Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 116
  1. #1

    Default Thoughts on the 2020 Democratic Field Policy and Focus of your Candidate.

    There is an All-purpose political thread going on. But I wanted a little more focus on the Democratic Field for 2020.

    Let's talk actual Policy positions and not the personality of the Persons involved.

    Candidates, can you get behind?

    What specifics of the Policy/Policies do you support?

    How do you think those policies compare to the field and are there examples of that position that works at the state or local level.

    Do you see those positions being adopted or already in function elsewhere in the world?

    Please post your links to videos.
    Does the person have a history pro or con on the policy that you support.

    Let's talk about the field for 2020, Let's even go at your state Elections.

    States now are not the solitary entity they used to be and have huge implications on the national and even global level. Such as Californias Environmental stance.

    The goal of this thread is not to snipe or badger, but show Policy contrasts, and hopefully from the Candidates own words, not third party sites which may favor or bias the candidate or the policy.
    Last edited by Tazirai; 03-22-2019 at 08:46 PM.
    Is always confused.....

    My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

    My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

  2. #2

    Default

    So to start off with myself. I consider myself a stateside (Left Wing) (World level Centrist) Social Democratic Progressive.

    Some of the people I support at my state and Local Levels, I'm currently living in North Carolina, are Roy Cooper, a vast improvement over the last Governor.

    Coopers policy positions helped to get him elected handily last time, and he's been at the forefront in the state of pushing back on Voter Suppression and Gerrymandering. NC has been a sorespot in many elections due to the Bills passed, like the Anti-LGBTQ Bill, and the closing of Election sites statewide, barring minorities and students from voting.

    William Barber has also been keen to play a huge role in the Democratic Progress of the state. He's helped influence a lof of the Progressive Push in North Carolina, and even though he's stepped down, still plays a large role in the Progressive Values of the party as a whole.

    On the National Level I've been looking at several candidates who I think would each make great POTUS Picks or VP/Cabinet Picks.


    Andrew Yang

    I'm a Bernie Supporter, but I do like some of the things people like Andrew Yang says about Universal Basic Income. As a Sci-fi horror writer. Many of the worlds I've created the people there have basic Income, which is a system I researched and found not that hard to create.

    To me, a Universal Basic Income is something easily accomplished, and along with Medicare For all, are all policy positions I'd love to hear on the major stages of Debate.

    Here's Yangs list on Universal Basic Income or UBI.
    https://www.yang2020.com/policies/the-freedom-dividend/

    Marianne Williamson

    She doesn't have a ton of Political experience, but has actually drafted a plan for Reparations, which as a Black Male is something I like personally, but the how's and why's to implement them have to be clearly thought out.
    Here's her stance in her own words.

    Is always confused.....

    My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

    My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

  3. #3
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,592

    Default

    It is too early to tell. In fact it is a year before the election primary. The candidates can change their views in a year. But my best bet is on Jay Inslee or Kirsten Gilibrand.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,170

    Default

    Personally I like Warren the best of all the candidates. She’s one of the few that is actively laying out policy specifics like her tax plan and not just listing platitudes of the Democratic Party. The Ultra-Millionsire tax, Universal Childcare, an Ammendment to protect voting rights definitley show the direction she wants to go in and a will to really take and layout concrete steps that could open her up to attack.

    I like Gabbard’s anti-interventionalist foreign policy. But I feel like that’s all she has going for her and this country is too war hungry whether they admit it or not.

    On Yang, I think Universal Basic Income will become a necessity soon. However you can’t win as a one issue candidate

  5. #5
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    20,299

    Default

    I won't begin to make my decision until (At least) after the first debate. There are some candidates I like, others I don't, but none stand out just yet. Basically, what I am looking for is someone who can handle the job. Someone who is well rounded, able to deal with trouble abroad as well as trouble at home. Someone who has the backbone to stand up to threats (foreign and domestic) and not cave in. Someone smart, really smart, who is dedicated to the job and to protecting this country and all it's people.

