Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Swamp Thing.....

Hi all.

I'm a big fan of the old muck mockery of a man but for some reason have only read a few runs.

My favourite, so far, is tied between the original 13 issue run by Wein and Moore’s run.

I have really enjoyed Snyder and Soule’s volume as well as Wein’s return for 6 issues after.

Other than that I have read all between Wein’s and Moore’s run, which I found to be rather boring short of a handful of issues.

I have enjoyed Millar’s run as well.

My question to you is this. What should I read next? Should I just work through everything or select material ?

Also, what are your fav runs ?

Millar’s run gets better as it goes. There’s actually a little, guess you could call it a mini-crossover in there although it’s not marketed as such, with Batman and Killer Croc who is a natural fit in Swamp Thing’s world. I know it’s Batman 521 and 522, can’t remember the issue of Swamp Thing it gets touched on. It’s pretty cool though.

For something current he’s in Justice League Dark. Of course it’s a team book, albeit a small team, so he’s not front and center, but he’s a big important part of it. It’s a solid book too. Recommended.

I was thinking about reading JD. I’ll get on it.

Incredible Member

Rick veitch's run is very good until it falls apart at the end due to editorial

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    Hi all.

I'm a big fan of the old muck mockery of a man but for some reason have only read a few runs.

My favourite, so far, is tied between the original 13 issue run by Wein and Moore’s run.

I have really enjoyed Snyder and Soule’s volume as well as Wein’s return for 6 issues after.

Other than that I have read all between Wein’s and Moore’s run, which I found to be rather boring short of a handful of issues.

My question to you is this. What should I read next? Should I just work through everything or select material ?

Here is what I would suggest:

1. Swamp Thing: The Bronze Age Omnibus vol.1-?? - More to come
    2. Saga of the Swamp Thing Book One-Six - Alan Moores run
    3. Swamp Thing by Brian K. Vaughan vol.1-2
    4. Swamp Thing by Scott Snyder - Swamp Thing New52 part.1
    -- tpb #1 - Raise Them Bones
    -- tpb #2 - Family Tree
    -- tpb #3 - Rotworld: The Green Kingdom
    5. Animal Man by Jeff Lemir - Animal Man New52
    -- tpb #1 - The Hunt
    -- tpb #2 - Animal vs. Man
    -- tpb #3 - Rotworld: The Red Kingdom
    -- tpb #4 - Splinter Species
    -- tpb #5 - Evolve of Die
    6. Justice League Dark by Jeff Lemir - Justice League Dark New52
    -- tpb #2 - The Book of Magic
    -- tpb #3 - The Deak of Magic
    -- tpb #4 - Rebirth of Evil
    7. Swamp Thing by Charles Soule - Swamp Thing New52 part.2
    -- tpb #4 - Seeder
    -- tpb #5 - The Killing Field
    -- tpb #6 - The Sureen
    -- tpb #7 - Season's End
    8. Justice League Dark: The Last Age of Magic - The Rebirth serie - ongoing.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

David Michelinie and Gerry Conway runs on the first Swamp Thing title are quite fun, probably even better than Len Wein's famous take on the character.

As said, I have read everything between Wein and Moore. Not really that fond of it.

Perhaps I should just read on from Moore and straight through.

Incredible Member

Hi all.

Have you watched the 1991 Swamp Thing cartoon series? It's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Have you watched the 1991 Swamp Thing cartoon series? It's awesome!

That was my first exposure to him. In the years since I kind of..... forgot about him. Recently bought Bronze Age Omni and Snyder’ deluxe and read digitally Millar and Moore’s runs.

I just remembered how much I love the cartoon and now he in one of my fav characters. I have read everything from the new 52 run onwards.

Glad we are getting another oversized collection in June in the form of ‘Roots Of Terror’.

Retired

The weird attempt to make Swamp Thing a super-hero at the end of the first run was odd--but probably an effort to save it from cancellation. In between that and the revival, Swampy appeared in CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN 83 - 87--also written by Gerry Conway, with groovy art by the young hot-shot Keith Giffen and the venerable gentleman John Celardo.

Incredible Member

That was my first exposure to him. In the years since I kind of..... forgot about him. Recently bought Bronze Age Omni and Snyder’ deluxe and read digitally Millar and Moore’s runs.

I just remembered how much I love the cartoon and now he in one of my fav characters. I have read everything from the new 52 run onwards.

Glad we are getting another oversized collection in June in the form of ‘Roots Of Terror’.
    That's so cool. I expect you're looking forwards to the upcoming new TV series. Hopefully it'll be available on Netflix or something.

If you'll forgive the plug I've written some fanfiction for the cartoon version. If you're curious they're available on fanfiction.net. My author name there is chilled monkey.

As for comics, I personally enjoyed Swamp Thing's appearance in Convergence: Crisis Book 2

If you've read Wein, Moore and Millar you've read the best stuff that I know of (though I haven't read the New 52 stuff past the first TPB).

If you want more, Rick Veitch did some good stuff for his first storyline (which is in TPB) - though some of the dialogue is really clunky. His second storyline was just tedious for me - and then it got unceremoniously chopped off by DC.

Avoid Doug Wheeler's run like the plague. It is terrible.

Nancy A Collins's run is nothing special, but I enjoyed it well enough. She had some good fill-ins by another writer.

I only read the first five issues of Brian K Vaughan's run, but it didn't grab me at all.

Retired

One man's clunk is another man's pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    That's so cool. I expect you're looking forwards to the upcoming new TV series. Hopefully it'll be available on Netflix or something.

If you'll forgive the plug I've written some fanfiction for the cartoon version. If you're curious they're available on fanfiction.net. My author name there is chilled monkey.

As for comics, I personally enjoyed Swamp Thing's appearance in Convergence: Crisis Book 2

ill be checking that out mate I think I need to give the series a rewatch. yeah man really looking forward to the new series coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    If you've read Wein, Moore and Millar you've read the best stuff that I know of (though I haven't read the New 52 stuff past the first TPB).

If you want more, Rick Veitch did some good stuff for his first storyline (which is in TPB) - though some of the dialogue is really clunky. His second storyline was just tedious for me - and then it got unceremoniously chopped off by DC.

Avoid Doug Wheeler's run like the plague. It is terrible.

Nancy A Collins's run is nothing special, but I enjoyed it well enough. She had some good fill-ins by another writer.

I only read the first five issues of Brian K Vaughan's run, but it didn't grab me at all.
    thanks man. That's all good to know.

I think I am going to just go through everything.