Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm on thru the Spider Bite issue, then I'll decide whether to keep or drop? I thought the last 2 issues of this arc were just ok, the first couple issues were good.

Fantastic Member

For me, it wasn't bad, wasn't great... not sure of the orange mob boss guy, seems a bit like an Orange Mr. Negative, and I prefer Negs by a thousand miles. Was hoping Spidey would whoop his tail and that be it... but I imagine they'll be back, down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    What bad press? That they didn't let Aunt May die of cancer? But really, as others have said, no one at Disney gives the least bit of a fu*k over a B-plot in a Spidey satellite title. They don't know about it, don't care about it, and have no desire to exert any influence over a single thing about it....
    You are missing the whole point of why I objected to this story in the first place. I think fantasy fiction should avoid real-life terminal illnesses because said illnesses tend to be trivialized due to the narrative demands of the setting. I find the practice distasteful. If you think otherwise good for you but at least respect my opinion. As for Disney ignoring my potential feedback because they don't care, so what. Big corporations have been known to change course more than a few times throughout history if they receive enough pushback on a subject. Regardless of Disney's reaction if I feel the illness is treated disrespectfully (we'll see how things play out) I reserve the right to voice my disapproval as a loyal customer. If my stance on this matter bothers you, tough.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-21-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    You are missing the whole point of why I objected to this story in the first place. I think fantasy fiction should avoid real-life terminal illnesses because said illnesses tend to be trivialized due to the narrative demands of the setting. I find the practice distasteful. If you think otherwise good for you but at least respect my opinion. As for Disney ignoring my potential feedback because they don't care, so what. Big corporations have been known to change course more than a few times throughout history if they receive enough pushback on a subject. Regardless of Disney's reaction if I feel the illness is treated disrespectfully (we'll see how things play out) I reserve the right to voice my disapproval as a loyal customer. If my stance on this matter bothers you, tough.
    I get your point and I respect your opinion. I'm merely pointing out that Disney doesn't care.

First, they don't care about controlling or monitoring the content of the comics. It's just not something that concerns them, no matter how much some fans want to believe that they've got their fingers in everything.

Secondly, this isn't something that is going to incur "bad press" in the first place. Aunt May facing death (again) and surviving (again) is not all that interesting to begin with. And if the "controversy" is that she's going to make a miracle recovery, that actually would be less controversial than if they had her suffer a lingering, all-too-real death. The latter might seem to many to be an unnecessarily cruel fate to serve to a beloved character.

As for whether having a fictional character suffer a real-life, often terminal, disease is a bad practice - I think it depends on the situation and how it's handled. I'm sure many real life cancer survivors will tell you that they found the Jane Foster storyline in Thor to be inspirational, for example. But in the case of Aunt May, I'm not for it. As many have said, this a character who's been on death door - and beyond! - too many times for another trip to this rodeo to not feel cheap.

Who knows, though - maybe this will really be it for May. I'd like to think that they wouldn't venture down this road unless the end game was going to be worth it.

Celgress, I don't really know what to tell you man. I mean, FNSM is hardly the first comic to have a real-life illness portrayed. What are you expecting to happen here?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Celgress, I don't really know what to tell you man. I mean, FNSM is hardly the first comic to have a real-life illness portrayed. What are you expecting to happen here?
    Yeah. The original Captain Marvel died of cancer in the early 80s. The Hulk’s friend Jim Wilson died of AIDS. So that complaint is silly if it’s just a case of “this real disease should never happen to anyone in comics.”

My only concern would be “does this actually carry consequences”? Captain Marvel has stayed dead afaik. If this is just something to trivialize and have May get better from in 10 (or less) issues as I suspect, then it’ll just be another plot-device to stir up drama, no different than if she had a made-up disease like the legacy virus. Cancer should carry gravitas, since so many readers have friends or loved ones (or they themselves) who have suffered from this horrific malady. So the writer needs to tread carefully here and make it mean something. After 4 not terribly impressive issues, I’m not sure he’s up to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Yeah. The original Captain Marvel died of cancer in the early 80s. The Hulk’s friend Jim Wilson died of AIDS. So that complaint is silly if it’s just a case of “this real disease should never happen to anyone in comics.”