    I'm not going to judge a person so much by where they stand on the political spectrum (They have to be Democrats, of course), but on the strength of their character, the content of their hearts, their devotion to the job, and their willingness to be open minded as far as solving problems goes yet able to stand their ground against any that try to create more problems. Energy is good as well, being a hard worker who has the energy, the physical and mental strength, to handle 4 to 8 years of grueling hard work. It also helps if they are seeking the Presidency for the right reasons, and not purely as an ego trip or in ignorance as to how hard the job really is.

    Any candidate that can come close to these requirements (as close as possible), I'll consider.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.
    DBM: Meagan/Cyanna/Dash/Mirror Mage

  6. #6
    Mighty Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Underneath the Brooklyn Bridge
    Posts
    1,229

    Default

    As someone who wouldn't be considered left enough socially to be considered a Democrat, but is generally fiscally liberal (socialized medicine, living wage) and is adamant about various issues such as ending the war on drugs and decreasing foreign interventionism, Tulsi Gabbard is in my eyes, easily the best candidate.

    Andrew Yang is an interesting character. However, I think that UBI, while more efficient than the current welfare state, would be disastrous for American society. I think a lot of the recipients of the theoretical 1,000 $ given out by Universal Basic Income would consider that handout to be an incentive not to work. Also it might lead to the American divorce rates skyrocketing with spouses becoming more financially independent. I think the superior way to deal with the rising prevalence of automation would be for government to put regulations machinery in manufacturing.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 03-23-2019 at 08:56 AM.

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    9,877

    Default

    Personally I like Beto's health plan. Not so much Medicare for All as Medicare for Anyone - it leaves room for private insurance while expanding medicare to cover gaps. Those people with good health coverage from their employer can keep it yet those without other options can still get coverage.

    Most people who say they support Medicare for All change their minds when they realize it means losing their current insurance.

    As someone who leans libertarian, I like free market solutions, yet I realize that it has limits, especially when it comes to health care. The market will never be completely free in that area, since the freedom to walk away carries too high a price.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Personally I like Beto's health plan. Not so much Medicare for All as Medicare for Anyone - it leaves room for private insurance while expanding medicare to cover gaps. Those people with good health coverage from their employer can keep it yet those without other options can still get coverage.

    Most people who say they support Medicare for All change their minds when they realize it means losing their current insurance.

    As someone who leans libertarian, I like free market solutions, yet I realize that it has limits, especially when it comes to health care. The market will never be completely free in that area, since the freedom to walk away carries too high a price.
    And I think that's a terrible system because it still makes the better healthcare the ones for people who can get the jobs that are willing to pay for it while the second option is for everyone else. Also because most companies will see a decrease in overhead if they don't cover people, you will start to see less companies offer insurance.

    I don't think people really care about who their carrier is or if they get their insurance from their job or the government as long as they can

    1. Keep the doctors they want.
    2. Have everything covered and be affordable.

    As a society we've decided certain utilities like a police force, like a fire department, etc were to important to be part of the free market. Healthcare is too important to be part of the free market.

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    9,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    And I think that's a terrible system because it still makes the better healthcare the ones for people who can get the jobs that are willing to pay for it while the second option is for everyone else. Also because most companies will see a decrease in overhead if they don't cover people, you will start to see less companies offer insurance.

    I don't think people really care about who their carrier is or if they get their insurance from their job or the government as long as they can

    1. Keep the doctors they want.
    2. Have everything covered and be affordable.

    As a society we've decided certain utilities like a police force, like a fire department, etc were to important to be part of the free market. Healthcare is too important to be part of the free market.
    In the long run such a plan would likely end up as merely being a transition towards more of a single payer with private supplemental insurance rather than a permanent solution. But it is an easier first step than doing it all at once - and greasing the wheels towards change is going to be important. Despite the growing popularity of single payer, most people aren't fully aware of what that truly means, and the centrists in Congress are highly unlikely to go direct towards the end goal. And to be honest, I just want to start seeing improvements, and have no interest in holding out until the perfect solution comes along. Besides, we currently have a 2-tiered system in the US already. The best in the world for the wealthy, and fear of bankruptcy over a single bad bill for everyone else, coupled with far too low of a life expectancy for the money spent. I don't see a 2-tiered system with a higher floor than we currently have to be a bad thing compared to the existing system.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

  10. #10
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    14,850

    Default

    Warren and Sanders so far on overall policies ( healthcare, infrastructure, college, progressive taxes). Gabbard on foreign policy. Harris...I dunno. The jury is still out the others.

