Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerr View Post
    Garbage fire? Lmao
    I'm curious what are some of your favorite DC comics?
    I'm being serious. Name your top 5 DC stories. I would just like to know what does not qualify as a garbage fire?
    All Star Superman
    Superman: Secret Identity
    The Flash by Mark Waid
    Starman by James Robinson
    JSA by Geoff Johns
    New Frontier
    JLA by Grant Morrison
    JLA: Year One by Mark Waid
    The Triangle Superman era (especially '88 to '94 or so)
    Mister Miracle by King/ Gerads
    Batman: Year One
    Green Arrow by Kevin Smith, Brad Meltzer
    JLI by Giffen and Dematteis
    Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War by Geoff Johns
    Supergirl by Peter David
    Young Justice by Peter David
    Birds of Prey by Gail Simone
    Swamp Thing by Alan Moore
    Animal Man by Grant Morrison

What, you want more?

Sorry, I just like my superhero comics with coherent stories, actual characterization and a bit of depth would be nice too. Blackest Night had none of these and was a total anti-climax after the promise built up by Sinestro Corps War and the years of the stories in between. Nice art, though.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I'm OK with the Teen Lantern, but I can see Jokerr's point though. From what I read it seems she hacked a GL power battery rather than a ring? I'm curious where she get that in the first place cause it's not like the battery will fly all around. Imagine someone just lost his/her battery and can't charge the ring lol. It would be a really funny panel for her to hack the battery by connecting computer to it or whatever. Anyway, I'll wait and see what happens.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I believe he has an idea of what he wants to do. I cant guarantee it'll be good though. I am interested in seeing where he's going to go with the concept. I understand all the animosity towards Bendis, I've been burned too but I'm enjoying YJ right now and it's still early.
    Point taken 9th. Good argument.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

You got some good picks, though... mister Miracle, By king? Coherent? I don't know about that one... I'm pretty sick of kings pretentious writing. I droped that book after issue 4 or 5 it made no sense to me. And the way every thing kept jumping from one place to the next... but ok.
    I would also disagree about blackest night.
    you don't seem to have much GL in that list which leads me to believe you're not a big GL fan.
    So I get why you might not be so excited about him and all this other stuff going on, especially it being so different from what you normally like, but calling it trash? Even if you're not that crazy about it, it is faaaaar from trash. Especially considering all the other dumb and awful stuff out out there.
    Also the definition of coherence would be : logical, consistent
    Which it was.
    I had no problem following the storyline. And most of the characterizations have been build up prior to the actual event.
    What I think that happened is you read sinestro corps war, you were intrigued for BN but not that interested to read everything leading up to it.
    And finally you jumped into BN, got confused and disregarded it as "Trash"
    I was in a similar boat. When I first got into dc comics BN was one of the first books I picked up. And I hated it. It made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. A few years later being a bit more familiar with dc I started reading JG run on GL from the very beginning and I loved it! it's all down to perspective really.
    Mister Miracle isn't pretentious, it's ambitious, personal and uses the comic book form in interesting and exciting ways.

I read all of the comics leading up to Blackest Night and that's a large part of why I hated it. It's not that I didn't understand it so much as I was let down by teh fact that it followed up on so little of the more interesting stuff leading up to it as the Black Lanterns were boring, the plot around them was overstretched and it ultimately became typical of Johns' fanboy writing at its worst. It had little in the way of emotional stakes (though some of the tie-ins had that at least) and it felt like little more than eight issues of boring fisticuffs and plodding and uninteresting nonsense around this increasingly convoluted mythology. Johns isn't a deep writer but he normally writes stories with at least some substance or at least interesting plotting. It sort of took all the good things about Sinestro Corps and did the opposite. It's a boring "event" comic that had the potential to be so much better than that.

Oh and I am a big GL fan, actually. The Rainbow Corps thing just had me lose interest for years. And his book has never quite been top of the pile for me but during my time reading comics I've enjoyed Green Lantern runs by Gerard Jones and Ron Marz with Grant Morrison doing exceptional stuff with Kyle Rayner in JLA and Tom King taking the same character in an intersting direction in Omega Men. Plus, I loved Guy Gardner's appearances in JLI as well.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I gave Bendis a shot with Man of Steel.

