Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Gotta say I am loving Bendis’ Young Justice so far and we definitely have not seen enough of teen latern’s story to draw any kind of conclusions about the character. How about waiting to see how Bendis attempts to tell the story before all the ridiculous hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    Yeah, but if he ain't disregarding continuity it would be good to see the odd explanation for these glitches, if we the fans can (as you so cleverly addressed) then surely Bendis can. He doesn't'. It is his toybox now and he'll what he likes' seems the attitude. Still nothing about Jor-El's reappearance and that isn't decade's old continuity. How can anyone state Bendis is a good writer I beyond me. His interpretation of Lois, well can't even call it that! Who was that? No sorry to disagree but Bendis has ruined Superman's current popularity. Proof' sale figures. You're in the minority. As I stated as for 'Teen Lantern' his main concern should be putting flesh on the bones for the character. Instead his main spotlight is on established characters, we know how and why the behave in certain ways, (though that s not safe under Bendis) what we knew to know sooner rather than later is the background to their new characters. Knowing Bendis that Isn't guaranteed and is worrying. Prepared to give him a little longer, but at the six issue Mark, we should know a little bit more about this lantern, beside as Jokerr stated this kindergarten behaviour.
    I'm not a big fan of Bendis' Lois either. I'm certainly not of the opinion everything he's doing is perfect. But its a stretch to say he's ruined Superman's popularity. If popularity in this case = sales, then he's still in pretty much the same place since the New 52 started. He was in a really precarious place before Flashpoint, New 52 bumped him, Rebirth continued to do well, and here we are now with not much of a drastic change. The sales figures are not that different. Not enough to raise major eyebrows. So its hard to claim majority/minority on anything here. If we're being honest, reception overall seems mixed, and it depends on where you go.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

I'm not sure why a lot of people seem to have a problem with Teen Lantern. She(?) hasn't done anything yet that warrants such dislike. If we're being honest, Teen Lantern isn't even the worse thing Bendis has done since he started writing for DC.

Bendis's decisions regarding Jon, Rogol Zor and Lois's characterization have been sketchy at best but YJ is the best thing he's written in years. I understand that people are concerned about continuity, but DC has been paying lip service to 'continuity' for years, while the continuity of their universe deteriorated and made no efforts to sort things out. Currently, continuity is a mess and its best not to pay attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerr View Post
    Yeah? So she's been in only three issues.What's your point? I feel like I've been taking to the air this whole time.
    Because she hasn't done anything for you rage out like this, I'll give you the rundown of what she's done so far "Uh Hi, I'm Teen Lantern." That's my point, when she's actually done something rage-fuel worthy we can revisit this topic.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The whole premise of the character just bugs me. For one Bendis just did this "super genius special girl" troupe over in Iron Man. For another the idea that even a super smart earthling can just hack tech created by the oldest species in the universe is just beyond nonsense to me. I hate when they show any Earthling being magically smart (this goes for character like Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Mister Terrific,and others also), but to have it be some random teenager just makes it all the worse. Maybe if they had said she got a hold of a damaged GL ring and somehow was able to use or it picked her by mistake it might work, but "special girl" being able to outhink the Guardians just doesn't work for me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Because she hasn't done anything for you rage out like this, I'll give you the rundown of what she's done so far "Uh Hi, I'm Teen Lantern." That's my point, when she's actually done something rage-fuel worthy we can revisit this topic.
    Lol that's cute. Are you deliberately playing dumb or just don't know how to read? I recommend you go back and look through the thread. I've very clearly stated what my issues with this character are. They're really not that hard to understand. Good look...

How exactly has the ring been "hacked" ? Also keep in mind there is a difference between corrupting the ring and being able to wield it! Something Geoff John's touched upon in GL rebirth when Green Arrow puts on a ring to defend himself against sinestro. He says, and I quote:
    Green Arrow-"I don't know if I could've used this thing again. Feels like I haven't slept in days, hard to think...I'm exhausted. Forcing your willpower into the ring. Asking it to give your thoughts life...is that what it feels like?"
    Kyle- "Every time"
    Green Arrow- "Damn"
    So apparently it's not just something you can put on and trick.
    I believe it was hacked by an AI in Hitch's JLA run. Cyborg Superman did it near the conclusion of the GLs title. (hmm, it was Baz's ring both times...)
    And while I mostly like John's retcon that it's not easy to use a GL ring, that wasn't the case for a long time before that. Any idiot could use it before *cough*G'Nort*cough* Seriously though, if anything, having G'Nort as an official GL never made sense as anything other than a one-off joke.

