Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

spoilers:
    Migrating to the X-Men you mean. She already is in the X office.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    spoilers:
    Migrating to the X-Men you mean. She already is in the X office.
    end of spoilers
    I know Jordan D. White is the editor of her book, but that doesn't mean she is necessarily a part of the X-office, 'cause she's been almost entirely disconnected from the X-Books so far. By ''being a part of the X-Office'', I mean actually tying in to the X-line in the same way the Dawn Of X books do. For example: Deadpool was also edited by Jordan D. White for quite some time, even after he started editing the X-books, but it was still an independent title that never had to tie-in with the X-line each time it relaunched or had events. I'm just saying that I hope Gwenpool is the same, even if spoilers:
    she's been retconned as a mutant now
    end of spoilers.

Here's hoping Gwen's mini solid well enough that we can get another shot at an ongoing for her.

does the character exist to do anything besides "meta" trolling?
    I don't get the appeal for any kind of ongoing series unless they ease back on the fourth-wall-breaking-i'm-so-clever jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    does the character exist to do anything besides "meta" trolling?
    I don't get the appeal for any kind of ongoing series unless they ease back on the fourth-wall-breaking-i'm-so-clever jokes.
    Yes, yes she does. If you haven't read her title, especially the Unbelievable Gwenpool, you can be forgiven for not knowing how much heart is behind it, to say nothing of the underlying currents of existential horror.

spoilers:
    I mean, the entire reason she's so 'wacky' and 'trolly' in her latest mini is because she's scared she'll cease to exist.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Tendrin; 12-23-2019 at 08:49 PM.

spoilers:
    I actually think the 'mutant revelation' in this book largely serves as a way to include Gwenpool in books that aren't necessarily tone-condusive to her meta commentary. A way for 'powers' to make sense in a usable context within a different style books reality, so she doesn't get WCA'd again.
    end of spoilers

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    spoilers:
    I actually think the 'mutant revelation' in this book largely serves as a way to include Gwenpool in books that aren't necessarily tone-condusive to her meta commentary. A way for 'powers' to make sense in a usable context within a different style books reality, so she doesn't get WCA'd again.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Or maybe it's another way to make mutans miserable - by dropping her on them XD.
    end of spoilers

But more honestly, I wonder how much of Hasting's foundation they'll actually keep for her. What annoyed me greatly in WCA is that while they took away her metapowers, Thompson ignored that beside that, Gwen has other skills. Mostly her knowledge and being genere savvy (about 80% of the time. Unless she gets cocky). She is pretty good at tactics and strategy (Her plan to cause havoc and lure aliens in one place to wipe out, was valid based on that comics run on "rule of cool" and asspulls. She was also shown to be good at coordinating battle agains't Deadpool and winning, until she let it slip into popularity contest), but in WCA she doesn't even know how to handle MODOK.

I'm also curious if anyone will mention that she essentaiully has her own, small army, somewhere at bay (The Poole Boys) :P

Also why I love Jeff, what about Gwen-Pig? D:

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Leah is writing an upcoming X-Book, so it's also possible she did it to include Gwen in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Linvega View Post
    spoilers:
    Or maybe it's another way to make mutans miserable - by dropping her on them XD.
    end of spoilers

But more honestly, I wonder how much of Hasting's foundation they'll actually keep for her. What annoyed me greatly in WCA is that while they took away her metapowers, Thompson ignored that beside that, Gwen has other skills. Mostly her knowledge and being genere savvy (about 80% of the time. Unless she gets cocky). She is pretty good at tactics and strategy (Her plan to cause havoc and lure aliens in one place to wipe out, was valid based on that comics run on "rule of cool" and asspulls. She was also shown to be good at coordinating battle agains't Deadpool and winning, until she let it slip into popularity contest), but in WCA she doesn't even know how to handle MODOK.

I'm also curious if anyone will mention that she essentaiully has her own, small army, somewhere at bay (The Poole Boys) :P

Also why I love Jeff, what about Gwen-Pig? D:
    I mean, you can see the through line from UGP to GSB, but I do wonder and hope we'll see some of that cast again or see more references to it.

All-New Member

I mean, you can see the through line from UGP to GSB, but I do wonder and hope we'll see some of that cast again or see more references to it.
    Technically, Howard the duck has been ommited from her friends. And before she even joined MODOK and gained her current supporting cast, he cared enough for her to call her about Christmas party and at the end of her original run, they see each other again on good terms. I'm also curious if the Black Gwen will be brough again at some point. Hastings revealed that he was forced to cut the story short because he already knew about cancellation at that point. But if he had time, Black Gwen was supposed to becomre Gwen's recurring nemesis, trying to corrupt her into becoming her.

Or the whole exploration of different and contradicting afterlives in Marvel universe.

I miss officer Grey. The "One Sane Woman" on the force, that has to deal with Gwen not respecting the laws of reality :P

Or the 616 version of her parents that she was supposed to get to know better, once she finds her brother ("I won't call you Mom and Dad until you say I can"), which was pretty sweet.

Well, basically it itches me how much of a fine plot had to be dropped because of cancelation, since Hastings clearly knew where he wanted to take the story for quite awhile. And I really would like to see those concepts explored from the perspective of a "fan" and "reader".
    Last edited by Linvega; 12-26-2019 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linvega View Post
    Technically, Howard the duck has been ommited from her friends. And before she even joined MODOK and gained her current supporting cast, he cared enough for her to call her about Christmas party and at the end of her original run, they see each other again on good terms. I'm also curious if the Black Gwen will be brough again at some point. Hastings revealed that he was forced to cut the story short because he already knew about cancellation at that point. But if he had time, Black Gwen was supposed to becomre Gwen's recurring nemesis, trying to corrupt her into becoming her.

Or the whole exploration of different and contradicting afterlives in Marvel universe.

I miss officer Grey. The "One Sane Woman" on the force, that has to deal with Gwen not respecting the laws of reality :P

Or the 616 version of her parents that she was supposed to get to know better, once she finds her brother ("I won't call you Mom and Dad until you say I can"), which was pretty sweet.

Well, basically it itches me how much of a fine plot had to be dropped because of cancelation, since Hastings clearly knew where he wanted to take the story for quite awhile. And I really would like to see those concepts explored from the perspective of a "fan" and "reader".

Yeah, that's all completely fair. Hopefully, given enough time, we'll get Hastings to have another go at writing her.