Now I wish he was off the Superman books in general. Not just because of aging up Jon, but so many bad characterizations. Parts where characters suddenly went brain dead and acted completely opposite how they normally would.

And "Caca poo-poo" was only a single highlight of it.

Seriously try and make sense out of final crisis.
    Okay. The God of Evil has obtained his ultimate power and is coming to Earth in his physical form. Because of his incredible power and godhood, the universe begins dying. After his minions take over the Earth, the superheroes have to rally to stop him to the best of their ability. At the same time, the Monitors- cosmic beings who watch over the Multiverse from outside- deal with the return of their ultimate evil and the passing of their age.

Final Crisis isn't convoluted at all. It's a fairly straight foreward superhero story with classic cosmic comic overtones.

EDIT: Oh, and quick correction to my post earlier in this thread. Wally West was Kid Lantern, not Teen Lantern. To be honest, Teen Lantern is a better name, but i see what Waid was doing.
    Last edited by Jody Garland; 03-25-2019 at 12:59 AM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It wouldn't be advisable to swim near sharks unless you are in a controlled situation (and not bleeding, either).

Then again, the largest of the living shark species is the whale shark, which can grow to a little over 40 feet / 12 meters long. But that eats plankton, not large meaty things. The second largest of the sharks, the basking shark, is also a plankton-eater.
    I've swam with reef sharks on the Great Barrier Reef and it was awesome.
    Regarding Teen Lantern, it's a bit early to be jumping up and down. We haven't learnt anything about the character yet.
    Give Bendis a chance to tell the story. If it sucks, THEN tear him a new one.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I do not like to delete posts, and certainly not a lot of them, but that's what I had to do on this thread. Please try to be civil or I will have to speak to the powers that be about some suspensions.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Okay. The God of Evil has obtained his ultimate power and is coming to Earth in his physical form. Because of his incredible power and godhood, the universe begins dying. After his minions take over the Earth, the superheroes have to rally to stop him to the best of their ability. At the same time, the Monitors- cosmic beings who watch over the Multiverse from outside- deal with the return of their ultimate evil and the passing of their age.

Final Crisis isn't convoluted at all. It's a fairly straight foreward superhero story with classic cosmic comic overtones.

EDIT: Oh, and quick correction to my post earlier in this thread. Wally West was Kid Lantern, not Teen Lantern. To be honest, Teen Lantern is a better name, but i see what Waid was doing.
    Any thinking about Final Crisis would be really well informed by Rikdad's remarkable blog posts about it.

I'd thought I'd gotten everything Morrison was doing with it but Rikdad showed me stuff I'd never have found on my own. Highly recommended reading...

https://rikdad.blogspot.com/2018/01/...ew-part-i.html

Incredible Member

No offense but I have to disagree. Final Crisis was very convoluted. I mean yes, I got the gist of what was going on like in your summary but actually reading the book made my head hurt.

i dropped by to comment on final crisis.

i am actually glad that it wasn't just me that found final crisis a bit confusing. especially the how the tie-ins err.... tied in with the main story... (why was darkseid on earth again?)

i like morrison and i'm glad he on green lantern, but final crisis was just a bit too far out there for me.

about hacking a gl ring (or was it a lantern)... i don't know... what i'm thinking right now is here is another earth lantern in a sea of earth lantern's.

and aren't we getting another kid asian lantern sometime soon?

The Asian Teen Lantern is a Zoom or Ink book- one of those young readers/teens books DC is doing- and doesn't look like it'll be main universe canon. It is incoming though.

The Asian Teen Lantern is a Zoom or Ink book- one of those young readers/teens books DC is doing- and doesn't look like it'll be main universe canon. It is incoming though.
    i wonder what dc's business model with that. so a new/young reader gets introduced with an asian teen lantern, and eventually moves on to the main earth lanterns?