Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Slott announcing a return to Spider-Man?

Bleeding Cool seems to think Slott may be writing a new spider-man story based on his Twitter avatar changing back to Spidey and Comixology having a slott spider-man sale. Would you guys be excited? He did say he was inspired again after into the spider verse came out

BANNED

I'll be excited for FF and IM to get back to shipping on time before he takes on any additional work.

But I'd certainly welcome a Spidey one-shot or mini from Slott.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I'll be excited for FF and IM to get back to shipping on time before he takes on any additional work.

But I'd certainly welcome a Spidey one-shot or mini from Slott.
    I wouldn't. To each their own, but I'm so done with Slott's interpretation of Peter and Spidey.

As long as it’s not on Amazing.

I can see it being Spider-Verse III (Spider-Geddon was SV2).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

His schedule's kinda full and I want him to do other things but I'd happily buy more, sure.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Nope, never really liked his stuff that much.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Anything's possible in comics. So why not?

As a rule when a writer finishes on ASM, that's it. You don't get call backs and do-overs. At best one or two fill-in issues here and there. Maybe a miniseries. But in general no writer who has had an extended run on Spider-Man has gotten a second run. Nearest is Tom Defalco when he was part of the team of writers working during the Clone Saga. But Gerry Conway for instance always chose to write for Spectacular and work there and in other side series and specials and avoided returning on the main title. That set the precedent after that. Even when Roger Stern finished his run and was offered (and declined) a return to Spider-Man in the '80s, it was for Spectacular Spider-Man and not the main series. So that's the precedent.

In the case of Slott, for a guy who has written Spider-Man for ten years I think you can say people got all the stories out of him that he ever had or ever will have. And that he should step aside and let other writers continue especially since this isn't Stan Lee or Steve Ditko. Nor is Slott like Claremont who took X-Men from fairly forgotten mid-tier comics title to center of the marvel universe. Spider-Man was always a banner title with several strong runs before and after Slott and Slott didn't define or redefine Spider-Man in any real distinct long-lasting way. Mostly just spinning the wheels. The sales on his run were good and strong but nothing in the all-time ballpark.

If Slott were to return on a second series title or a small miniseries here and there. That might be worth something. My feeling is that Slott works best when working in pre-established status-quos then creating one on his own. His best Spider-Man story is Spider-Man/Human Torch where he effortlessly situated his series in different status-quos across publication history, and of course his comics for Justice League Adventures and Batman Adventures where he worked on what was built for the DCAU cartoons (and where he collaborated with Ty Templeton for the first time).

No, I would not want that. He was on the title a LONG time and I hope he focuses on his current work. I very much enjoyed his last arc on Spidey, and hopes he lets it be.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I wouldn't. To each their own, but I'm so done with Slott's interpretation of Peter and Spidey.
    I'd only welcome it on a strictly limited basis. Slott had his run and I'm very happy in the Nick Spencer era of ASM.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=HypnoHustler;4266009]I wouldn't. To each their own, but I'm so done with Slott's interpretation of Peter and Spidey.[/QUOTE
    I hated Slott's interpretation of Spidy..I actually despised his Peter, MJ and Felicia even more ( he preferred Doc Ock to those characters).. It is almost like he wanted Spider-Man to be Tony Stark instead of the "Everyman" Peter Parker. Well he now has Tony Stark he needs to stay with him and away from Spider-Man.

I wouldn't mind seeing him come back, especially if its the third Spider-Verse story, but I feel coming back after only a year (less so if you count his involvement in the PS4 game and Spider-Geddon) and being so insistent he was "finished", might take away alot more of the impact it may have had.

Also I agree, I think he should make sure he's able to get Iron Man and Fantastic Four finished on time first before adding more to his plate.

Astonishing Member

If it's Dan Slott from Big Time to Superior Spider-Man, yes. I liked most of that.

If it's Dan Slott post SSM, no.

Astonishing Member

I would buy it for sure.
    Dan Slott is one of the writers that wrote the most Spider-Man stories so reading a story by him is always cool story wise.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    As long as it’s not on Amazing.
    This, my only reservation is that Slott's "return" might hamstring Spencer's creative plans. I would be dead set against such a development.

Edit (as others have said) Slott had his chance to shine let Spencer have his.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-22-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."