Super Moderator

Default SDCC: O'Neil, Dixon & Jones Celebrate Batman in the '80s and '90s

Denny O'Neil, Chuck Dixon and Kelley Jones revisited the '80s and '90s, sharing insight into and stories from their time with the Dark Knight.

Full article here.

I like this panel. This is another good one.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

I loved Kelley Jone's Batman as a kid, it was awesome.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Astonishing Member

They might be a few people short, but this panel really gets the point across.

And nobody will ever tell me that Jim Aparo isn't the greatest Batman artist of all time. He took the ball from Adams and ran with it 75 yards to the finish line.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Fantastic Member

The 80s and 90s for Batman, story wise were okay to great. Art wise, given the restrictions of the printing process, was awesome. Jim Aparo was a great. I think he was one of the most consistent artists on Batman. I came to under appreciate him at the time being a stupid teen and buying into comic art must be akin to the Image founders and, whoever was inking him towards the end of his run should have stopped. Aparo was one of the greats.

My favorites, however, are Kelley Jones, who I like to see more non-Batman work, and Nor Breyfogle, the artist on Detective when I first picked it up. Wonder how much Gene Colan's run would have shaped my opinion if I was old enough to pick it up when those issues were published?

All-New Member

Aparo is one of the best comics artists ever, and certainly one of the best Batman artists.

I also would love to have seen Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle on this panel. Grant should be included in any list of definitive Batman writers, and Breyfogle really knew how to sweep you along in those stories. I think they were the Englehart/Rogers of the 90s.

Good article. Chuck Dixon wrote some awesome stuff in the 90's.

I remember really liking the Batman story content from the 80s to the mid-90s (when I read comic books regularly) so this panel did some of my favorite work. It was a very special time for me. Thanks for sharing!