Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The most widely acclaimed Wonder Woman story ever

... is what, exactly?

Does Diana already have such a tale?

Something approaching the level of influence by ALL-STAR SUPERMAN by Grant Morrison or THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS by Frank Miller?

If not, which WW tales are the best contenders?

Also, if there is no clear single contender, then as a fun creative exercise, design her equivalent story yourself!

You pick the premise, format (graphic novel, miniseries, main title run, etc), creative team, and set it for release during Diana's 80th anniversary in 2021.

I'll be back with my own pitch in a bit. Can't wait to see what you can come up with!

Mighty Member

Post Deleted
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 03-24-2019 at 02:43 AM.

The answer is “no” she doesn’t have anything like the stories you listed. She has the Perez run which is considered a “classic” run, but Diana does not have any standalone stories like the two you just listed, where it’s a critically acclaimed, widely read standalone story that you can recommend to any newbie who wants to get into WW. I guess there’s the Hiketeia but that’s not really well-known I’d argue even if I think it’s good. Rucka is apparently working on a Black Label book called Diana’s Daughter which is basically his second attempt at giving her such a story.
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-23-2019 at 02:48 PM.

The Legend of Wonder Woman is probably the closest to it. Or Gods and Monsters.

The Hiketeia is probably it with Challenge of the Gods or Eyes of the Gorgon coming right behind it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    The Hiketeia is probably it with Challenge of the Gods or Eyes of the Gorgon coming right behind it.
    I would suggest A League of One by Christopher Moeller, though it's billed as a Justice League story.

But I agree with others that there isn't yet a story that has captured the essence of Wonder Woman in the same way as All-Star Superman or The Dark Knight Returns.

Personally, I would love to read a Wonder Woman/Diana story set in Busiek's "Superman: Secret Identity"-style series. I'd set it immediately after Wonder Woman's debut to the outside world.

Over twelves issues, I'd have her exploring the outside world to better understand it, her place in it, the complexities and ultimately making a decision as to where she will be located and what she aims to accomplish. Over the course of her travels, I'd have her encounter Etta Candy, a senior from Holliday University on a Habitat for Humanity/Peace Corp program--right before Etta is set to graduate and join the military.

I'd move Diana away from the messiah/missionary tone of recent iterations to a "how can I help" stance, which is heavily influenced by what she has seen and experience on her exploration of the outside world.

I think there could be so many ideas and themes to explore about a young person leaving her family for the first time to explore the world and figure out her place in it.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    The Legend of Wonder Woman is probably the closest to it. Or Gods and Monsters.
    Yup, otherwise nothing even comes close which is both surprising and sad.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."