Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #4 and Story Arc Spoiler Discussion

I didn't see a thread on this, so I thought I'd start one.

This seems to be the end of the "Mother of Exiles" story, Tom Taylor's first go-round with the Web-Slinger!

Some new things:
    • Aunt May has breast cancer (possibly the biggest thing), and will tell Peter in issue #5
    • Peter's identity is known to a new superhero called the Rumor
    • Wilson Fisk has a secret deal with the mayor of Under York
    • There's a secret society of weird Orange Men and women under the city

Whew! That's quite a lot. Overall, I liked this first arc. Nothing that will set the mythos on fire, but entertaining and had some great Peter moments. Taylor shows that he really understands the balance between the humor and the hero, and his eye for Spider-Man's voice make this a good draw for me.

I know this series will inevitably be overshadowed by Spencer's outstanding and amazing run, but Taylor is slowly proving he can hold his own!

So, what did you think?

As for upcoming stories,
    • We have Aunt May and Peter talking
    • The return of FEAST and Hobie Brown, the Prowler!
    • A new mini Spider-Man named Spider-Bite!
    Last edited by WebSlingWonder; 03-20-2019 at 08:05 PM.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Personally, I found the first arc terribly boring, but I'm very intrigued by the developing story regarding Aunt May's diagnosis, so I guess I'll keep reading the book.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Personally, I found the first arc terribly boring, but I'm very intrigued by the developing story regarding Aunt May's diagnosis, so I guess I'll keep reading the book.
    While I agree that the A plot was kind of dragged out, I will say that the C plot with Aunt May is intriguing. But may I ask why you found it boring?

Under York is the kind of thing that should be introduced in like, Fantastic Four.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Under York is the kind of thing that should be introduced in like, Fantastic Four.
    On that, we can agree, which is ironic based on Johnny's presence in this storyline Haha

Thumbs up

I'll never be a fan of fictional characters in a fantasy setting being diagnosed with real-life terminal illnesses, simply because said character will typically obtain a last-minute miracle cure which trivializes the condition. Please be sensitive and come up with a fictional condition instead of an actual one writers. Is sensitivity to those who have suffered or are suffering too much to ask maybe, but this sort of thing still pisses me off.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-20-2019 at 09:47 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    While I agree that the A plot was kind of dragged out, I will say that the C plot with Aunt May is intriguing. But may I ask why you found it boring?
    I find the C plot intriguing as well; it's just the A plot I disliked for many reasons. These include the abrupt and unearned introduction of the old lady character and Under York, two major concepts of this story which I found completely boring. The "citizens help Spider-Man" moment in this issue also felt unnecessary for some random villain I didn't care about. When the story revolves around so many aspects which I didn't care for and/or found boring, it's no wonder I found the entire story boring. It either needed a lot more build-up or to just have focused more on being a fun Spidey/Johnny team-up, rather than trying (and failing, IMO) to introduce all these ambitious new concepts.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

It was enjoyable. But Under York... eh.

But I vehemently dislike Aunt May's storyline. Unless they kill her for real this time, nothing is going to satisfy me.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'll never be a fan of fictional characters in a fantasy setting being diagnosed with real-life terminal illnesses, simply because said character will typically obtain a last-minute miracle cure which trivializes the condition. Please be sensitive and come up with a fictional condition instead of an actual one writers. Is sensitivity to those who have suffered or are suffering too much to ask maybe, but this sort of thing still pisses me off.
    Yikes. I apologize for the writers.
    I've always seen Spider-Man comics as a way to inject real-life issues into the characters' lives and have it make sense, such as Flash with his legs, Betty and Ned with their marital problems, Peter and MJ when they were married...I guess I understand why you feel that way, but I think Spider-Man's stories often handle it with care, as opposed to being forced.
    Last edited by WebSlingWonder; 03-20-2019 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I find the C plot intriguing as well; it's just the A plot I disliked for many reasons. These include the abrupt and unearned introduction of the old lady character and Under York, two major concepts of this story which I found completely boring. The "citizens help Spider-Man" moment in this issue also felt unnecessary for some random villain I didn't care about. When the story revolves around so many aspects which I didn't care for and/or found boring, it's no wonder I found the entire story boring. It either needed a lot more build-up or to just have focused more on being a fun Spidey/Johnny team-up, rather than trying (and failing, IMO) to introduce all these ambitious new concepts.
    Those are fair criticisms!

Astonishing Member

Biggest strength was the voice of Peter Parker, that was good. Didn't like #3 introducing the Rumour/Under York. That element felt unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Biggest strength was the voice of Peter Parker, that was good. Didn't like #3 introducing the Rumour/Under York. That element felt unnecessary.
    Mostly agree! "Under York" may not have been the way to go. I guess the series promised a Return to the basics of a friendly neighborhood, and, barring a couple of shoutouts to Peter's neighbors, that element took a back seat to this Under York thing, which is kind of disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    It was enjoyable. But Under York... eh.

But I vehemently dislike Aunt May's storyline. Unless they kill her for real this time, nothing is going to satisfy me.
    I can't guarantee whether Aunt May survives this or not, but I agree with Celgress: whatever they do, handle with care. Waid's Daredevil run featured a similar story with Foggy and i liked it, but now it's rarely brought up anymore which is unfortunate for being a terminal illness.

Astonishing Member

Eh, after 4 so-so issues all I can say is I miss Chip and Spec. And the breast cancer storyline just seems an easy way to gin up drama. There’s no real stakes since we know May won’t die. And in the unlikely case she does, it’ll be undone faster than you can say “ASM# 400.”

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Yikes. I apologize for the writers.
    I've always seen Spider-Man comics as a way to inject real-life issues into the characters' lives and have it make sense, such as Flash with his legs, Betty and Ned with their marital problems, Peter and MJ when they were married...I guess I understand why you feel that way, but I think Spider-Man's stories often handle it with care, as opposed to being forced.
    No need to apologize. I just don't like the trivialization of real-life conditions in fantasy settings. I hope you're right and this doesn't just become Aunt May fake out death number 1237. No joke, I'll go over the heads of Those in Charge of Marvel and give Disney a piece of my mind if this is treated as a joke or an excuse to instantly resurect Aunt May again.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."