Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Snyder's Justice League Appreciation/Discussion Thread

I'm really loving Snyder's Justice League, there are a few small personal things I don't like but overall i'm really digging the direction of this title. However, I am aware that people are feeling a bit lost and bombarded by the title (which i understand) so I felt we needed a thread where we can show some appreciation and discuss this era of the Justice League title; help make sense of it all.

A Bold New Era

- Please be civil, this is an APPRECIATION and DISCUSSION thread
    - If you're lost with what's going on in the title, ask (don't complain) and someone will help
    - If events from this title spill over into other books (or vice verse) they can be discussed here as well

the Primordial Forces thus far
    Flash: Still Force
    Green Lantern: Invisible Spectrum
    Aquaman: Tear of Extinction
    Wonder Woman: The Void Wind
    Martian Manhunter: The Black Apple
    Superman: The Sixth Note
    Batman:
    Hawkgirl:
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-30-2019 at 11:54 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I’ve been pretty shocked how long we’ve gone with no thread for this topic. So far I’m enjoying JL, although it still suffers from the Snyder tendency to sprint from one universe ending threat to the next with no breathing room in between, but that suits JL more than Batman so it doesn’t bother me that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’ve been pretty shocked how long we’ve gone with no thread for this topic. So far I’m enjoying JL, although it still suffers from the Snyder tendency to sprint from one universe ending threat to the next with no breathing room in between, but that suits JL more than Batman so it doesn’t bother me that much.
    Same! I was surprised no Justice League thread popped up, especially considering how often I see either people saying they love the title or complaints about people no following what's going on. So I said "**** it, I'll do it" and made one.

I don't really see it as going from on world ending event to another, I see it more like one ever-escalating threat; considering every thing is directly a result of the previous thing.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

I think it’s been a pretty fun ride so far. Really seemed to hit its stride with the Hawkworld arc and now this future Justice League arc has really been excellent. Jimenez has stolen the show though. As good as he was on Superman and Super Sons, his art had just gone next level with this. I know Cheung was supposed to be the headliner, but Jimenez has just run away with this book.

The only complaint I have had was that parts of the Atlantis arc seemed incredibly rushed. Almost to the point it was like reading an outline. Though the JL in pirate costumes was pretty great and I thought the conclusion was solid.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Same! I was surprised no Justice League thread popped up, especially considering how often I see either people saying they love the title or complaints about people no following what's going on. So I said "**** it, I'll do it" and made one.

I don't really see it as going from on world ending event to another, I see it more like one ever-escalating threat; considering every thing is directly a result of the previous thing.
    That’s a fair analysis but that also hits on another Snyder weakness (in my eyes obviously): His endings. He’s been building up this Justice-Doom War since Day 1. Can he deliver? If he can’t its going to retroactively hurt his run because everything he’s been doing has been leading up this, and the War is going to lead into what happens next.

Fantastic Member

Also at last it's a flagship title again. The 'Hitch' run in my opinion was just not interesting. Yeah, it is pretty epic, rushing from one big storyline to the next, but that's how it should be. Those small 'character' beats are the breathing spaces and they are beautifully done.

Why make an "appreciation" thread for an on going title? Usually, Appreciation threads are about characters. Are we then not allowed to make negative comments about the title or should we make a separate thread that allows for criticisms?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Why make an "appreciation" thread for an on going title? Usually, Appreciation threads are about characters. Are we then not allowed to make negative comments about the title or should we make a separate thread that allows for criticisms?
    Why make an appreciation for an ongoing? To appreciate it of course! You can criticize something while still appreciating it, they're not mutually exclusive concepts. It's an appreciation and discussion thread, if you are enjoying the title, want a better understanding so you can enjoy it better, or just want to compare notes, this is the place to do it. However, If one's interpretation of criticism is just being presistently negative or complaining about a title (both of which has all too often become the norm for "fandom"), or if someone just plain doesn't like the title, then someone can make a thread for that. I figured people would appreciate a positive space to show love and discuss the title.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 03-23-2019 at 03:05 PM.

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s a fair analysis but that also hits on another Snyder weakness (in my eyes obviously): His endings. He’s been building up this Justice-Doom War since Day 1. Can he deliver? If he can’t its going to retroactively hurt his run because everything he’s been doing has been leading up this, and the War is going to lead into what happens next.
    Definitely a big concern, Metal's ending mainly worked for me because if wasn't necessarily an ending; on it's own it's pretty ok for such an epic event. That being said I think it would be (imo) smartest to close it out leading into not another event but an all new era for DC going forward, which I think is his plan. Bring the run to a satisfactory end but leave each characters with something they can take into their respective franchises, titles, etc. going forward. Book-end his story with something more definitive than Metal but still somewhat open ended for the the characters. That would be my ideal way to go.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 03-23-2019 at 03:07 PM.

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't see nothing wrong at all for having an appreciation thread for an ongoing title. If you want to make negative comments about the book just for the sake of it, do it somewhere else, just not here.

Mighty Member

I am greatly enjoying this run and this new arc in particular seems very promising. Scott Snyder really has a way of getting you pumped about what's happening on the page.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

The only reason I support DC Comics is because of Scott Snyder's work. He's doing a good job on the run. And I can't wait to see what he has in store for Justice Doom War.

Jimenez is doing a fantastic job on art. I really hope he's the one who ends up being the main rotating artist. I like Cheung but Jimenez is on a roll.

Gives me childhood memories.

Scott Snyder also does a good job in characterizing the leaguers when they work together. He brings great dynamics to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post

Gives me childhood memories.

Scott Snyder also does a good job in characterizing the leaguers when they work together. He brings great dynamics to the team.
    this is such a great cover and it is perfectly overt yet subtle with communicating what that arc was going to be about. The Totality landing, Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter literally at the center of this cosmic mystery, Flash looking confused and unfamiliar with his powers, John struggling with a new force emphasizing his ring, and The Trinity tying it all together with each of their poses communicating what they represent as characters. Batman the shadowy imposing figure, Wonder Woman the elegant and proud warrior, and Superman the beacon of hope. Jimenez is definitely one of the best in the business right now.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 03-24-2019 at 10:49 AM.

currently following: