Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Synder is underrated

His baan seems get stomped quite alot, but reading his batman who laughed the grim knight. I realised all the optimism has been sucked out of batman since his run, even in other comocs. Cant inderstand why hes so hated

BANNED

There are also plenty of people who say he's over-rated. It's probably pretty subjective as opinions go.

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    His baan seems get stomped quite alot, but reading his batman who laughed the grim knight. I realised all the optimism has been sucked out of batman since his run, even in other comocs. Cant inderstand why hes so hated
    If it's Scott Snyder you're talking about, he is so hated because he writes so bad his characters and stories. That's it.
    He has iterresting starting points, I agree, but then it goes nowhere and the end of his stories are always predictable or missing.
    He did a few good things, but nothing overwelming.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    I don't see that much hate for him? I think most of the fans I talk to think he's good, but has things about his run that don't work for them.

Except for Black Mirror, though, I think his Batman stuff is really frustrating. I don't hate him at all, but I think his voice for Bruce is completely wrong (which is unsurprising when he says things like "I have to have a voice for Bruce that is completely different than any other Bruce, otherwise I'm writing someone else's character"...but he is writing someone else's character...)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'd say the hate and love are pretty balanced. His Court of Owls and Dark Knights Metal are very appreciated by a lot of people for changing the Batman landscape and bringing back forgotten characters, same with his Justice League, but he's disliked by a lot of people for promising hype but not delivering in his Batman run, and game-changing Gotham too frequent in such a short time for my personal liking, even though it made it feels that all of his stories are important to the lore.

BANNED

Id say incredibly overrated, none of his stories have any substance.

Only place Snyder is hated is here. On other forums his Batman is widely beloved and his sales reflect that.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I think he’s over rated and I’ll never understand why DC is under his chockhold from so many time.
    The only works I liked were Court of owls and Endgame.
    What I dislike more of him are his concepts that often are exactly what I hate in comics.
    I hate the concept of Multiverse and all the premises to his JL were totally crap for me.
    Bullshits like the dark universe and the batman who laughs are exactly what I don’t need to read.
    Anyway he’s a good writer, even though a little bit inconclusive, but not so much to earn the place he has now at DC.
    I decided some time ago to avoid everything written by him and my life is better now... my pull list so empty too.

I think he is rated fine, the market has proven he can sell Batman, DC, and Indie comics and he is a very engaging writer with the fans. His stories are not perfect but Batman’s voice has always changed.

Black Mirror is very good.

I haven't been particularly impressed by anything else he's written.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Only place Snyder is hated is here. On other forums his Batman is widely beloved and his sales reflect that.
    What !? No it's far from the only place Snyder is called overrated.
    The thing with his work is that he always got a interresting starting point that hypes you.
    So you go on reading all the chapters, but end up disapointed with the end and what really happened.
    That's why he sells, and tha's why he's disliked.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Black Mirror is very good.

I haven't been particularly impressed by anything else he's written.
    To me having read many many Batman stories, I was really really disapointed by Black Mirror and even more with all his New52 run.
    I don't see what's impressive in his run ??

I wouldn’t call him underrated. The critics love him, he moves big numbers, writes the major titles, he’s rated high for the most part from what I see.

I like him but don’t love him. Seems like he tries too hard a lot of times. And his endings can miss. I liked his Batman for the most part but don’t think it’s close to one of the top runs, which is what I’ve seen it called a few times. Capullo helps a lot, he was on fire that whole run.

Between the praise and numbers, and the complaints, he’s probably rated about right.

I like him much more than King that's for sure.

He has big ideas, but it seems like he comes up with the conclusions as an after though. So they are never satisfying for the most part. I also think he's too wordy.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    There are also plenty of people who say he's over-rated. It's probably pretty subjective as opinions go.
    Yeah.. I think that we had one topic here about that too.. and now about the opposite.