Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Gimme the super lady baddies

La Encantadora- the more light hearted but still a big nuisance Catwoman esque rogue for Superman.

Cythonna- the real unstoppable force of the Superman books (or she should be)

I'm really fond of those two and how DC could use them.

I kept expecting The Red Mist to be a revamped La Encantadora but I think DC forgot she even exists/that Superman had a baddie who transports herself in red puffs of air.

Incredible Member

Preus from the mixed alien version of Kandor.

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Preus from the mixed alien version of Kandor.
    I’m kind of surprised that for an arc that attracted a lot of attention, Godfall had been pretty much forgotten.

Does Superman have a villain that only works while sleeping?

Imagine the nightmares and terror it could cause to people, including Superman. What if Superman could only attack it in dreams, and in those dreams any kind of surreal things could happen.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

From the 60th anniversary in 1998 to the last quarter of 1999, his main enemy was a powerful reality warper who did just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Fair enough. Was Sam Lane ever not that though? It seems like that was his role ever since Crisis. I kind of liked the buildup between Lane and Zod as each prepared to attack the other.
    IIRC even before CoIE he was associated with the military. But while it was a bigger part of his character after, he wasn't the face of the military with all of this power and ambition. I think it might have started with the animated series. But to me it makes the world too small.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Retired

Sam and Ella Lane living in Pitsdale and being this unassuming couple that never did much but live a routine life in a podunk town was just so perfect for Lois. She comes out of nowhere to be her own woman, rises to the top in journalism. It's a Horatio Alger story.

It's no fun if every character in the cast is one of the most important people in the country, world, universe. Superman just so happens to grow up in a small town that produces some of the the biggest movers and shakers in the U.S.A. He then goes to the big city, where everybody he meets is a reknowned superstar in their field--and not only that but they all come from families that have some of the greatest responsibiilites of anyone on Earth. Can we not have some side characters who just live an ordinary life--if only for contrast to make the achievements of the lead characters seem grander?

The DCU already had a number of power-mad military figures to choose from (tells you something about what American writers think of their military), they didn't need to make Sam yet another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    From the 60th anniversary in 1998 to the last quarter of 1999, his main enemy was a powerful reality warper who did just that.

Was this a reply to me? If yes, Was it a well done villain?

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    dominus,and he is far terror than just manipulating dreams,he can pull thouhts into reality.
    he finally been backfire imprisoned by superman uses his power to creat a phantom zone projector
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Evolution King. He was a scientist who created pills that make people younger or older. He was able to make young people old. As well as turn adults into infants.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    We haven't had a good Mongul-as-badass-warlord since...Exile I think? Ever since, he's always second fiddle. I think a return to form for him could be fun. He's a ripoff of Thanos (who was ripped from Darkseid), so use that. Huge universal threat guy.

There was a guy in the 90's called Savior who had a neat idea behind him. A serial killer who thought Superman was a "great deceiver" and thought that the real Superman was still dead (and had even carved the S into his forehead, ala Charles Manson). It spinned out of 'Dead Again', so he'd need changed now probably, and I think a good crime writer like Brubaker or Bendis could do a lot with a serial killer like that. A human foe Superman can't punch, done in a horror-esque 'Seven' kind of story would be cool. He might not be a very good bad guy for Superman most of the time, but he'd be a good villain for Lois & Clark, intrepid reporters. Just don't let him grow big again.
    I freaking LOVE Mongul and the potential he has...unfortunately he rarely gets used to his potential. I also liked his daughter and thought maybe she would have good potential as well.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    It's a really long story but yeah, Dominus was pretty great. I think if you have read Grant Morrison's Action saga it's worth checking out, especially.

Speaking of which, I remember just being in love with that Action cover Vordan posted. Sky was the limit with that run.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop1998 View Post
    dominus,and he is far terror than just manipulating dreams,he can pull thouhts into reality.
    he finally been backfire imprisoned by superman uses his power to creat a phantom zone projector
    It's a really long story but yeah, Dominus was pretty great. I think if you have read Grant Morrison's Action saga it's worth checking out, especially.

Speaking of which, I remember just being in love with that Action cover Vordan posted. Sky was the limit with that run.
    Sounds good. Is the Morrison Action run very recent? I just look for it as Grant Morrison Superman Action run?

Yeah, commonly called Action Comics volume 2, really it's issues #0-18 from fall 2011 to spring 2013. There were a lot of characters thrown in that we haven't seen since. And one villain Xadu, is used seldomly. He's a good one.

Yeah, commonly called Action Comics volume 2, really it's issues #0-18 from fall 2011 to spring 2013. There were a lot of characters thrown in that we haven't seen since. And one villain Xadu, is used seldomly. He's a good one.
    why is it Volume 2?

They temporarily started the numbers over for appeal, so we went from like Action comics #904 or so to Action vol 2 #1. Then when they switched back after 52 issues, we had Action #957