    I want Warren to get rid of her PR person. Stop playing yesterday's democrat game of trying to be "relatable." Come hard with the policy talk and when Fox and Trump start their slander, don't play their game. Take a page from Cortez and Sanders...call it out for the bs that it is and keep going.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    In the long run such a plan would likely end up as merely being a transition towards more of a single payer with private supplemental insurance rather than a permanent solution. But it is an easier first step than doing it all at once - and greasing the wheels towards change is going to be important. Despite the growing popularity of single payer, most people aren't fully aware of what that truly means, and the centrists in Congress are highly unlikely to go direct towards the end goal. And to be honest, I just want to start seeing improvements, and have no interest in holding out until the perfect solution comes along. Besides, we currently have a 2-tiered system in the US already. The best in the world for the wealthy, and fear of bankruptcy over a single bad bill for everyone else, coupled with far too low of a life expectancy for the money spent. I don't see a 2-tiered system with a higher floor than we currently have to be a bad thing compared to the existing system.
    Honestly I think it's better to just do it all at once. If you make it optional, the public option will be weakened by Republicans every chance you get and they'd say "see this is failing, we need to run back to the free market". Obamacare was an improvement, until there were additional options and bad faith actors screwed with it.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Warren and Sanders so far on overall policies ( healthcare, infrastructure, college, progressive taxes). Gabbard on foreign policy. Harris...I dunno. The jury is still out the others.

    I want Warren to get rid of her PR person. Stop playing yesterday's democrat game of trying to be "relatable." Come hard with the policy talk and when Fox and Trump start their slander, don't play their game. Take a page from Cortez and Sanders...call it out for the bs that it is and keep going.
    I've seen Warren debate in person. She would murder Trump. She's more aggressive than Hillary was and she doesn't pull punches. She's who I want to see on stage with him.

    I think Sanders is amazing, I'm just worried that he'll stick to his overall talking points and miss chances to beat Trump up on his own failings. I think Gabbard comes off great when she is able to calmly explain her position, but again, weill she get that chance?

  13. #13
    Really Feeling It! Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,125

    Default



    Samantha Bee has done a good job looking at the Democratic Candidates. NSFW language.

  14. #14
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    14,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I've seen Warren debate in person. She would murder Trump. She's more aggressive than Hillary was and she doesn't pull punches. She's who I want to see on stage with him.

    I think Sanders is amazing, I'm just worried that he'll stick to his overall talking points and miss chances to beat Trump up on his own failings. I think Gabbard comes off great when she is able to calmly explain her position, but again, weill she get that chance?
    Bernie's problem is he keeps getting flustered whenever someone asks him about race. He really needs someone to coach him on why even in the 21st century race still matters. He seems to think that if we just fix the class issues, that'll fix everything else and really it's more complicated than that.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Bernie's problem is he keeps getting flustered whenever someone asks him about race. He really needs someone to coach him on why even in the 21st century race still matters. He seems to think that if we just fix the class issues, that'll fix everything else and really it's more complicated than that.
    Sanders real problem is that he can't brigde the age gap. Minorities under a certain age support him like crazy. So I don't think that his perceived issues on race really matter to him. He has the same issues with older minorities as he has with older whites, where they see him as kind of a troublemaker. I think the core of that is that the Democratic playbook going back to Bill Clinton has sort of been this ideal of being a centrist who can appeal to fiscally conservative minded people while still pledging allegiance to the social policies of the left. Aka the unicorn that is fiscally conservative and socially liberal. And Sanders doesn't really follow that mold so he's seen as an affront to that group. So you have older people who are skeptical and hesitant with him or just bitter that he may have undermined candidates they had decades of loyalty to, and then younger people who love him and want to support his policies full stop and don't want compromise. I think this is troubling for Democrats because the more volatile voting block seems to be behind Bernie (young people need to be pushed to vote).

    But realistically I think Sanders biggest issue from a debate standpoint is he is pretty much all in on his economic policies and doesn't want to be dragged down with more controversial issues.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •