Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I hated how Marvel put Rider in the gutter in favor of Loeb's pet character. Why can't we have both?
    Because both wouldn't sell at the same time (pretty much proven by the short run) and Rich probably wouldn't have sold either.

I hated how Marvel put Rider in the gutter in favor of Loeb's pet character. Why can't we have both?
    Ultimately we did get both.

But sometimes you put the primary character on the shelf in order to give a legacy character a bit of room to grow. We've seen that a lot with Tony/Rhodney, T'CHalla/Shuri, Steve/Bucky and Sam, etc.

THe originals almost always return, with the end result being we get both.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Earth heroes frankly save the freaking universe every 3-6 months. You'd think aliens would start noticing that eventually.
    They did in Hickman's Infinity. Every race in the galaxy was praising the Avengers when they defeat the Builders.

BANNED

I mean back in avengers forever it was basically a plot point of how notorious the earth heroes really get.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Because both wouldn't sell at the same time (pretty much proven by the short run) and Rich probably wouldn't have sold either.
    Yeah, much as I love both Nova's, neither is really likely to be a sales success at this point.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I was more invested in Sam, and bringing Rich back at that juncture felt like pandering to moaning fans. That drove me away. It was never true that fans didn’t like the new characters. It was an anomaly of falling sales in the industry and DCs Rebirth push that caused sales to drop for two to three months only. Marvel overreacted and disenfranchised newer fans and fans of what they were doing generally.
    It was true though. I hated Sam. To me he was the pet character of high up in Marvel and that is why he got the hard push. Just as them bringing Rich back drove you away them getting rid of Rich to put the spotlight on Sam drove me away. The thing is though after the bad taste the whole thing left in my mouth I never bothered to come back when they did finally bring Rich back, because by that point I had stopped caring.

To say that a lot of fans were not turned off by Rich getting killed off to make room for Sam is just flat out not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

To say that a lot of fans were not turned off by Rich getting killed off to make room for Sam is just flat out not true.
    Cosmicbooknews spent years complaining about Rich and Sam.

Not helped by the fact that Marvel's cosmic landscape was dumbed down acter 2011.

Cosmicbooknews spent years complaining about Rich and Sam.
    Cosmicbooknews is run by a lunatic. I don't doubt there were a lot of fans who didn't like Sam, but there's gotta be a better example than that conspiracy theory peddling douchebag.

The thing that gets me is that Rich was actually gaining in public profile. He had, relatively speaking, only recently come into his own (the DnA stuff), had just recently joined an Avengers squad....the dude's star was on the rise. And yeah his solo had seen a drop in sales but that's how this industry works; you throw a new creative team on the book not kill the character!

I gave Sam a fair shot, and found him to be okay but he never grabbed me the way Rich did as Nova Prime. I have nothing against Sam though. But the Nova mythos is far better off with Richard in it than with him gone.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

It was true though. I hated Sam. To me he was the pet character of high up in Marvel and that is why he got the hard push. Just as them bringing Rich back drove you away them getting rid of Rich to put the spotlight on Sam drove me away. The thing is though after the bad taste the whole thing left in my mouth I never bothered to come back when they did finally bring Rich back, because by that point I had stopped caring.

I didn't even know Rich as gone and Sam was here, because none of the stores around my city sold Sam's book until the 2016 run.

We don't know that. There is no evidence to support that.

Marvel can't force a store to sell either book or even order it. Or OVER Order it like certain books (Green Lantern).

Marvel can hear those cries but who is it that does the greatest gymnastic routine to NOT support it?

Or those who buy it to DESTROY it or post pics of unsold books for Marvel, POC, LGBT & women bashing for youtube hits.

Not to mention the noncomic book store market like Ebay & Half Price books.

So unless Marvel is going to do a kickstarter for a 12 issue Nova series that fans invest in-no one can ever figure it out.

And folks have to remember comic book sales don't define success alone.

Blade say hi. Marvel is not going to wish away those 3 movies and 2 shows for a long running solo. Not with him, Jessica Jones, Cage, Shuri or whoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The thing that gets me is that Rich was actually gaining in public profile. He had, relatively speaking, only recently come into his own (the DnA stuff), had just recently joined an Avengers squad....the dude's star was on the rise. And yeah his solo had seen a drop in sales but that's how this industry works; you throw a new creative team on the book not kill the character!

I gave Sam a fair shot, and found him to be okay but he never grabbed me the way Rich did as Nova Prime. I have nothing against Sam though. But the Nova mythos is far better off with Richard in it than with him gone.
    That's one of the reasons why Rich being put in comic book limbo was infuriating. The other Is Marvel Cosmic getting dumbed down.

Astonishing Member

Attachment 80160

This is why Nova is one of the most underrated comic characters. Very heartwarming moment. Rich is considered a joke by Earth's heroes but the aliens remember his heroic deeds in Annihilation and Thanos Imperative.
    What in hell have Earth heroes accomplished lately that they can justify looking down on Rich Rider?

Well they got sucked into another civil war! And they failed to stop the multiverse from collapsing. And they screwed with Galactus' cosmic role and then failed to keep him in that new role. Oh, and they let the world be taken over by Hydra for a little bit. And apparently Wakanda conquered a whole space empire when no one was looking, enslaving a number of races.

I think a couple of them made deals with the devil recently too?

Yeah, no one really has much right to say a damn thing to Rider at all.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    What in hell have Earth heroes accomplished lately that they can justify looking down on Rich Rider?
    I don't think they necessarily look down on Rich (aside from maybe the ones who used to date him). He's not in the upper tier of heroes, but I don't think they consider him a joke either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well they got sucked into another civil war! And they failed to stop the multiverse from collapsing. And they screwed with Galactus' cosmic role and then failed to keep him in that new role. Oh, and they let the world be taken over by Hydra for a little bit. And apparently Wakanda conquered a whole space empire when no one was looking, enslaving a number of races.

I think a couple of them made deals with the devil recently too?

Yeah, no one really has much right to say a damn thing to Rider at all.
    Nova vs ironman.jpgNova vs ironman.jpg