My only concern would be “does this actually carry consequences”? Captain Marvel has stayed dead afaik. If this is just something to trivialize and have May get better from in 10 (or less) issues as I suspect, then it’ll just be another plot-device to stir up drama, no different than if she had a made-up disease like the legacy virus. Cancer should carry gravitas, since so many readers have friends or loved ones (or they themselves) who have suffered from this horrific malady. So the writer needs to tread carefully here and make it mean something. After 4 not terribly impressive issues, I’m not sure he’s up to the task.
    Now that I can definitely agree with. However, we haven't even followed up with this story. We've gotten the story plot Introduction, a callout in ASM, and a follow-up next issue. That's it. I would say give him time.

I know I was merely stating I don't like this tactic, especially with Aunt May. Another poster, not you (you were very reasonable and measured in your response) took issue with what I said, as a result, I became overly annoyed. That's it in a nutshell. Sorry if you received the impression I was upset with anything you posted.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-21-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    ...My only concern would be “does this actually carry consequences”? Captain Marvel has stayed dead afaik. If this is just something to trivialize and have May get better from in 10 (or less) issues as I suspect, then it’ll just be another plot-device to stir up drama, no different than if she had a made-up disease like the legacy virus. Cancer should carry gravitas, since so many readers have friends or loved ones (or they themselves) who have suffered from this horrific malady. So the writer needs to tread carefully here and make it mean something. After 4 not terribly impressive issues, I’m not sure he’s up to the task.
    This is my main complaint. If Aunt May is going to receive yet another last-minute miracle cure or be resurrected shortly after she succumbs I would prefer a real-life condition was not used in this storyline.

I know I was merely stating I don't like this tactic, especially with Aunt May. Another poster, not you (you were very reasonable and measured in your response) took issue with what I said, as a result, I became overly annoyed. That's it in a nutshell. Sorry if you received the impression I was upset with anything you posted.
    No need to apologize, friend! I definitely understand where you're coming from. I personally think Aunt May should have died in ASM #400, but the Spider-team had other plans. Despite that, I'm intrigued by what Taylor can do with this one. Like someone else said, I pray and hope that he did his research and homework and understands the gravity of what he's writing.

No need to apologize, friend! I definitely understand where you're coming from. I personally think Aunt May should have died in ASM #400, but the Spider-team had other plans. Despite that, I'm intrigued by what Taylor can do with this one. Like someone else said, I pray and hope that he did his research and homework and understands the gravity of what he's writing.
    Who knows perhaps they are building toward something. I can't help but wonder if Aunt May dies what that would do to the infamous Deal (morbid I know). Of course, continuity regarding the Deal is so convoluted now who could tell.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-21-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Who knows perhaps they are building toward something. I can't help but wonder if Aunt May dies what that would do to the infamous Deal (morbid I know). Of course, continuity regarding the Deal is so convoluted now who could tell.
    I want to get this out before someone throws an essay at me lol:
    I personally think that the Spider-Office is building up to some type of resolution to the Deal. Peter and MJ are back together, which automatically complicates the deal, Aunt May is on the mend, and Peter's identity has been exposed to a plethora of heroes. We're starting to get back to that point we were before OMD (even the Black Suit is back in "Hunted"!) If it's just coincidence, that's fine, and I'm cool with that. But I think we're gearing up for something.

But that's not a guarantee on my part, you know?

Astonishing Member

I want to get this out before someone throws an essay at me lol:
    I personally think that the Spider-Office is building up to some type of resolution to the Deal. Peter and MJ are back together, which automatically complicates the deal, Aunt May is on the mend, and Peter's identity has been exposed to a plethora of heroes. We're starting to get back to that point we were before OMD (even the Black Suit is back in "Hunted"!) If it's just coincidence, that's fine, and I'm cool with that. But I think we're gearing up for something.

But that's not a guarantee on my part, you know?
    I would prefer that they didn’t do that.

It would feel too fanfiction-y.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

If I may ask, what would you suggest? I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

You say that like it's a bad thing. I know critics have called Slott a "glorified fanfiction writer" so we're in good company.

J/K, to each their own I always say.