All-New Member

Default Has there been a comic book accurate portrayal of Two Face in movies?

To me, there are three major components to his character. 1)Showing he suffers from split personality disorder 2)The coin-flipping compulsion to make decisions 3)Show he deals out his own version of justice
    Last edited by RasAld; 04-03-2022 at 08:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, pretty much.

He did a great Harvey Dent but I found his brief period as Two-Face felt rushed and half done.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

When Eckhart interrogated Jokers goon in the subway using his coin

But two face himself no
    Both of them are too emotional
    There's not yet that cunning mastermind
    He needs a whole movie

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    He did a great Harvey Dent but I found his brief period as Two-Face felt rushed and half done.
    Well, we're talking about Two-Face .

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

TDK was pretty close, but after he gets scarred I didn't really feel like he had a split-personality. He was just bitter and evil, and flipped the coin as many times as he needed to get the result he wanted more or less. Then again I think the extent of his split personality varies based on the writer in comics and other adaptations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    TDK was pretty close, but after he gets scarred I didn't really feel like he had a split-personality. He was just bitter and evil, and flipped the coin as many times as he needed to get the result he wanted more or less. Then again I think the extent of his split personality varies based on the writer in comics and other adaptations as well.
    Well, they never really set up Dent having identity issues before he got scarred to properly set up the Two-Face personality as a split personality. I think the intent was that his personality and ethics became as changed and scarred as his face so that, as Two-Face, he was effectively an entirely different person.

Extraordinary Member

TDK nails the Pre-Crisis version of the character, where its less "split personality" and more "criminal-evangelist of capricious chance."
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Tommy Lee Jones also had an acceptable version for the time. His version is pretty much spot-on for the Two-Face in Prodigal.

Sure, TAS had already created a better Two-Face by then but it's not like his portrayal in the mainline comics was great (or stable).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Incredible Member

I would say TDK matches The Long Halloween's dark vigilante avenger. I think the build up was pretty well done, but there wasn't a hint or suggestion of his split personality or anything that lead to the mental scarring that made Two Face (Abusive parents, his mental instability, etc).

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

IMHO, no. There's been no accurate comic book portrayal in film. TDK didn't go with Harvey's comic book origin, and I think Harvey's comic book origin is iconic and important. Batman Forever I just don't take seriously, so I disregard that.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”