Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

People saying to just continue with Parker, aren't really understanding the whole point of a reboot. If they just swap directors/writers and actors and just tell a new parker story its a sequel not a reboot unless they set it in a whole new universe but that will greatly confuse casuals. At the same time, it feels like Parker's story has been played over and over. Another reboot is more than likely going to have another origin story. That's the purpose of a reboot but do we really need to see Peter's origin story told again for the third time?

I think its time for a new spidey character to get a chance on the big screen, new story, new themes, and new powers etc...

Quote Originally Posted by colossus34 View Post
    I think its time for a new spidey character to get a chance on the big screen, new story, new themes, and new powers etc...
    But Avi Avad has stated he doesn't want those stories told.
    Honestly Sony should just sell back the rights if they have to reboot the series again.

Quote Originally Posted by colossus34 View Post
    People saying to just continue with Parker, aren't really understanding the whole point of a reboot. If they just swap directors/writers and actors and just tell a new parker story its a sequel not a reboot unless they set it in a whole new universe but that will greatly confuse casuals. At the same time, it feels like Parker's story has been played over and over. Another reboot is more than likely going to have another origin story. That's the purpose of a reboot but do we really need to see Peter's origin story told again for the third time?

I think I get where you’re coming from, and I agree it would be neat to see Miguel or Miles on the big screen. But as Aruran said, Avad has stated pretty vehement opposition to the idea, and unfortunately, he and Amy Pascal seem to have all the power over Spidey at the moment.

Having said that, I don’t think a reboot automatically means there has to be a new character under the mask. I agree with you that we don't need to see a third origin story, but I think even Sony is smart enough not to do another origin story if they were to reboot with Peter Parker. They’d probably start him off as Spider-Man already. And with villains like Mysterio, Vulture, Kraven, Chameleon, Carnage, and others yet to make their big screen appearances, I’d say there are still many stories to tell with the character. I still don’t think Peter’s supporting cast has been fully explored or fleshed out in the movies.

I do agree with your main point that it would be cool to see a Miles or Miguel movie, and I hope the executives of Sony reconsider their position on the issue. I’m curious by the way, why are you referring to Peter exclusively by his surname?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Brian Braddock showing up in the movies isn't going to get Marvel to pair Peter up with Betsy, just so you know. Stop trying to make Spider-Man X Psylocke happen. It's not going to happen.
    I was referring to Brian Braddock showing up in the Spider-Man film long before he became Captain Britain, and Betsy would have appeared as his twin sister(without the purple hair, nor the Asian lady body switch).

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I was referring to Brian Braddock showing up in the Spider-Man film long before he became Captain Britain, and Betsy would have appeared as his twin sister(without the purple hair, nor the Asian lady body switch).
    Which would work except you are forgeting that she appeared in Captain Britian and then X-men before her body swap, so Fox would have the rights to Elizabeth 'Betsy' Braddock, its a cool idea but it will never happen unless Fox buys the rights to Spider-Man and I'm unsure how people would feel about it but i don't want Fox anyway near Spidey what they are doing to Fantastic Four is bad enough as far as i'm concerned.
    Truth is the best policy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    Which would work except you are forgeting that she appeared in Captain Britian and then X-men before her body swap, so Fox would have the rights to Elizabeth 'Betsy' Braddock, its a cool idea but it will never happen unless Fox buys the rights to Spider-Man and I'm unsure how people would feel about it but i don't want Fox anyway near Spidey what they are doing to Fantastic Four is bad enough as far as i'm concerned.
    I actually like Betsy as she first appeared in the pages of Captain Britain long before the body switch. In fact, why couldn't Marvel had introduce Psylocke as an Asian Ninja who got blind in battle and leave Betsy in the Captain Britain's world.

One way to make a reboot different would be to set it in the 1960s, which would also make it visually interesting. It might also make it less profitable. But it is a thought.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I see no need to do a hard reboot. Just recast everybody and make no mention of the previous films, just that he's been Spider-man "for a while."

Start him in college if you still need him in some sort of school. It worked for the 90s toon. There's not even any need to use the same characters. Spider-man's know plenty of people. He can survive a few movies without MJ, Jameson, or any of the Osborns around if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I see no need to do a hard reboot. Just recast everybody and make no mention of the previous films, just that he's been Spider-man "for a while."

Start him in college if you still need him in some sort of school. It worked for the 90s toon. There's not even any need to use the same characters. Spider-man's know plenty of people. He can survive a few movies without MJ, Jameson, or any of the Osborns around if need be.
    If they make a new series and it has JJJ, and it's successful. Then we all know what makes Spider-Man movies great.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

The last few Spider-Man movies seem to indicate that the franchise struggles when they leave some of these characters out.

It would a shame on Garfield's part, who I hope gets the chance to be in a good Spider-man film that lives up to his talents. However, I actually felt that ASM2 could have been an ending chapter for Garfields Spidey if it were to be the last in this series.

But no, Sony shouldn't reboot the series. Even if every single villain that's been introduced has been pretty terrible so far, that doesn't mean that the series should be scraped. Just look at the x-men series: two instalments in a row sucked ( X3 and origins ) but now that series is at it's peak now. Sony shouldn't have rebooted after SM3. However, if we do get another Batman Robin, then Sony are simply gonna have to return the rights.
    I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers... I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And we have, man, we have, all of us. Homes, and our families, normal lives. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it's giving us something. It is giving us a chance.

Incredible Member

Just do a James Bond on the Spider-Man series. Don't adhere to a strict continuity or actor set.

Extraordinary Member

Yes. I personally think the entire Webb-Verse is a flop, financially its a success. But thats mostly because following Raimis series, Spider-Man is a huge favourite.

BANNED

If they reboot again, I don't think they should center an entire movie on the origin once more. Drop the audience in the middle of the action, do glancing flashbacks to the spider-bite. Most moviegoers know this story by now.

I don't think it could hurt trying to bypass the whole teenage years either. I know this is what a lot of people seem to think is Spider-man's appeal, but emphasize the "man" aspect of the character for once. Start him out in college at least. Then we can skip a lot of the meandering puppy love, teeny bopper aspects of these movies for once.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

There wouldn't be a need to reboot if Sony didn't keep killing the villains. /sigh

Literally no good comes from killing villains. It may feel "right" but it destroys the prospect of future stories.

Right now, the Spidey Franchise is not doing so well. Three lack luster movies in a row is very bad. What Sony really needs to do is get back down to the basics and tell a single, compelling story with just one bad guy. Furthermore, they need to stay the heck away from the Osborns. They are Spidey's principle rogues but they do not work when they pop up as villains in almost every film. Spider-Man has so many other great villains that get absolutely no love, villains that could easily be used to tell fresh, interesting stories.