I get your reservations about what's been written about TL so far, but I am adapting a "wait and see" attitude since we don't know anything about her or how she got her powers. She seems to wield a gauntlet and power pack not unlike Krona's old gauntlet rather than a ring so there are any number of reasons Bendis can come up with. Black Hand created a device that could use and manipulate GL ring energy back in the day, so who knows?

Actually we do know how...
    Bendis said she hacked the ring.
    You're kind of slow to this aren't you? I mean you must be if you think Bendis has any real "plan" mapped out.
    People say "we really don't know what the full story with this character is yet", but you seem to enjoy insulting them and treating those people like morons.

Great way to have a "discussion".

If you're so smart, perhaps you can enlighten people by presenting a full, detailed story about how/when the character first got access to a power ring and what they were able to do to it in order to unleash its abilities?
    And do we know if that's the "real" story, or is there something more about this that might be revealed in the future?

Extraordinary Member

So what you're saying is it doesn't matter what lazy plot devices they throw at you, even if It disregards everything established so far and cheapens the integrity of the characters and mythos as long as it moves the plot forward. Gotcha!
    And everyone wonders why comics are getting so dull...
    Okay, well do you have definitive proof that the plot or story is “lazy” other than your gut feeling based on the basic concept??

Fantastic Member

It is far to early to say whether this is good or bad writing. The character has been in three issues and has had no backstory. Let's see what he does with it first.

For me, I'm greatly enjoying Young Justice so far.

Astonishing Member

Her biggest problem is she's in a Bendis comic. A comic that has the tall task of giving the original YJ crew everyone's been clamoring for enough screen time and then also completely building this mew character, written by Bendis. Whether you love or hate Bendis it is impossible for anyone to believe he is anything but a significantly decompressed writer who struggles to write plots or dialogue or character growth succinctly. When you have an overcrowded cast, significantly more important characters and other characters (I mean aside from the YJ crew we ALSO have Jenny and Amethyst), and 22 pages a month, it's going to take probably literal years for that character to get any meat on her bones.

Bright side, she balances out the gender ratios on the team. YJ was always rotating in and out female characters because of the age old Teen Titan/YJ problem of all the main superheroes except Wonder Woman's line having nothing but male heroes so there's the token Wonder Woman derivative (Donna, Cassie) and no other female presence. I assume that's part of why Jenny Hex and potentially Amethyst are there, too.

That little girl being able to hack the most powerful weapon in the universe, created by the most ancient beings in the universe is just ridiculous. It completely robs the rings of what they're meant to be.
    And no full detailed explanation can make up for it.
    Well you already made up your mind, Don't read the book and move on with your life. It is just comics. Stories of the fantastic is the norm. Besides you are completely unwilling by the post to see if there is a good story or not. Multiple earth green lanterns didn't ruin Green Lantern,Multiple Lantern corps didn't ruin green lantern, New spectrum out of nowhere didn't ruin green lantern,Guardians shown to be f*** ups over and over didn't ruin Green Lantern. A teenager hacking into a lantern/ring won't ruin green lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The whole premise of the character just bugs me. For one Bendis just did this "super genius special girl" troupe over in Iron Man. For another the idea that even a super smart earthling can just hack tech created by the oldest species in the universe is just beyond nonsense to me. I hate when they show any Earthling being magically smart (this goes for character like Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Mister Terrific,and others also), but to have it be some random teenager just makes it all the worse. Maybe if they had said she got a hold of a damaged GL ring and somehow was able to use or it picked her by mistake it might work, but "special girl" being able to outhink the Guardians just doesn't work for me at all.
    What is it about aliens that makes people think they should be so much smarter than humans?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Bendis' Lois either. I'm certainly not of the opinion everything he's doing is perfect. But its a stretch to say he's ruined Superman's popularity. If popularity in this case = sales, then he's still in pretty much the same place since the New 52 started. He was in a really precarious place before Flashpoint, New 52 bumped him, Rebirth continued to do well, and here we are now with not much of a drastic change. The sales figures are not that different. Not enough to raise major eyebrows. So its hard to claim majority/minority on anything here. If we're being honest, reception overall seems mixed, and it depends on where you go.
    Can understand that, point taken. Meant popularity has waned. Thank you for responding.

Fantastic Member

MajorHoy and 9th, do you really think Bendis has a plan? We still HAVEN't had Joe-El reappearance explained and why Lois & Clark allowed their son to leave with him? Nonsenical and contrived. Bet you it'll never be explained. Who let this man lose on the DC universe!? Yes' am enjoying his 'Young Justice' so far, but there are his usual traits starting to manifest, but will give it some more time. I just agree with Jokerr about this new character 'Teen Lantern' he really should be concentrating on laying some foundations for her' now rather than later, same for Jenny Hex. Fingers crossed, but judging how he's handling Supe' s world, I'm concerned.