Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Freddy Freeman Appreciation

I decided to make a 2019 thread for Captain Marvel Jr aka World's Mightiest Boy
    tumblr_lrpfxkTYjj1qcb1a4o1_540.jpg
    freddy.jpg
    tumblr_nc2fedRZq31sapphoo1_540.jpg

goldenknight2018

Attachment 77853
    the best captain marvel jr painting by mac raboy

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldenknight2018 View Post
    Attachment 77853
    the best captain marvel jr painting by mac raboy
    I loved the way mac raboy drew freddy

Spectacular Member

One thing i really loved about freddy was the way he flied
    RCO010 (1).jpgRCO063_1474865609 (2).jpgRCO049 (2).jpg

Spectacular Member

Who was your favorite love interest for freddy?

The art is honestly awesome in some of these old Captain Marvel Jr comics.

I also sincerely and absolutely love how much Freddy hates Nazis. I think that's one element of his character ripe for a comeback, since we live in a world with Nazi-aligned rogue individuals shooting up a synagogue or whatever. Freddy's Grandpa was killed by a Nazi, Freddy hates Nazis, I just love the idea of Captain Marvel Jr making Nazis sort of a pet project of his!

26-1.jpg

"You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I never read any of those old stories. The art looks good. How were the stories?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I never read any of those old stories. The art looks good. How were the stories?
    They are great! They focus on Freddy and his daily life, him dealing with his disability, and shows him beating up ALOT of Nazi's.

Quote Originally Posted by SelinaK12 View Post
    They are great! They focus on Freddy and his daily life, him dealing with his disability, and shows him beating up ALOT of Nazi's.
    Thanks! Sounds great. Now I really want to read them!

I don’t know, his batting average has been down a bit. Oh...wait. Wrong Freddie Freeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I also sincerely and absolutely love how much Freddy hates Nazis. I think that's one element of his character ripe for a comeback, since we live in a world with Nazi-aligned rogue individuals shooting up a synagogue or whatever. Freddy's Grandpa was killed by a Nazi, Freddy hates Nazis, I just love the idea of Captain Marvel Jr making Nazis sort of a pet project of his!
    Yep, all heroes hate Nazis, but Freddy has a deep, personal hatred of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    They're mostly solid one-shots where Freddie fights some villain, usually Captain Nazi, but occasionally some homegrown American gangster, who on more than one occasion prey on the disabled, which of course Freddy is also predisposed to getting passionate about. It's good stuff, never comes across as preachy, but occasionally the villains will be Japanese and you'll have to kind of grit your teeth and get ready for racist imagery. Those bits aren't great.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Yep, all heroes hate Nazis, but Freddy has a deep, personal hatred of them.

You know, it's really kind of funny to me that Freddy wants to kill Captain Nazi and Billy won't let him in this issue, because in the '40s, Captain Marvel Jr tries to kill Captain Nazi every single time they meet and Captain Nazi's death, though it never actually happens in more than "we never found the body" terms, is always treated as an unequivocal good to pursue. And frankly, I'm kind of right there with him, haha!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    They're mostly solid one-shots where Freddie fights some villain, usually Captain Nazi, but occasionally some homegrown American gangster, who on more than one occasion prey on the disabled, which of course Freddy is also predisposed to getting passionate about. It's good stuff, never comes across as preachy, but occasionally the villains will be Japanese and you'll have to kind of grit your teeth and get ready for racist imagery. Those bits aren't great.

You know, it's really kind of funny to me that Freddy wants to kill Captain Nazi and Billy won't let him in this issue, because in the '40s, Captain Marvel Jr tries to kill Captain Nazi every single time they meet and Captain Nazi's death, though it never actually happens in more than "we never found the body" terms, is always treated as an unequivocal good to pursue. And frankly, I'm kind of right there with him, haha!
    Lol yea I always found it funny too that whenever one of freddy enemies or whoever he was fighting died Freddy was just like Oh no
    RCO010_1474864318.jpgRCO032.jpgRCO033.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SelinaK12 View Post
    Lol yea I always found it funny too that whenever one of freddy enemies or whoever he was fighting died Freddy was just like Oh no RCO033.jpg
    Yeah, Freddy's always "I really hope he stays dead this time!" It's totally against the later rock-solid No Killing Rules people associate with super-heroes, but I kind it sort of refreshing. I don't have a lot of sympathy for Captain Nazi of all people, haha! I repeatedly find it really cool that Freddy just goes to town on this jerk, haha!

Spectacular Member