Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It's gonna be so weird to see them put so much emphasis on Gwen's backside.
    Either way, keep her paired with Peter and make her an AU version (eventually) of Ghost Spider Marvel can take all my spare money. I'll buy every book she's in and every piece of merch featuring her
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-22-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bleeding Cool seems to think Slott may be writing a new spider-man story based on his Twitter avatar changing back to Spidey and Comixology having a slott spider-man sale. Would you guys be excited? He did say he was inspired again after into the spider verse came out
    It was just mindless speculation.

Spectacular Member

Well, next year is 2020, Slott is writing Iron Man, Iron Man 2020 once had a fight with Spider-Man in a annual, I know it's not the same guy but if Slott decides to write a big story with arno I would like to see another fight between those two even if it's a different versión, we also never saw how did MJ lost her job or why did her relationship with Tony turned bad, so it could be either of those things.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathangoop1811 View Post
    Well, next year is 2020, Slott is writing Iron Man, Iron Man 2020 once had a fight with Spider-Man in a annual, I know it's not the same guy but if Slott decides to write a big story with arno I would like to see another fight between those two even if it's a different versión, we also never saw how did MJ lost her job or why did her relationship with Tony turned bad, so it could be either of those things.
    I think Spencer plans on doing how MJ lost her job since her and Peter both being unemployed and at loose ends is a running thread. Both of them are kind of in the same place professionally and personally, being overachieving young hot losers without much to show for it. Of course Slott is free to address it from his side in Iron Man but I don't think he has which makes sense since near Bendis' final issues MJ and Tony hardly had much or any interaction, and over time, Mary Jane was just an employee among others.

As a writer, Dan Slott has not had the gift of turning an underselling low-prestige title into something big. He has worked most of his life on licensed properties and rarely on creator owned titles. So he has no chops creating a character and story on his own and trying to see how that lasts in the marketplace of ideas whereas Bendis, Ellis, Hickman, Fraction, Zdarsky, Deconnick have all had that and proven that before they did licensed characters. Slott's work with She-Hulk and The Thing were at best cult successes, as is that Silver Surfer thing he did later. Spider-Man is the only time he's ever had success whether it's the Human Torch team-up series or Post-BND and again Spider-Man is Marvel's banner title, so it's not exactly proof that Slott by himself can sell and succeed. So it wouldn't surprise me if Slott would want to return to Spider-Man sometime soon or down the line. His issues at Fantastic Four and Iron Man haven't set the world figuratively on fire.

Assuming he even has the time to do it (I just assumed he changed his Twitter handle to reflect the success of Into the Spider-Verse), but I assume if he were to ever come back he would probably do another Spider-Verse story with high-concept elements and probably some kind of Doc Ock involvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    A weak supporting cast is generally the Iron Man book's biggest problem, which is why every good run tries to fix it. Layton and Michelinie created Rhodey and Bethany for this purpose, in the 70's there was Sitwell and Denny O'Neil had the twins, Busiek brought Pepper and Happy back along with Rumiko, and Fraction had the tech team, Pepper, Bethany, Maria, and Rhodey. Even Ellis tried to fix it with Maya and what's-his-face-who-was-the-worst-part-of-the-book-along-with-the-villain. Slott is a perfect fit for Iron Man because he's an idea guy who can establish and juggle a supporting cast, retool villains, and actually knows continuity.

Also, while Extremis sprinkles in some stuff about various technology applications and concepts into the first two issues, the story is about black goo that gives you a galaxy brain and what weapons should be used for.
    Don't forget about Mrs. Arbogast .

I don't know about juggling, but Slott definitely emphasizes how important the supporting casts of his books are...sometimes more important then the hero .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know about juggling, but Slott definitely emphasizes how important the supporting casts of his books are...sometimes more important then the hero .
    That was a huge problem with his Spider-Man run in particular.

Iron Man's a big problem because that guy is fundamentally boring. It's kind of astonishing that a playboy capitalist industrialist could be boring but Iron Man managed it. For most of his early issues and first years this guy was dull. So you had to find some way to make him work. Michelinie focused on alcoholism and self-destruction. Ellis did the frustrated scientist who never really fulfilled his potential and ambition for greatness. Then you had the movies and RDJ infected and overrode the character for all time. And you can't do in comics what RDJ did with that character...

I am told Fraction in his run did good work with supporting players when he did Invincible Iron Man. But I haven't read that.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I think Spencer plans on doing how MJ lost her job since her and Peter both being unemployed and at loose ends is a running thread. Both of them are kind of in the same place professionally and personally, being overachieving young hot losers without much to show for it. Of course Slott is free to address it from his side in Iron Man but I don't think he has which makes sense since near Bendis' final issues MJ and Tony hardly had much or any interaction, and over time, Mary Jane was just an employee among others.
    I honestly don't think we'll find out exactly why she was fired in either Spider-Man or Iron Man, outside of maybe a throwaway line if they run into each other. Just because it seems clear Slott just wrote her out off panel cause he didn't want to use her, so it would be odd for him to suddenly bring her in again later, and Spencer took that to have it work into his narrative, to have her connect to Peter, I just don't think the reason why she was fired will be that big a deal that he will try to explain it later.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I honestly don't think we'll find out exactly why she was fired in either Spider-Man or Iron Man, outside of maybe a throwaway line if they run into each other. Just because it seems clear Slott just wrote her out off panel cause he didn't want to use her, so it would be odd for him to suddenly bring her in again later, and Spencer took that to have it work into his narrative, to have her connect to Peter, I just don't think the reason why she was fired will be that big a deal that he will try to explain it later.
    Pretty sure it was Spencer's call to bring her back into Spider-Man and not Slott's call to remove her from Iron Man. Mary Jane Watson is first and foremost a Spider-Man character and the Spider-Man supporting character. The only reason she appeared in Iron Man was that Slott had no plans for her and she was going to fall into comic book limbo and Bendis still wanted her to have a big role in the MU so he moved her to Iron Man's corner and kind of deleted all the stuff Slott put on her, like the whole club owner thing...and then had her once again working and involving herself in superhero stuff in a way that kind of countered Slott's characterization, evident when you read stuff like Power Play and GDS where Slott has to come up with flimsy reasons to make "MJ can't handle Spider-man but is okay with working for Tony" work and it doesn't quite land.

I agree that the reason why she wasn't fired might not be more than a throwaway line (Felicia's behavior in Slott's run, it was OMD and OMIT that did it). But I do think that line needs to be put on page. I do think it's important that you fill enough blanks between the old and the new.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    That and it really isn't that hard to come up with a plausible reason why MJ wouldn't be working for Tony anymore.

It's probably related to the restructuring that created Stark Unlimited. And we don't actually know she was fired, we just know she got a severance payment. She could've quit because Tony abandoned Riri or because she didn't get along with Jocasta or some other new hire.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's probably related to the restructuring that created Stark Unlimited. And we don't actually know she was fired, we just know she got a severance payment. She could've quit because Tony abandoned Riri or because she didn't get along with Jocasta or some other new hire.
    Or, y'know...Tony .

I am currently behind on Slott's Iron Man (I read on unlimited) and I am shocked by how bad it is. It reads like wacky 90s comics. Hope high hopes.

i’m indifferent. i don’t have the same hate for his stuff as some, but i’m not overly excited by it either. it’s a real case by case, story by story thing with my enjoyment of his work
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    As long as it’s not on Amazing.
    Ditto! Spencer is doing a great job and they shouldn't let Slott anywhere near Amazing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Ditto! Spencer is doing a great job and they shouldn't let Slott anywhere near Amazing.
    Agreed. It's Nick Spencer's time now.