Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Livewire is another example of a villain that managed to walk that tightrope, mainly because she doesn't really have an interest in utilizing her full destructive potential. She does need a stronger reason for having a rivalry with Superman though, as I don't really buy her just becoming a career criminal for the hell of it.
    The New Earth version had an interesting explanation:

Of course explaining her behavior like that meant she was doing a face-turn, and became one of Superman's sidekicks. Which is a plot device I would LOVE to see explored.

Imagine the CW version of Livewire seeing her step out of a portal. Livewire vs Livewire!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Volcana from TAS has potential to be a threatening villain if she ever came to the comics. I always thought she should be given the ability to mimic red sun radiation so that way she can level the playing field against Superman.
    Volcana was too much of an anti-hero. I mean, in her debut episode we saw Superman save her from the actual bad guys. She DID join villain teams later, but we never found out why. I could see her as a recurring character who regularly annoys Superman, but not as a proper villain.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    anomaly and blackrock had some potential.
    Blackrock was great. And I'm not saying that just because Lucia was hot. It's an interesting powerset, and kinda-sorta a Superman version of VENOM!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The One and Only View Post
    Both Henshaw and Mongul, with their partnership resulting in the destruction Coast City will forever link the two of them to Hal Jordan. Hell's bells, after escaping prison, Mongul went after Green Lantern as soon as he could get his yellow mits on. Despite it being a rookie Kyle Rayner, Green Lantern all the same.
    Then he later joined the Sinestro Corps....

Volcana from Superman: The Animated Series made an unnamed cameo in Superman 80-Page Giant #1 (2010)

Superman also battled another Volcana who was an Apokoliptian warrior trapped in the bottle city of Kandor and controlled by the wizard Tolos in Action Comics #725.

I wouldn't mind seeing Loophole, Obsession and Puzzler again as well.
    Last edited by Lonewolf36; 08-02-2019 at 12:39 PM.

That reminds me. Volcana's original origin story had a GIGANTIC question mark shaped hole in the middle of it. Where did she come from? Most of the characters think she's human, but her powers are innate abilities she was born with. The story kinda fudges this by saying that in the DC universe Humans can have psi powers. It's just that the guy Superman talks to about this is apparently one of the most powerful Human psis and his powers are barely strong enough to levitate a coffee cup. The most impressive thing he does is distract some gunmen by making a car tire burst telekinetically. But Volcana's pyrokinesis makes that look like a harmless party trick. What??? "She's the most powerful pyrokinetic I've ever seen!" Yeah... and that's BEFORE she went into a murderous rage and started melting buildings. It's kinda like saying that she's the only one out of 20 clones to develop a mutation that gives her super powers... It works as an origin story, but it has a weird leap of logic to it. Obviously she's important because she's powerful, but all the others at that school for psis put together don't have half her power. So retconning it to say she's NOT Human makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Volcana from Superman: The Animated Series made an unnamed cameo in Superman 80-Page Giant #1 (2010)

Superman also battled another Volcana who was an Apokoliptian warrior trapped in the bottle city of Kandor and controlled by the wizard Tolos in Action Comics #725.

I wouldn't mind seeing Loophole, Obsession and Puzzler again as well.
    Puzzler showed up in the New 52 as a male robot. He was alright, but I think I like Johns Puzzler better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Puzzler showed up in the New 52 as a male robot. He was alright, but I think I like Johns Puzzler better.
    Me to thats the one i meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'd say Conduit. He had a good powerset, a fascinating backstory
    This is quite similar to how I feel about Blackrock, and Blackrock was not even really a person.

I loved the mystery surrounding Ignition. Cool looking character with power and potential. I wouldn't be mad if a revamped Conduit showed up again, either.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I thought the lack of payoff for Ignition was quite disappointing. I remember fans speculating on the old DC boards about who Ignition was, and Joe Kelly and Jeph Loeb adding fuel to the mystery fire. Then nothing came of it, and come to find out that they never really had any direction for the character in terms of his identity.

Ruin was another disappointment, mainly because after Rucka's story I don't think we ever saw him again. Conduit would be in a similar boat/category.
    Thank you. I thought I was the only one who gave a remote damn about Ignition.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Pretty much everyone outside of Lex fits the bill but I’m going to signal out Metallo
    Along this line of thinking I'd like to see more from Metalo, Metal Zero, and Metal Skull.

You mean the woman who can break her body apart into puzzle pieces? It was funny seeing Superman beat her by stuffing all the puzzle pieces into a trash can.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    This is quite similar to how I feel about Blackrock, and Blackrock was not even really a person.
    Alien horrors are people too! But seriously, the Blackrock/s did actually have a personality separate from their hosts. I was hoping for a lingering enemy like how Spiderman has Venom, but when they did a story explaining where it came from, they basically had it go home.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Alien horrors are people too! But seriously, the Blackrock/s did actually have a personality separate from their hosts. I was hoping for a lingering enemy like how Spiderman has Venom, but when they did a story explaining where it came from, they basically had it go home.
    Okay, okay they're people. They're people.
    Were they? I think they could do a lot more with Blackrock and I see that idea coming back at some point or being expounded upon in a film or something.

Definitely Atomic Skull. This guy's too badassed to go underused.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Okay, okay they're people. They're people.
    Were they? I think they could do a lot more with Blackrock and I see that idea coming back at some point or being expounded upon in a film or something.
    It's a footnote in most stories. But it's key to why there were multiple hosts. The Blackrock would periodically decide it didn't like the current host, then it'd just abandon them. Most stories don't actually show us what the Blackrock is thinking though.... most. It's the story with several of them where it gets interesting. and the dc.fandom articles on Blackrock don't have that part readily accessible.

Here's a summary from Wikipedia:
    It was eventually shown that the Blackrock had been kept by Superman, who eventually locked it away in his Fortress of Solitude. The Blackrock eventually escaped and bonded with Plastic Man. Shortly after, the Blackrock was removed from Plastic Man and found its way into the hands of Batman, who shortly afterwards decided he needed its powers to help him stop a currently-rampaging Superman (Superman had fallen under the influence of Despero as he attempted to turn Earth's alien heroes against humans). Although it remained on Batman after Superman threw off Despero's influence, Superman was able to force it to leave Batman by threatening to kill him, informing the Blackrock that he knew Batman would rather die than live like this.

took a while but I found it: Superman/Batman #33 (2007)
    4450288-4620311515-DwV-p.jpg
    For some weird reason the wiki doesn't even mention that Blackrock is in the issue... I should fix that.