Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

You know who I really miss?

Amok.

He showed up in the early early 00's, maybe even super-late 90's. He was just a dude with a suit of power armor and he could combine his hand blasts into an attack that could throw Clark to the moon.....but wasn't powerful enough to actually hurt him. He had fought Superman a few times and wasnt enough of a villain for Clark to remember, and that always pissed Amok off.

I always thought there was potential there; sort of Superman's very own Kite-Man in a way.

Oh, and Ignition was a fantastic villain who never got his due, either. Wish they had done more with him, he had a really interesting story.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Volcana from TAS has potential to be a threatening villain if she ever came to the comics. I always thought she should be given the ability to mimic red sun radiation so that way she can level the playing field against Superman.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

The problem with re-occurring "meat and potatoes"-villains for Superman is that to be a threat to Superman they pretty much have to be a threat to at least the whole planet, which by default elevate them above meat and potatoes-status. Still, The Machinist had a cool premise and managed to be a threat to Superman while not simultaneously being a threat to the whole world. I seem to remember him being unmasked and thoroughly defeated in a later run on Superman or Action Comics, which was a mistake. They should have kept the mystery of his true nature and motivations and built on it. Livewire is another example of a villain that managed to walk that tightrope, mainly because she doesn't really have an interest in utilizing her full destructive potential. She does need a stronger reason for having a rivalry with Superman though, as I don't really buy her just becoming a career criminal for the hell of it. Oh, and everyone just sort of forgot about Ulysses right after that Johns/Romita run as well, I thought he had a lot of potential even if he's more of a planetary threat than someone who specifically causes trouble for Superman.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Incredible Member

anomaly and blackrock had some potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You know who I really miss?

Amok.

He showed up in the early early 00's, maybe even super-late 90's. He was just a dude with a suit of power armor and he could combine his hand blasts into an attack that could throw Clark to the moon.....but wasn't powerful enough to actually hurt him. He had fought Superman a few times and wasnt enough of a villain for Clark to remember, and that always pissed Amok off.

I always thought there was potential there; sort of Superman's very own Kite-Man in a way.

Oh, and Ignition was a fantastic villain who never got his due, either. Wish they had done more with him, he had a really interesting story.
    I don't know if I ever heard of Amok (I think I had him confused with Amalak, maybe Superman could too?) but that sounds fun.

Ignition has a truly phenomenal design and mystique and I'd love to see him come back. I have no idea what his story's resolution ended up being though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    Karb Brak & the Composite Superman. Gosh I feel old!

Attachment 82992

Attachment 82994
    My most well-remembered Composite Superman story was the one where Metamorpho turned into Composite Superman for some reason, keeping his Element Man powers as well. I had absolutely no idea who Metamorpho was at all, or the Composite Superman, so it was really blowing my mind.

Honestly, the idea of a guy with the powers of the whole Legion... he's probably the most OP character on the non-cosmic side of the DCU, if he ever kept his powers for more than an issue or two at a time.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member

Like many others in this thread, I have to throw my vote behind Conduit. He had an awesome origin and he had a personal grudge against Clark. Which made it more personal. Plus I really loved The Death Of Clark Kent.

Ignition is also an inspired choice. I know they were teasing that he was secretly Zod, but the fact his true identity has never been resolved means there is a wealth of untapped potential.

Know who else I really like? Luminus. He was created for the TAS, but he never was (to my knowledge anyway) carried over to the comics proper. He had a great power set in that he manipulated light. He started out hating Lois. But because of Superman's intervention, he grew to hate him even more. The episode, Solar Power, had him changing yellow sunlight red.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    From the 60th anniversary in 1998 to the last quarter of 1999, his main enemy was a powerful reality warper who did just that.

IIRC even before CoIE he was associated with the military. But while it was a bigger part of his character after, he wasn't the face of the military with all of this power and ambition. I think it might have started with the animated series. But to me it makes the world too small.
    Actually, your probably thinking of General Hardcastle,voiced by Charles Napier. Who was introduced in the episode, Promethean, then showed up in the series finale two parter Legacy. The man always had a mad on for the Man of Steel, always referring to him as "the Alien". Forced into retirement after the debacle over how things with during the events of "Legacy". He was killed in the Justice League Unlimited , "Fearful Symmetry" when those involved with Project Cadmus thought he'd reveal all their dirty deeds. Surprised he wasn't ported into the comics. He'd seem like a more natural fit as a foil for Superman from the military/government.

Also, watching Cinemassacre's review of Superman IV:The Quest For Peace.

