Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Bendis loves the "magical special girl" troupe. His teen Lantern at DC is just a rehash if his Riri Williams character over at marvel.

BANNED

well the question of why there wasn't a teen lantern has been asked.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...a-teen-lantern
    as to the criticism blame Geoff John's who first coined the phrase in his teen Titans run.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Wait, Bendis, the guy who is currently writing the most amount of genuinely good to great books at DC must stop it? Nah, that's OK.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

If one of the major issues being had here is that the ring didn't choose her, then the argument is slightly invalidated by the fact that it isn't even a new idea. One of the founding basis of Kyle's entire run was that he wasn't chosen to be a Lantern, he was just in the right spot at the right time.

I find it hard to believe that hacking a lantern is somehow more insane to accept than "I was just taking a moment to relax in an alley and a blue guy gave me a ring."
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Teen Lantern? Meh. Arisia was only 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Wait, Bendis, the guy who is currently writing the most amount of genuinely good to great books at DC must stop it? Nah, that's OK.
    Ew.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I don't think Bendis's prominence will last at DC. His Superman and Action issues currently selling less than their Rebirth counterparts, odd considering that Bendis is supposedly one of the most powerful writers industry compared to frankly b-list talent Tomasi and Jurgens. You also have the hotly anticipated return of Cassie Sandmark, Conner Kent, and Bart Allen to the DC Universe, in Young Justice, whose second issue is in the 30,000 range. I think there are enough comic book fans who abhore Bendis enough for the character's he is on to take a hit financially, so I think DC will either downgrade him to lesser titles, or show him the door.
    I highly doubt any of this. This is exaggerating any perceived failure in these numbers for this comics climate and also underrating Tomasi and Jurgens' names within DC (furthermore the Rebirth/Bendis gap is not that prominent). DC overestimated what his name would bring, yes, but the numbers he's pulling are not bad for today. Looking for any indications of a downgrade, or even more an outright dismissal, is a fool's errand at the present date.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member

Yes lets tell the guy who took off the scrap heap Jessica Jones & Luke Cage.
    Who introduced Miles Morales & Riri Williams.
    4 characters-who account for 2 tv shows, an Oscar winning movie and an animated short.
    Who account for 10+ solo series.
    Miles Morales who has done more than EVERY black character at Dc has in the last 20 years.
    Bendis who probably saved the Young Justice kids from the Heroes in Crisis assassination of Wally West series.

He needs to stop? No I say let him keep on going.

If a teen Green Lantern can end the "I love you Hal JOrdan" fest going on in Green Lantern-so be it.
    If that teen Green Lantern can FINALLY get DC to INVEST in all those teens-so be it.
    If teen GL is Riri 2.0-so be it. When was the last time a female teen of color did anything at DC? Other then get killed in Heroes in Crisis or edited out of Batman books.

I don't have to read every book he does but if he can force CHANGE-so be it.

It's 3 issues in.... revisit this when it's 24 issues in.

Trades are out. How here's nugget on Amazon-the trade for Young Justice (out in October 2019) is HIGHER then the Champions trade (coming in July). A 5000+ gap. So SOMEBODY is interested in that book.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

One persons genuinely good is another person hot garbage. I can not stand Bendis at this point with his "screw what come before I am just going to do whatever the hell I want" attitude. It drove me off many many Marvel series and it drove me off the Superman books which up to him coming on had been some of my favorite reads every month.

When it comes to Superman, the reality is Bendis isn't ignoring much. Not like DC has anything close to a coherent continuity right now across the board anyway, so its hard to stay true to something that made little sense when you arrived, if he wanted to or not. That aside though, the degree in which he's "ignoring" Superman continuity is flat out exaggerated. There's one or two genuine hiccups in regards to recent happenings at best.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-23-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Bendis loves the "magical special girl" troupe. His teen Lantern at DC is just a rehash if his Riri Williams character over at marvel.
    Noami fits that as description as well.

