    Aa, Al, Am, An, Ar, As, Ax.

    Ol, Om, On, Oo, Or, Os, Ox.

    If, In, Is, Ix.

    Un, Us.

    Yeah, lots of possibilities here.
    That's pretty much the same way it already is... We do have some like Var and Zod but a LOT of them are like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    There was Faora Hu-Ul. Her fathe Hu-Ul. A Superboy story (from the early 80s) had Arn-Ul.
    Hmm... Interesting, the next question is "What does this tell us about the house of Ul"? I suppose a lot of houses, especially lower ones, shared roles in society. Which role were they? I tried looking Arn-Ul up on the wiki but all I got was that he appeared in "Superman Vol 1 #338"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •