Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default The WORST transition on a title was...?

"Let's completely change these Avengers!"
    "Thor doesn't needs a secret identity!"
    "Angel, Beast, and Iceman are better Defenders!"

There have been a lot of harsh transitions in Marvel comics. Editors and writers change, and bring chaos in their wake. What have been the most disruptive changes to a title inflicted by a new creative team?

The Counter X relaunches.

For X-man, they changed pretty much everything about the character.

For Generation X they gave the team new horrible costumes and sucked out all the joy and fun the series had and killed one of the most interesting characters in it.

For X-force, The gave the team horrible new outfits, complete underminded the characters pasts, and basically had them all stand around talking about how great the writers pet character was, on top of that, they found an artists that makes Liefeld look like a master of perspective and anatomy.

Hate to beat a dead horse... but I would say One more Day going into Brand New Day. The rewritten continuity where nobody knew what still counted and what didn't happen anymore.. and suddenly Harry is back alive.... it was a confusing mess.

Sadly that pretty much applies to most of DC's new 52 too. Any time they try to reset a clock with everything still canon except for the parts that might not be and we'll figure it out as it goes.... They're pretty terrible transitions.

Mighty Member

The moment M-Day happened was the moment I saw a sudden devolution in X-Books. In the Morrison run, we got to see the evolution of the mutant allegory and a generation gap within both the humans and the mutants. It was the right track to be on for a book meant to be an allegory for discrimination (quality of the allegory is subject to debate).

Then M-Day happens. Ever since M-Day, mutants are less of a people and more like a legion of robots sitting in the corner, rocking back and forth at the prospect of genocide and extinction. No one wants to move past House of M and mutant genocide.

Astonishing Member

To me was the different art style of Jerry Ordway following the illustrations of John Byrne in Fantastic Four in the 80s.
    Jerry Ordway is curently a great artist,but dunno if it was just because John Byrne art was so good or Ordway´s art style was very different, the stories art wise changed in one of the worst transitions i can remember now.

Englehart Fantastic Four wins forever.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Thunderbolts to that fight club thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bomaya View Post
    I completely forgot about that... What was up with that anyway? Who thought that was a good idea?

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

M-Day and Brand New Day. Both cases in which Quesada strong-armed the MU to go to absolutely unnatural moves because he was at Grant Morrison and because he wanted Spider-Man to be single because he was like that when Quesada was growing up.

Black Panther under Coates

BANNED

Chuck Austen taking over X-Men is a big one. He somehow ruined the mythos and dragged She Hulk down with him creating problems for a bunch of characters.

Yeah, I'm not sure anything can top that one. Its a completely different book with a completely different cast and concept. How it justifies continuing the numbering of an existing title, I'll never know.

Way's Thunderbolts was much more damaging to the brand and off-concept than Fight CluBolts. I mean, it's existence is literally based off a pun.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Englehart Fantastic Four wins forever.
    I actually liked when he started to change the team, having Ben lead Johnny, Crystal and Ms Marvel. Though I've never been much of a fan of Englehart's over the top idea of drama, there was potential for a lot of intresting character conflicts there. However, when he shortly after decided to make the FF into The Monster Squad, with Pinaple Thing, Supernova Torch and She-Thing, having Crystal, the only one relatively normal, leave, it really killed the title for me. It only got good again with Simonson.

That was really bad.

Though many will disagree with me, I'm gonna go with "It was the worst day in Avengers history..." Only it wasn't. It was basically a Tuesday for that bunch, and an excuse for Bendis to crap all over Avengers history.

Peace

I like Crystal and Sharon was cute before he ruined her, so for that one Diablo story, the new team was pretty good.