Astonishing Member

Default I don’t understand the appeal of a Gaming Universe

Ever since the success of Spider-Man for the PS4, people have been clamoring for a gaming universe. I just don’t feel that it should do that.

Marvel media is second only to DC comics when it comes to poor continuity. If they’re not going to do it well then the games might as well be standalone.

Just like when an event is too big it risks being bloated and pointless, trying to make a gaming universe might achieve the same result. Forcing developers to churn out subpar games just to have a game rather than focus on the quality of the game.

I just don’t want to risk turning a great thing into a shallow cash grab.

I like DCUO. I would like a Marvel version.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Ever since the success of Spider-Man for the PS4, people have been clamoring for a gaming universe. I just don’t feel that it should do that.

Marvel media is second only to DC comics when it comes to poor continuity. If they’re not going to do it well then the games might as well be standalone.

Just like when an event is too big it risks being bloated and pointless, trying to make a gaming universe might achieve the same result. Forcing developers to churn out subpar games just to have a game rather than focus on the quality of the game.

I'm not sure what you're talking about by a 'gaming universe'.... Are you talking about something like DCUO... are you talking about a bunch of sequels to a game like the Arkham series for Batman... or are you talking about a whole bunch of different games all tied together like a video game version of MCU?

Because that last one would SUCK. I'm fine with Spider-man getting a sequel... I would absolutely LOOOOVE more games using the same engine to start showing up... (hint.... DAREDEVIL!!!!! DAREDEVIL!!!!) They can even use the same Manhatten map, that's fine... but for $60+ an instalment and requiring skill to actually complete... I have zero interest whatsoever in having to buy a bunch of different games to follow a connected story. i'd buy SPider-man and DAREDEVIL... maybe a Captain America or Thor... but you just know there would be something like Jessica Jones or Deadpool game that I have ZERO interest in.

They KIND of tried that with Ultimate Spider-man… the released that game on a system I didnt' have and told us that it was part of the comic continuity for Venom's return.. and I lost a lot of interest. 2-3 years later, they retold it in flashbacks in the comic... but by then I DID play it and then the comics were just rehashes... so yeah, the multi-media connections were just a bad idea from both directions.

Honestly I just want more good marvel games. It’s such a long time in between them and there’s still so many cool things you can see and do in a video game

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I like DCUO. I would like a Marvel version.
    You say that but I still miss City of Heroes/City of Villains, it's level of character customisation in a mmorpg is unsurpassed to this day.

As for more Marvel games? Sure why not. If they're as good as Spider-Man PS4 then I'm all for it.

Astonishing Member

People on Reddit talk constantly about how Spider-Man PS4 could be the Iron Man for video games. I’m surprised that they don’t talk about it here.

The Spider-Man: City at War #1 comic which is retelling of the game talks about this.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

Game development takes as long if not more time than a movie these days. Disney basically has the philosophy of finding the talent, and then letting the talent do its job. Disney is long past having things done in-house because they had been really bad at it. What that means for Marvel (since they don't do anything in-house either) is that Disney is more than willing to let Marvel find developers to get it right.

However seeing as we are expecting a new generation of consoles very soon it not only wouldn't be done in time for the release, but if it is it may be expected to launch on two different generations which can be a technical hurdle. Disney and Marvel if they don't contact you are also willing to take pitches. You can go to them at any point and so long as they'd feel up for it you've got yourself a game. Problem is that outside of Spider-man 2 (which we know is in development) there is nothing it seems they are focusing on right now and Spider-man is now an established property which might do alright once the new generation ships.

If your expecting this whole thing to turn out like the mobile market, triple A games cannot be built and churned out that quickly that is not how that works.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

A Marvel gaming universe would not work the same way the MCU did (solo games leading up to a team game), but you could still have game franchises that reference each other with Easter eggs and stuff.

The Spider-Man game already had a Wakandan Embassy and the Sanctum Sanctorum anyway. You can have little connections like that which establish one universe, but they don't have to rely on events matching up to each other.

Me personally, I know I would love and play the hell out of Black Panther, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Thor, Iron Man and Doctor Strange games on the level of that Spider-Man one.