I'd like to see Nuclear Man get his proper due in the comics. He did have a brief appearance in Brian Bendis' and Ivan Reis' Superman#2. Starting a fight with Rogol Zaar, and losing. Wouldn't mind seeing the full story Prime Earth's Nuclear Man. Wouldn't be surprised him being a creation of Cadmus in their attempts to create their own Superman. As the Cinemassacre review talked about. Despite the villain being on many a fan's worst list. He's been homaged to by many times by writers, and producers in comics and in other media.
    Dabney Donavan. One of the founders of Cadmus who took his experiments into genetics, and cloning too far. He was quite a presence in the Superman Family of titles during the Nineties. Helped Lex Luthor get a new ,younger cloned body. Created the Evil Factory founders, Mokkari ,and Simian. And just caused loads of trouble all around for Superboy ,and the Cadmus staff all around. And had a stalky relationship with Cadmus wunderkind scientist Serling Roquette. Unfortunately, when Karl Kesel and Tom Grummet left their second run on SUPERBOY I left with them. But from what I've read there hasn't been much done with Donavan since. Would love to see him brought out of limbo.
    Ultra-Humanite. The body hoping mad scientist who's right up there with Josef Mengale. An extra dimensional entity called the Ultra-Humanite, that fed off people's fear. Terrorized Superman in the Nu52. But I wouldn't mind seeing the classic, mad scientist in an albino apes' body. With an attitude more in common how the villain was used in The Golden Age Elseworlds' mini series.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Like many others in this thread, I have to throw my vote behind Conduit. He had an awesome origin and he had a personal grudge against Clark. Which made it more personal. Plus I really loved The Death Of Clark Kent.

Ignition is also an inspired choice. I know they were teasing that he was secretly Zod, but the fact his true identity has never been resolved means there is a wealth of untapped potential.

Know who else I really like? Luminus. He was created for the TAS, but he never was (to my knowledge anyway) carried over to the comics proper. He had a great power set in that he manipulated light. He started out hating Lois. But because of Superman's intervention, he grew to hate him even more. The episode, Solar Power, had him changing yellow sunlight red.
    I was just thinking the other day of what I would do with Luminous! Yeah I like him too, cool power set, having a light based villain fight Supes makes a lot of sense.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Metallo should be a Cyborg enemy now. He's like an evil counterpart of Cyborg that's not Grid.

Anyway, I second Riot.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    Metallo should be a Cyborg enemy now. He's like an evil counterpart of Cyborg that's not Grid.

Anyway, I second Riot.
    At this point I think they’ve given up the idea of making Cyborg a solo character unfortunately, especially after the Justice League movie flopped.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Prankster. I think he has the potential to be a Joker to Superman. He's never really been utilized properly IMO.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    I don't particularly like the practice of finding new and exciting uses for Superman villains by transferring them to other heroes. It creates the frankly ludicrous impression that Superman was somehow holding them back. Henshaw becoming a Green Lantern villain for a while is a good example of this, although since Henshaw did blow up Coast City, it works a little bit on that level.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I don't particularly like the practice of finding new and exciting uses for Superman villains by transferring them to other heroes. It creates the frankly ludicrous impression that Superman was somehow holding them back. Henshaw becoming a Green Lantern villain for a while is a good example of this, although since Henshaw did blow up Coast City, it works a little bit on that level.
    Green Lantern got Henshaw, Mongul and Brainiac (briefly through Larfreeze). Add in Supes' other villains being loaned out to Supergirl from time to time. It's bad trend they've started.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Green Lantern got Henshaw, Mongul and Brainiac (briefly through Larfreeze). Add in Supes' other villains being loaned out to Supergirl from time to time. It's bad trend they've started.
    Both Henshaw and Mongul, with their partnership resulting in the destruction Coast City will forever link the two of them to Hal Jordan. Hell's bells, after escaping prison, Mongul went after Green Lantern as soon as he could get his yellow mits on. Despite it being a rookie Kyle Rayner, Green Lantern all the same. Besides, Cyborg Superman was in limbo for a while until Geoff Johns dusted him off early on in his ongoing Green Lantern run as the new Grandmaster of the Manhunters. Brainiac with his raiding planets, stealing their cities, and inhabitants. Then destroying said worlds. Would no doubt be on the Green Lantern Corps radar for his crimes. Metallo, I keep thinking back to the Brainiac Trilogy arc in Action Comics. Cyborg's own cybernetics, along with Metallo, and Robotman's own played a part in Brainiac's upgrade in that arc. With Cyborg being the JL's resident techie, he'd no doubt at some point cross paths with Metallo due to their cybernetic natures.

I pick The Archer. With a name like that you'd think he'd be in Green Arrow's rogues gallery, but seeing him face off with Superman is much more interesting.