Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default James Gunn wanted Superman as a villain in the suicide squad

first Snyder wanted Superman as a villain, then Dwayne Johnson wanted him as a rival to Black Adam (I think it's obvious that the idea was for Superman to lose), now he almost becomes a villain of the suicide squad, not forgetting the beating at the hands of Batman.
    Superman = punching bag ?

There's always the sequel .

Incredible Member

Yes, this is where we are with these ridiculous movies. Let's be honest none of the people planning
    them have any real knowledge of Superman, except that they know he can fly and is very strong.

So they have these ridiculous planning meetings. Superman sounds very powerful, how
    do we think about some challenge? Then they just start spitballing things. That is how we
    end up with our current crop of movies.

At least they didn't make the Superman chases Krypto movie.

Retired

In the reality of THE SUICIDE SQUAD, I'm not sure what this means. Given the relative ethics, Superman just being Superman would make him a villain to someone. To Waller he would certainly be a villain because he doesn't play by her rules. To an agent of chaos like Harley, Superman's ordered existence would disturb her sensibilities. To the Thinker, Superman would be a joke because he doesn't understand the amoral nature of reality.

I'm not going to jump the Gunn and assume his Superman would have been the anti-Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In the reality of THE SUICIDE SQUAD, I'm not sure what this means. Given the relative ethics, Superman just being Superman would make him a villain to someone. To Waller he would certainly be a villain because he doesn't play by her rules. To an agent of chaos like Harley, Superman's ordered existence would disturb her sensibilities. To the Thinker, Superman would be a joke because he doesn't understand the amoral nature of reality.

I'm not going to jump the Gunn and assume his Superman would have been the anti-Superman.
    they had 2 possibilities.
    1: superman is controlled.
    2: superman becomes a villain.

You could have Superman be an secondary antagonist to the Squad. I don't think he'd approve of the Squad and try to shut it down. So the Squad has to outwit him in order to achieve their primary goal.

I’m cool with Bloodsport leading a team to take down Cavill, dude is a menace anyway, and I’m fine with building up Superman’s Rogues by letting them kick his ass. But it’s likely never going to happen now that they don’t have a Superman in the DCEU. Maybe they’ll target Supergirl if Gunn still wants to revisit that plot thread.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m cool with Bloodsport leading a team to take down Cavill, dude is a menace anyway, and I’m fine with building up Superman’s Rogues by letting them kick his ass. But it’s likely never going to happen now that they don’t have a Superman in the DCEU. Maybe they’ll target Supergirl if Gunn still wants to revisit that plot thread.
    Vordan, you're brutal .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Vordan, you're brutal .
    Lmao it’s just hard to really care. There’s so much evil Superman stuff that I have to learn to cope and at least this one would be about making Bloodsport look cool rather than the goddamn Batman. But it didn’t happen and likely never will because there is no DCEU Superman and I doubt WB will let either of the black Supermen be used for stuff like this. For those who wanted this, the Rocksteady SS video game will scratch that itch.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

how much of this is WB not getting Superman, and how much would've just been a way for WB to kill off Cavill's Superman because they don't want him back?

Retired

Is there some source that this topic is from? I liked THE SUICIDE SQUAD a lot and I find it hard to imagine that I would have liked it any less if Superman happened to be in it. Seems like others didn't like this movie as much as me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Is there some source that this topic is from? I liked THE SUICIDE SQUAD a lot and I find it hard to imagine that I would have liked it any less if Superman happened to be in it. Seems like others didn't like this movie as much as me.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yah...172959727.html

BANNED

I see that there are Superman fans who do not care that Superman is a villain, seeing the success of critics, the most certain is that in the sequel they will have a villain Superman, so congratulations in advance, it is not a joke or a bad comment Intentional, I mean it, at least some Superman fans will enjoy the character.
    As for me, I just hope they kill him, but this time permanently.

Retired

I have stopped clicking links unless the person providing the link gives a clear indication of what the link is about--too many times, I click a link and find I'm in a place I don't want to be. But I did a search of the topic and that took me to an INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS TIMES article. But reading that, there's hardly enough info to go on--and it could just be the article writer putting words in James Gunn's mouth--as there's no quote where Gunn used "villain" in reference to Superman. He says that he wanted Superman to fight the Suicide Squad--but since Task Force X is nominally a group of villains, that wouldn't make Superman the villain.

I'm not going to give a knee jerk reaction to any idea without knowing more about it.

Guess I'm not surprised. A bunch of creators think Superman is more interesting as a villain than a hero; what's one more guy?

At least it didn't happen... for now...