Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    My hope is to see Jor-El some day..
    I'm expecting for Cor-vex to be renamed Jor-El. Hell, maybe even Zor-el.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I'm expecting for Cor-vex to be renamed Jor-El. Hell, maybe even Zor-el.
    That would be nice (Jor-El). Sadly, with the ratings the show is getting I'm afraid we won't see a season 3. I don't understand why people are not watching this season, it's so good, imo. Last night episode was really exciting and tense. This show makes me proud to be a Superman fan and I love the cast. Not sure how it's doing in late viewing but I doubt it's doing great. Sigh.

http://www.thetvratingsguide.com/201...2-ratings.html

Arrow

That would be nice (Jor-El). Sadly, with the ratings the show is getting I'm afraid we won't see a season 3. I don't understand why people are not watching this season, it's so good, imo. Last night episode was really exciting and tense. This show makes me proud to be a Superman fan and I love the cast. Not sure how it's doing in late viewing but I doubt it's doing great. Sigh.

http://www.thetvratingsguide.com/201...2-ratings.html
    I've heard five reasons from my friends -

1.) Lack of any superheroes.

2.) People wanted a historical drama, not a story involving time travel.

3.) Lack of rootable characters. Most people don't like Zeg (sp?) or his buddies.

4.) Lack of an upbeat tone. Superman related fiction has always been about hope, not the dark & gritty.

5.) The nerfing of characters. Zeg & co. always come out on top or narrowly escape from disaster/serious harm due to plot armor as realistically he is no match for characters like Brainiac, Doomsday or Lobo. Make up your mind producers either make this a historical space opera or a superhero hero series it can't be both.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-18-2019 at 03:41 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I’m really beginning to loathe when people say “Superman is about hope” because that is such an utterly generic and meaningless term. Hope for what? Superman stories cover a wide range of topics from identity to loneliness to justice to the immigration experience to the superhero concept itself. Anyone who thinks “Superman fiction has always been about hope” is frankly an idiot. Jesus ever since they came up with that retcon to explain the “S” they’ve been spamming “hope” so hard I’m starting to hate it.

Well, thanks for calling me and millions perhaps billions of others around the world idiots that's really classy of you.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-18-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Well, thanks for calling me and millions perhaps billions of others around the world idiots that's really classy of you.
    Dude the “hope” bit? A modern retcon starting with Mark Waid’s Birthright to explain why Superman wears an “S”. I apologize for saying “idiot” but you’re just flat out wrong when saying Superman stories are about hope. They’re not. It’s a nice buzzword that writers occasionally like to spam but saying the stories are all about hope is just flat out wrong.

Edit: How is “Death of Superman” about hope? Or “Reign of the Supermen”? Or Johns Brainiac arc? Or even Tomasi’s Superman Rebirth run? The Tomasi Superman run is about father-son relationships first and foremost, not “hope”.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Dude the “hope” bit? A modern retcon starting with Mark Waid’s Birthright to explain why Superman wears an “S”. I apologize for saying “idiot” but you’re just flat out wrong when saying Superman stories are about hope. They’re not. It’s a nice buzzword that writers occasionally like to spam but saying the stories are all about hope is just flat out wrong.
    I disagree, Superman as a character has always been about making the world a better place. He is an icon of virtue. He is a shining example of the type of person we should all try to be. He strives to make the world a better place each day by righting wrongs and protecting the innocent from those who would harm them. If he doesn't represent hope I don't know what character does.

I disagree, Superman as a character has always been about making the world a better place. He is an icon of virtue. He is a shining example of the type of person we should all try to be. He strives to make the world a better place each day by righting wrongs and protecting the innocent from those who would harm them. If he doesn't represent hope I don't know what character does.
    And that’s all true but to say that “hope” is the main theme of every one of his stories, or that you can’t tell darker stories with him just doesn’t ring true to me. Take What’s So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way? for example. That is not a story about “hope” it is instead a story about Superman’s no killing rule, and whether the very superhero ideal Superman personifys even has a place in the modern world. Johns Brainiac arc is about loss and how you deal with it. Kara is still suffering from the loss of Krypton. Superman loses Pa Kent. Brainiac is obsessed with retrieving Superman because he can’t stand an incomplete collection. Red Son is about whether Superman is still Superman if you change everything about him, it’s a nature vs nurture story. Superman Reborn is about the Clark/Lois relationship and whether it can survive DC editorial.

