Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Not gonna lie. Bernie nailed that townhall. Had Conservatives laughing at Trump and cheering Medicare for All.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Was rather disappointed she hadn't declared interest in running. I wonder if she would be open to being VP.
    While she is an obvious choice just in "Here's Where She's Been/Here's What She's Done..." terms, there is also a pretty obvious list of reasons for her not to even consider it this time out.

Spectacular Member

Around this time before their respective elections both President Obama and President Trump were considered unlikely to win the White House. Perhaps Senator Sanders is not the foregone conclusion many would say he is.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Around this time before their respective elections both President Obama and President Trump were considered unlikely to win the White House. Perhaps Senator Sanders is not the foregone conclusion many would say he is.
    True enough. At this point in 2007, all the pundits were sure that Hillary Clinton would definitely be the nominee and that maybe Barack Obama could be President some day, but not this election cycle. And at this point in 2015, most of the pundits were sure that either Jeb! Bush or Marco Rubio would be the nominee, and if anyone brought up the name Donald Trump, the host would say something like, "Oh don't even waste our time with that noise!" So yeah, maybe it is too early to make any kind of predictions or assumptions.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    JFK was also unlikely to win the election, given the anti-catholic sentiment in the US. Many Americans believed John F. Kennedy would rather obey the Pope than enforce the US Constitution.
    JFK was not the first Catholic to become a presidential candidate. New York governor Al Smith was the first Catholic US presidential candidate and he lost the POTUS election in 1928. Many Protestants feared his candidacy, including German Lutherans and Southern Baptists, believing that the Pope in Rome would dictate his policies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Smith

Just wanted to say, I've been back for a bit, but gonna take a long vacation from CBR. I've been happier not posting and not getting involved with the politics of the board, or just engaging in general. Good luck in the election, and may your candidate go far. /deuces.
    Is always confused.....

My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ns-firearms-m/

This article is technically correct, but really misses the point (ironic, considering the headline) that Booker wants to increase gun regulations so that, you know, fewer kids get shot in their schools. This makes me lean a little more toward Booker now.
    Last edited by Malvolio; 05-11-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Just wanted to say, I've been back for a bit, but gonna take a long vacation from CBR. I've been happier not posting and not getting involved with the politics of the board, or just engaging in general. Good luck in the election, and may your candidate go far. /deuces.
    I'm glad you were only on a vacation and not gone for good. Do what you need to stay happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ns-firearms-m/

This article is technically correct, but really misses the point (ironic, considering the headline) that Booker wants to increase gun regulations so that, you know, fewer kids get shot in their schools. This makes me lean a little more toward Booker now.
    Considering the spin on his pharmaceutical votes it seems par for the course, but I'm still waiting to see how things shake up over the next year for everyone.

NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio declared his candidacy for U.S. President today.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio declared his candidacy for U.S. President today.
    Yeah, good luck, Mayor De Blasio. No mayor has ever been able to win the presidential nomination. Same with the mayor Pete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_D...tial_primaries

Steve Bullock also joined the race a couple days earlier. I think a little-known or obscure governor of a sparsely populated state has a good chance of winning as a United States senator. After all Bill Clinton won the election. So did Jimmy Carter.

and let's not forget Senator Michael Bennett who declared his candidacy on May 2. I wonder if American people would decide to elect a candidate of Jewish descent born in another country. Barry Goldwater and John Kerry, both of whom have Jewish ancestry, lost. John McCain, who was born in Panama, lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    . . . let's not forget Senator Michael Bennett who declared his candidacy on May 2. I wonder if American people would decide to elect a candidate of Jewish descent born in another country. Barry Goldwater and John Kerry, both of whom have Jewish ancestry, lost. John McCain, who was born in Panama, lost.
    As long as he has was born as a U.S. citizen (the parents being U.S. citizens), being born outside the U.S. may not be as big a deal as, unfortunately, religious background could be.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    As long as he has was born as a U.S. citizen (the parents being U.S. citizens), being born outside the U.S. may not be as big a deal as, unfortunately, religious background could be.
    A lot of people in America made the presidential candidate's religious background a big deal. That is why Al Smith, the first Catholic presidential candidate lost. That is why Mitt Romney, the first Mormon presidential candidate lost.

Quoted from Wikipedia:
    Historians agree that prosperity, along with widespread anti-Catholic sentiment against Smith, made Hoover's election inevitable. Hoover defeated Smith by a landslide in the 1928 election. Historical hostilities between Protestants and Catholics had been carried by national groups to the United States by immigrants, and centuries of Protestant domination allowed myths and superstitions about Catholicism to flourish. They feared that Smith would answer to the Pope rather than the United States Constitution.

The Ku Klux Klan held cross burnings across the country in protest to his nomination and people feared that a Catholic would be more loyal to the Pope than to the American people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1928_U...ntial_election

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Smi...ntial_campaign

JFK was elected in 1960 in spite of anti-Catholic attitudes. And among the many reasons why Mitt Romney lost, his being a Mormon was the least of them.

Astonishing Member

If people find the candidate viable enough they will vote for them. Imagine telling someone even in 2005 that the next President would be a black guy whose middle name was Hussein.

Astonishing Member

Even non-Mormon Republicans still have old prejudices against their Mormon colleagues. Therefore Romney could not unite the whole party unlike Trump.

What the Democratic Party needs is someone who can unite all democrats or at least support issues that everyone can agree on.

Maybe the Democrats should find someone who has more extramarital affairs than Trump. If they find him/her viable enough, they should nominate him/her.