Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Eh, the emotional spectrum is an OK enough concept but I really don't like how it entirely took over the GL franchise for years. I'm so glad that Morrison's excellent Green Lantern has left it behind.
    This! Exactly this!

It was a cute idea that might have been fun for a couple of stories, then it took over everything. It's a canon-hog! It's the same reason I don't particularly like Lex Luthor or Reverse Flash or the Joker. They take over every little thing they touch. Geez, let someone or something else be important for a while!

Honestly, I know I'm in the minority but I would have actually liked to have seen more of GL's rank-and-file baddies. Like his Earth-bound foes. But then, Johns kind of messed up the ones he did use. (Ahem: "Mr. Johns. The point of the Shark as a villain is that he's an evolved creature that still has a shark's predatory mindset. Not that he actually eats people. You'd have been better off making him an assassin or a stalker or a serial killer or, yes, even a sexual predator if you want to go full sleaze").

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    MajorHoy and 9th, do you really think Bendis has a plan? We still HAVEN't had Joe-El reappearance explained and why Lois & Clark allowed their son to leave with him? Nonsenical and contrived. Bet you it'll never be explained.
    I don't know if Bendis has a plan or if/what will be explained (or when). But even though I am not reading ANY of the Bendis-written books, I can't confidently say "we don't know yet".

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerr View Post
    . . . Anddddd your upset that some(minor character) monster sharks ate a few people (because ordinary sharks nEveR attack people, so why would a monster shark?) . . .
    Having worked at an aquarium in the education department for several years in the past, I think I can confidently say sharks don't normally want to attack / eat people. Sometime they mistake them for the types of food they would normally go after, and other times there may be other circumstances involved.

Generally, though, sharks would rather not bother with human beings.

Generally, though, sharks would rather not bother with human beings.[/QUOTE]

Yeahh, I still wouldn't swim up to one though...

BANNED

Considering one of my favorite Lanterns is a 8-year old kid I dont have a problem with the concept of a kid/teen lantern.

I like Teen Lantern so far. Honestly, the only thing I could be pissed about Bendis is aging Jon, I don't read Superman, so I don't care too much.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I do kind of wonder how the Guardians might react to her because I don't think they'd look kindly on a kid hacking a Green Lantern ring and going about it unsupervised.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Considering one of my favorite Lanterns is a 8-year old kid I dont have a problem with the concept of a kid/teen lantern.
    Beg your pardon but I think you've missed the point. Jokerr has stated very clearly that the character's age isn't the problem. His/her complaint is that she was able to "hack the ring" (which Bendis himself has stated). Not only is this a pretty scummy thing for a supposed "good guy" to do (since it prevents the ring from finding a more worthy user) but it diminishes a major part of the lore; the ring choosing it's wielder.

I can see why Jokerr has a problem with this. It would be like writing a He-Man comic in which some two-bit wizard is able to just siphon away the Power of Grayskull from Prince Adam and use it for himself. See what I mean about diminishing the lore?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy
    Having worked at an aquarium in the education department for several years in the past, I think I can confidently say sharks don't normally want to attack / eat people. Sometime they mistake them for the types of food they would normally go after, and other times there may be other circumstances involved.

Very true but keep in mind that the Shark is fully sapient and has human-level intelligence. Clearly he's not going to behave exactly like regular sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF
    Honestly, I know I'm in the minority but I would have actually liked to have seen more of GL's rank-and-file baddies. Like his Earth-bound foes. But then, Johns kind of messed up the ones he did use. (Ahem: "Mr. Johns. The point of the Shark as a villain is that he's an evolved creature that still has a shark's predatory mindset. Not that he actually eats people. You'd have been better off making him an assassin or a stalker or a serial killer
    I see your point but I have to admit I did the same thing with the Shark in one of my fanfics.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 03-24-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Yeahh, I still wouldn't swim up to one though...
    It wouldn't be advisable to swim near sharks unless you are in a controlled situation (and not bleeding, either).

Then again, the largest of the living shark species is the whale shark, which can grow to a little over 40 feet / 12 meters long. But that eats plankton, not large meaty things. The second largest of the sharks, the basking shark, is also a plankton-eater.

I'm okay with Teen Lantern being a prodigy with uncanny hacking abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    MajorHoy and 9th, do you really think Bendis has a plan? We still HAVEN't had Joe-El reappearance explained and why Lois & Clark allowed their son to leave with him? Nonsenical and contrived. Bet you it'll never be explained. Who let this man lose on the DC universe!? Yes' am enjoying his 'Young Justice' so far, but there are his usual traits starting to manifest, but will give it some more time. I just agree with Jokerr about this new character 'Teen Lantern' he really should be concentrating on laying some foundations for her' now rather than later, same for Jenny Hex. Fingers crossed, but judging how he's handling Supe' s world, I'm concerned.
    I believe he has an idea of what he wants to do. I cant guarantee it'll be good though. I am interested in seeing where he's going to go with the concept. I understand all the animosity towards Bendis, I've been burned too but I'm enjoying YJ right now and it's still early.

a new character has been introduced that we know nothing about?

Seriously, this is what people are mad about now? When did being a fan of something become constantly jumping the gun and being a drag about every other thing we're supposed to be fans of? I wasn't too crazy about adding another Lantern into the mix when DC's consistently had a hard time juggling the ones we already have but c'mon. You don't think you may be being a bit melodramatic?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I dislike his current work, but I won’t say anything regarding Teen Lantern since, ostensibly, it’s Gleason’s creation.

You could just not read it.
    Last edited by Kurisu; 03-25-2019 at 07:26 PM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Sooooooo..... you don't want any longgggg and though out plot lines that slowly build up and actually lead to something. You don't want any big top level bad guys. You don't want any character evolution. Anddddd you're upset that some(minor character) monster sharks ate a few people (because ordinary sharks nEveR attack people, so why would a monster shark?)
    Also going from a man eating shark to a sexual predator is quite a stretch...
    Anyway, so what was is again you want to see?
    Green lantern, on earth stopping bank robberies and beating up shoplifters? That sure does sound exciting Adam!
    Wait, you mean the concept that built up to the garbage fire that was Blackest Night? Nah, I'd rather have Hal fighting bank robbers. And, I don't think Johns did much with Hal as a character. With Sinestro, certainly, but his Hal was pretty bland.

But the point that I'm making is that there was a lack of balance and restraint in Johns' Green Lantern. The rainbow corps were a cool idea that would have worked had they been only a small part of the mythos or even just the focus of a concentrated two-year-long arc. Instead, they took over the entire franchise for endless years that the very idea of Hal Jordan as a space cop in Morrison's series looks massively radical as a result. This has long been my biggest issue with Geoff Johns. He's not the deepest writer but he does a very fine job crafting superhero comics, just so long as he is reined in and prevented from steam rolling over everything else going on. It's something that people like to blame Bendis for - and understandably - but DC's golden boy wasn't much better.

I like both writers a lot but they're both examples of when editorial guidance is a good idea.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

BANNED

I'm hoping Bendis' stuff fails and he gets put in his place as just another hack. It's okay if he gets writing gigs so he can support his family. But I'm tired of him being genuflected to and touted around as The Greatest Ever.