The only stories that recently I feel actually deal with “hope” are New Krypton (Superman’s hope that the Kandorians can find a place for themselves) and that ends with them getting genocided and All-Star Superman where it’s Superman’s hope he can leave the world a better place (which he does) and the hope that Lex can become a better person (which may or may not end up happening).

"4.) Lack of an upbeat tone. Superman related fiction has always been about hope, not the dark & gritty."

Let me clarify. A concept like Batman, for example, lends itself far more easily to gritter subject matter because such concepts are embedded in its DNA, unlike that of Superman. Superman is essentially an upbeat concept, not a gloomy one. Hope is indeed fundamental to the character of Superman as is doing the right thing. Sure, individual stories or even storylines can stray from this concept but at the end of the day, hope is the overarching theme.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-18-2019 at 07:13 PM.

I've heard five reasons from my friends -

1.) Lack of any superheroes.

2.) People wanted a historical drama, not a story involving time travel.

3.) Lack of rootable characters. Most people don't like Zeg (sp?) or his buddies.

4.) Lack of an upbeat tone. Superman related fiction has always been about hope, not the dark & gritty.

5.) The nerfing of characters. Zeg & co. always come out on top or narrowly escape from disaster/serious harm due to plot armor as realistically he is no match for characters like Brainiac, Doomsday or Lobo. Make up your mind producers either make this a historical space opera or a superhero hero series it can't be both.

OK. But Krypton is not a Superman story, it's an story about the planet Krypton and about Science Fiction not superheros. It uses elements and characters from the S mythos but it's really about an alien society from far away. Personally, I think the show is very cool and the way they write the characters and their arcs is very consistently well done.

Also, Superman is so much more than just hope. He's also about justice, and I think that's what Seg and Val are fighting for, to free Krypton from dictators. How is that not inspirational?? Val-El is basically like Superman without the powers. I think the Superman lore is so rich and can be more than just the superpowers.

Critics are really liking season 2, btw,

Last edited by stargazer01; 07-19-2019 at 12:30 PM.

OK. But Krypton is not a Superman story, it's an story about the planet Krypton and about Science Fiction not superheros. It uses elements and characters from the S mythos but it's really about an alien society from far away. Personally, I think the show is very cool and the way they write the characters and their arcs is very consistently well done.

Also, Superman is so much more than just hope. He's also about justice, and I think that's what Seg and Val are fighting for, to free Krypton from dictators. How is that not inspirational?? Val-El is basically like Superman without the powers. I think the Superman lore is so rich and can be more than just the superpowers...]
    You asked why the ratings could be so low and I told you what comic book fans I know but who do not watch the show told me. Make of that information what you will.

If Grandpa-El was the focus, a character that actually seems to embody the Hope, more people would probably tune in.

And more Lobo. Always more Lobo.

Holy **** this episode had it all!

spoilers:
    Brainiac has freaking Jor-El now! Zod has a Black Mercy! Oh Rao the timeline is so ******!
    end of spoilers

I don’t know if that Supergirl movie that was supposedly going to have Brainiac as the villain is really going to happen, but I think this show is making me more and more ok with the idea. Yeah I can see how stealing Clark’s villains is bothersome, I get that. But I’m kinda digging the idea of Brainiac being the Dracula to the House of El’s Belmont family than just specifically Superman. It makes sense, Brainiac traditionally seems to have history of tangling with Jor-El and him fighting Seg and Val on Syfy has been surprisingly awesome and fresh. I’m getting an interesting castlevania Belmont vs Dracula vibes with him being thwarted by various different Els generations before Kal was born. So I think I’m down with Kara getting her turn with Brainiac in a potential movie.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 07-25-2019 at 06:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    Is Zod going to revive Lyta?
    end of spoilers