Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I always thought Dana Dearden/Obsession/Superwoman had good potential to be a long lasting foe, though some of her themes might be too similar to Maxima, and those aspects could be considered problematic in today's culture without some major revisions. Still, I had some sympathies for the character, and I thought ending up in Hell in the Harley Quinn 1st solo series was a little harsh considering her self-sacrifice.
    200756-48906-obsession.jpg

King Kosmos, I loved this short fight between him and Supes

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    It's the story with several of them where it gets interesting. and the dc.fandom articles on Blackrock don't have that part readily accessible.
    It was eventually shown that the Blackrock had been kept by Superman, who eventually locked it away in his Fortress of Solitude.
    I am more interested in there only being one Blackrock, being the one from his Fortress of Solitude. Like when he defeated them the first time, the one he kept had the only grudge left to bear against him. Giving him a reason to return again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I am more interested in there only being one Blackrock, being the one from his Fortress of Solitude. Like when he defeated them the first time, the one he kept had the only grudge left to bear against him. Giving him a reason to return again and again.
    The Blackrock that bonded to Lucia was said to utterly hate Superman, but it's not entirely explained. It was shown that the others were mostly apathetic.

I really like the idea of it as an analog of Venom. Marvel has DOZENS of Symbiotes now. It's kinda neat actually since they're all slightly different.

Conduit was a misssed oportunity for a more recurrent foe, one who hates Clark Kent instead of Superman for once.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Conduit was a misssed oportunity for a more recurrent foe, one who hates Clark Kent instead of Superman for once.
    Well, Conduit had quite a lot of story when he was active. He was kind alike Imperiex in that he was a bit too big to be recurring.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I pick The Archer. With a name like that you'd think he'd be in Green Arrow's rogues gallery, but seeing him face off with Superman is much more interesting.
    It wouldn't even be too hard to revamp, just give him Arrow heads made of or lined with Kryptonite. It's a pretty easy fix and, if Superman got too close, the Kryptonite on the remaining arrows would begin to weaken Superman and The Archer could use them as knives in close quarters.

I can't understand that lack of Prankster! His revamp in the early 00s, furthered by Busiek's tweaking him to be the man to DISTRACT the Man of Steel, had real legs. Also, he got to be an actual threat once in while there, too.

I'd also give love to the Toyman. We should probably not go back to the child-murdering version, but he does need something of an edge.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I can't understand that lack of Prankster! His revamp in the early 00s, furthered by Busiek's tweaking him to be the man to DISTRACT the Man of Steel, had real legs. Also, he got to be an actual threat once in while there, too.
    My take on the Prankster will be back in the NEW YEAR'S EVIL special this December!

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    My take on the Prankster will be back in the NEW YEAR'S EVIL special this December!

kdb
    Hell yeah! I finished Up, Up, and Away recently and really loved your rework of him. Hey Mr. Busiek did you ever have any plans for Metallo or Parasite? Those two are probably the best know Super-Rogues outside the Big 3 of Lex, Zod, and Brainiac but they rarely get any focus in the actual Superman books. Working my way through your run right now and honestly it’s fantastic. Really wish some of the stuff you and Johns created like the Avenue of Tomorrow stuck around. Read your entire Astro City run and it’s some of the best comic storytelling I’ve ever read. Astro City’s detailed layout and worldbuilding with regards to a fictional city is something I wish writers would bring to Metropolis. Love how you’ve got actual fleshed out different city districts.
    Last edited by Vordan; 09-27-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Never been a Prankster fan (I honestly would just let Nightwing keep him as a rogue), but I did like the "professional distraction" spin. That was interesting and creative and something I'd like to see continue. That could get the Prankster in all kinds of comics, as other villains hire him out. Hell, it'd probably fold nicely with the invisible mafia that Bendis has created; how many times have those guys anomalously hired the Prankester to keep their own actions a secret?

I'd also give love to the Toyman. We should probably not go back to the child-murdering version, but he does need something of an edge.
    I swear, I am the only person who "liked" child-killer Toyman. Clark needs a creepy, horrible, Arkham worthy foe and Toyman was it. There is nothing else like him in Clark's rogues gallery.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I’ll take Toyman being a child killer over him being a pedophile. I do agree that Clark could use one of those Arkham types in his Rogues Gallery and I think Toyman fits fine.
    Last edited by Vordan; 09-29-2019 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hell yeah! I finished Up, Up, and Away recently and really loved your rework of him.
    Thanks!

Hey Mr. Busiek did you ever have any plans for Metallo or Parasite?
    I used the Parasite in my run; I think Geoff used Metallo in his.

Read your entire Astro City run and it’s some of the best comic storytelling I’ve ever read. Astro City’s detailed layout and worldbuilding with regards to a fictional city is something I wish writers would bring to Metropolis. Love how you’ve got actual fleshed out different city districts.
    And thanks again! I think having an explorable milieu is important.
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Toyman
    Prankster
    Livewire
    Lady Lunar
    Atomic Skull
    Maxima
    Lobo
    The 100
    Intergang
    SKULL
    Rampage
    Lady Blaze
    Lord Satanus
    Luminus
    Bloodsport
    Nuclear Man
    Obsession
    Titano
    Syrene
    La Encantadora
    Volcana
    Atlas
    Vartox
    Insect Queen

There are a lot of good concepts for Superman villains that rarely get developed over time by creators in relation to their issues with Superman, Lois Lane, Metropolis, or the cosmos. So many of them need to stand alone on their own terms and not in contrast to Brainiac, Luthor, Zod, etc.

They don't all have to be world or universe conquerors to be effective in challenging Superman or hurting those he loves.

Ultraman has a lot of potential that hasn't been explored. An evil AU Superman, usually involved with an evil Amazon Superwoman (who is sometimes also Lois Lane) is big and dramatic, but I think there's room to explore their psychology and motives more deeply.

Astonishing Member

It wouldn't even be too hard to revamp, just give him Arrow heads made of or lined with Kryptonite. It's a pretty easy fix and, if Superman got too close, the Kryptonite on the remaining arrows would begin to weaken Superman and The Archer could use them as knives in close quarters.
    Wouldn't the kryptonite radiation harm the Archer? Or are humans immune now?

I ask because I remember Lex lost a hand because of the kryptonite ring he wore.