Fact: Teen Lantern is a stupid name (but not as stupid at Boy-Thing). It's inane to have a person from Earth "hack" a millennia old device that's been worked and reworked by far superior aliens. Bendis could have used a Coluan that hacked the ring, named her Jade, and that would have at least made some sense.

It will be nice when bad writers quit making people of Earth smarter than every alien race that has solved world hunger, intergalactic travel and racism. To any advance species we are mere apes with iphones.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Yes lets tell the guy who took off the scrap heap Jessica Jones & Luke Cage.
    Who introduced Miles Morales & Riri Williams.
    4 characters-who account for 2 tv shows, an Oscar winning movie and an animated short.
    Who account for 10+ solo series.
    Miles Morales who has done more than EVERY black character at Dc has in the last 20 years.
    Bendis who probably saved the Young Justice kids from the Heroes in Crisis assassination of Wally West series.

He needs to stop? No I say let him keep on going.

If a teen Green Lantern can end the "I love you Hal JOrdan" fest going on in Green Lantern-so be it.
    If that teen Green Lantern can FINALLY get DC to INVEST in all those teens-so be it.
    If teen GL is Riri 2.0-so be it. When was the last time a female teen of color did anything at DC? Other then get killed in Heroes in Crisis or edited out of Batman books.

I don't have to read every book he does but if he can force CHANGE-so be it.

It's 3 issues in.... revisit this when it's 24 issues in.

Trades are out. How here's nugget on Amazon-the trade for Young Justice (out in October 2019) is HIGHER then the Champions trade (coming in July). A 5000+ gap. So SOMEBODY is interested in that book.
    You talk as if introducing a character of particular race or gender is somehow automatically a criteria for good writing or storytelling. And I hate to burst your bubble but it's not. But judging by your argument you wouldn't know what is. There is absolutely no coherence between what is being discussed in this thread and what you're saying. Has anyone even mentioned Hal Jordan lol.
    Anyway you're not the type of person with whom one can have a reasonable discussion. The phrase "Force CHANGE" already tells me what type of person you are...

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    When it comes to Superman, the reality is Bendis isn't ignoring much. Not like DC has anything close to a coherent continuity right now across the board anyway, so its hard to stay true to something that made little sense when you arrived, if he wanted to or not. That aside though, the degree in which he's "ignoring" Superman continuity is flat out exaggerated. There's one or two genuine hiccups in regards to recent happenings at best.
    Yeah, this is why i wasn't so upset with the idea of Bendis ignoring continuity after coming to DC, they lost any sort of coherence a long time ago. I still have other problems with him like his dialogue, but his Man of Steel was acceptable.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

So if she hacked the ring, then she is keeping it from finding a more qualified user? Hard to find that heroic. I imagine as soon as she bumps into a real GL, they’ll have a problem with that. Anyway maybe she’ll be a good character but I don’t want her to catch on. Enough human GLs already.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropeburn View Post
    Noami fits that as description as well.

Fact: Teen Lantern is a stupid name (but not as stupid at Boy-Thing). It's inane to have a person from Earth "hack" a millennia old device that's been worked and reworked by far superior aliens. Bendis could have used a Coluan that hacked the ring, named her Jade, and that would have at least made some sense.

It will be nice when bad writers quit making people of Earth smarter than every alien race that has solved world hunger, intergalactic travel and racism. To any advance species we are mere apes with iphones.
    Given that in real life we humans have never seen or been in any contact with any alien races, I don’t see why we need to prop ourselves down for the sake of any nonexistent species. Not in our fictional escapism anyway. And if there are any intelligent life outside our wet dirtball of a planet, chances are they too evolved into what they are out of dumber primitive ancestors same as us. Maybe not out apes but something.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    well the question of why there wasn't a teen lantern has been asked.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...a-teen-lantern
    as to the criticism blame Geoff John's who first coined the phrase in his teen Titans run.
    It's even older! Wally West was briefly Teen Lantern in Waid's pretty fun Brave and the Bold miniseries from the '90s.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    First Teen Titans and now Young Justice, Champions just can't catch a break.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest