Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    THe thing about gods is that a lot of them aren't actually THAT powerful. Skyfathers and hell lords tend to be pretty uber. But for your typical pantheon god, a high end marvel super hero like a Hulk will usually overpower them (as we saw in No Road Home). Thor is more the exception than the rule.
    I'm not talking about power levels strictly, just generally as a concept. Virtually immortal races of deities with magical powers could be a cool corner of the MU, I just think they all sound the same and don't feel unique. Just my own opinion. Way too humanized with their speech pattern and personalities.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    1. Why do you think other Gods haven't caught on Marvel? Do think Superhero tales themselves are modern version of God Myths and that is big reason why more haven't shown up?
    Marvel never really pushed them. Not to the extent of Thor, which, if we're being totally honest with ourselves, went through some growing pains and popularity strains since he was first introduced. I personally think that Marvel could have pushed any mythology, but I'm glad that they went with the Norse variety to change things up. Most of the other comics companies had already touched on the Greco-Roman and Egyptian lore.

2. If you had pitch to Marvel one Mythological God(s) to have a book at marvel who would be your choice?
    Horus the Elder. Specifically, Redwing as Horus the Elder, stripped of his divine powers by a Cosmic Cube wielding Red Skull and the Elder God, Set. (Not Seth, Set.) I would pitch a limited series where Redwing gradually starts to overcome the effects of the Cube, regaining its powers and ferocity, if not his mortal form. Horus the Elder was basically a skyfather level power, so naturally, Redwing is not someone to be taken lightly. And he is chomping at the bit for some get back. It knows that Set and Red Skull were involved, but suspects that other powers were involved as well. Sure enough, Redwing discovers that Cyttorak had a hand in the power play. Wasting no time, Redwing goes after the Juggernath, basically dragging a disbelieving Sam along with it. It isn't until Sam sees Redwing talon-punch a hole through Juggernaut's chest, removing his heart, that Sam realizes that Redwing is telling the truth. He is Horus the Elder, and through their link, Sam begins to gradually exhibit superhuman abilities as well. Your basic reveal, revenge and revanche tale.

3. What is your favorite use of Gods in Marvel that doesn't include Norse Mythology?
    I like that Marvel has its own mythical gods vis-à-vis the Celestials. I hate that they've been knocked down several pegs to be on par with Earth's gods, for some reason. That should never be the case.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 03-21-2019 at 09:12 AM.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    3. What is your favorite use of Gods in Marvel that doesn't include Norse Mythology?
    Without a doubt it is Hercules and the Olympians. From the Hercules: Prince of Power future trilogy to the Avengers taking on the Olympians to Hercules solo books.

Horus was cool. Especially from the New Warriors Forever Yesterday timeline.

Perun from Winter Guard too.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Horus was cool. Especially from the New Warriors Forever Yesterday timeline.

Perun from Winter Guard too.
    Yeah, Horus from New Warriors was kinda cool. I thought it was especially fun that he and Monica seemed like a thing.

By design he might be a bit too Thor-like though, as he clearly was a Thor analogue in that group. So that would probably need to be toned down a bit before they used him.

I assume because none of them got the dedicated focus and built-in mythos that Thor did.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Because Jack Kirby isn't around anymore.

Anansi should be wayyy more popular. same with that Monkey King guy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    THe thing about gods is that a lot of them aren't actually THAT powerful. Skyfathers and hell lords tend to be pretty uber. But for your typical pantheon god, a high end marvel super hero like a Hulk will usually overpower them (as we saw in No Road Home). Thor is more the exception than the rule.
    And the thing is, this doesn't exactly fly in the face of the myths. Plenty of very strong or smart humans could defeat the gods in the myths.
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    I'm not talking about power levels strictly, just generally as a concept. Virtually immortal races of deities with magical powers could be a cool corner of the MU, I just think they all sound the same and don't feel unique. Just my own opinion. Way too humanized with their speech pattern and personalities.
    But the gods live in a cosmic hierarchy and they're pretty bottom of the barrel. Technically, Apocalypse has more actual clout than Thor normally would because Apocalypse is a tool of the Celestials, who are supposed to be way more powerful than the earth gods. And then you have the various Abstracts and other cosmic entities, etc. Very few gods can really compete or compare to them.

The original Starhawk got his power from a powerful alien Hawk god, but I don't think we ever saw the Hawk god in action.

Likewise, the Shi'ar mention their twin gods but I never saw them in any stories.

Part of being popular is being out there so that the public gets to know the character. If there is little to no stories on a character, the character will not catch on with fans.

There just isn't the demand for that many Mythology based characters. At least not enough to have multiple ongoings.

You'll see a writer pull someone new out of the toy box every once awhile, but generally they get put back in and the next writer pulls out someone else.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

I don't remember where I read this, but I agree: the thing is that Thor in the 60's had a very relatable story- his father, a grizzled war veteran, wanted him to become more serious and join the family business, but all he wanted to do was have more freedom hanging out with those humans that dressed funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    The original Starhawk got his power from a powerful alien Hawk god, but I don't think we ever saw the Hawk god in action.

Likewise, the Shi'ar mention their twin gods but I never saw them in any stories.

Part of being popular is being out there so that the public gets to know the character. If there is little to no stories on a character, the character will not catch on with fans.
    I believe the Hawk God was responsible for slaughtering the Watchers in his future reality, so I think he was closer to a cosmic being than a pantheon god.

But yeah, I the idea of space gods is kinda cool. They handled that pretty well with the Skrull Gods in Secret Invasion.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    I don't remember where I read this, but I agree: the thing is that Thor in the 60's had a very relatable story- his father, a grizzled war veteran, wanted him to become more serious and join the family business, but all he wanted to do was have more freedom hanging out with those humans that dressed funny.
    Thor's family is a part of his appeal. They present a very relatable type of family that is very dysfunctional yet they still try and love each other...most of the time...

Ultimate Member

I really wished that they followed up on Athena from Herc's latest series