Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Well to be fair, no one’s love interests besides Tony and Steve’s have appeared outside of their solo movies. Ironically in this case, both Thor and Bruce’s have heroic identities these days.
    True--but she was also absent from the 3rd THOR movie. And her colleague, Dr. Selvig, has managed to branch out into other movies and appear more than she has. MCU Jane just never really took off, although she had a few good moments along the way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    No, no, no. You and I don't understand the enormous talent of Aaron.

He is a writing genius beyond reproach, the Shakespeare of modern comics. This opinion we share is only because of our lack of education, or possibly we are just misogynists.

At least that's what certain persons keep telling me
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL so true, we simply lack deep understanding of Aaron's psychological writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    True--but she was also absent from the 3rd THOR movie. And her colleague, Dr. Selvig, has managed to branch out into other movies and appear more than she has. MCU Jane just never really took off, although she had a few good moments along the way.
    The reason is that she had no inclination to be in the movies. If you don’t put high profile actors on contracts they will obviously get other jobs. Portman is one of those actors that has a varied and critically acclaimed career. She doesn’t need the work. Putting her on a contract might be worth it if they wanted to develop her character more.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-22-2019 at 04:15 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

**SIGH***

Jane Foster

Pass
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    This may be a shock, but the most reliable data on the sales performance of a comic book is how long the publisher continues to make the comic book.
    Not true cause Squirrel Girl along with Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur are printed at a loss in order to do trades for Scholastic Books. Apparently they sell gangbusters there.
    Those may be outliers but I'm wondering if there may be other examples of titles they keep in print for alternate reasons we don't know.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    The reason is that she had no inclination to be in the movies. If you don’t put high profile actors on contracts they will obviously get other jobs. Portman is one of those actors that has a varied and critically acclaimed career. She doesn’t need the work. Putting her on a contract might be worth it if they wanted to develop her character more.
    I thought she had one more movie in her contract, just like Hugo Weaving had more, but they didn't feel the need to bring her back?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Not true cause Squirrel Girl along with Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur are printed at a loss in order to do trades for Scholastic Books. Apparently they sell gangbusters there.
    Those may be outliers but I'm wondering if there may be other examples of titles they keep in print for alternate reasons we don't know.
    Two points. One you are not contradicting the post you are replying to. The fact it is still going proves that other sales maintain its presence. Two, if a book makes 50-60% of its sales digitally, as has been rumoured for over three years and consistently mentioned in interviews, then it doesn’t need Scholastic. We know there was a basic Scholastic deal, and it did boost sales with a few multi issue books, but as far as I can tell Scholastic just sell a small selection of books presently. Certainly not the entire trade catalogue for these characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    If that's the case, why the heck haven't they been converted into Marvel Digital Originals?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

If it IS Brunnhilde, then we can assume Asgardians of the Galaxy is cancelled.
    This.

I remember people saying Asgaurdians was intended as a limited run from the begining with a "we'll see" about converting it to an ongoing. It wouldnt suprise me in the slightest if they clean it up after the War of the Realms is up. It would be very utilitarian of Angela anyway, so it's an easy story to write. Besides, you could argue that the whole book is an expermient with thier lesser known IP to see what books could be launched (I was expecting an ANgela return honestly, but with recent focus Valkyrie makes sense).

I liked Aaron's writng of Jane/Thor. I've _loved_ the work Ewing is doing on Immortal Hulk. I think someone like Ewing will make sure history is respected, whereas Aaron has a nack for the epic tale. The two together could make a very strong book. Ill be keeping an eye out.

Astonishing Member

Given the fact Al Ewing is attached to this, it makes me wonder if he is the "heir apparent" for when Aaron wraps up his Thor run (which seems to be sooner rather than later.)

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Given the fact Al Ewing is attached to this, it makes me wonder if he is the "heir apparent" for when Aaron wraps up his Thor run (which seems to be sooner rather than later.)
    Aaron's arc after the event will be his last according to solicits.
    Ewing is a possibility, but I imagine Marvel will want to announce the new writer with a bang.
    Thor has become the new Daredevil when it comes to high profile writers following one another on hugely acclaimed runs (JMS-Fraction-Gillen-Aaron).

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Aaron's arc after the event will be his last according to solicits.
    Ewing is a possibility, but I imagine Marvel will want to announce the new writer with a bang.
    Thor has become the new Daredevil when it comes to high profile writers following one another on hugely acclaimed runs (JMS-Fraction-Gillen-Aaron).
    Absolutely. And right from the start of that run the plans for the movie franchise were in place, so that will inevitably attract talent. Matching the right writer to this property will not necessarily be straightforward. Personally I doubt Ewing would be the natural choice but his star is rising. He wouldn’t be my first choice for purely taste reasons, he has yet to totally win me over, not even with his Hulk work.

Astonishing Member

I just figured that he might be a possibility. His Hulk run, regardless of whether you like it or not, has received a great deal of critical acclaim. It has also been flying off the shelves. So editorial might be more inclined to take a chance on him. A kind of "strike while the iron is hot." Having him as co-writer here might amount to nothing more than helping ease the workload on Aaron.

However, it might be a case of getting him on the same page and ease the inevitable transition. Because, while Aaron may be close to wrapping up on Thor, I doubt he will step away altogether. I think he'll continue with this book as he seems to favour Jane. War Of The Realms shows her story is far from over. In fact, it has entered an entirely new phase. Whereas his entire Thor run has basically lead to WotR.

Just my two cents. Because there isn't really a clear candidate working at Marvel in my opinion with the chops to take Thor on. Duggan has been doing well on SSoC, so it could also be him. But, yeah, it is very tricky to pinpoint at present.

Amazing Member

as many others have expressed, Jane becoming a Valkyrie would be perfectly fine, and actually makes more sense than being Thor, but WHY WHY WHY did aaron just throw Brunnhilde under the bus with an absolute spoilers:
    random, cheap and garbage death just to create hype for the new valk story
    end of spoilers? Brunnhilde deserves a million times more than this (not to mention the rest of the Valkyrie just being discarded as well) and you can EASILY have Jane become Valk and keep Brunnhilde around >:

Jane's valk design is great and her new weapon looks interesting... but I literally just cannot handle how hard aaron has pushed jane into the thor mythos especially at the expense of other characters.... not to mention how she just casually got the All-Mother mantle cause of her "wisdom" while Sif is just standing RIGHT THERE, obviously 30-something year old woman > legendary asgardian warrior right aaron -_- at this rate, i'm half expecting jane to get the odinforce sometime soon...
    Last edited by voidox; 04-27-2019 at 05:28 AM.

The reality is these are just characters. Brun is not a superstar. Most people that buy comics today have probably not read her Defenders run. I never have. I am not interested. I read the Fearless Defenders run and she wasn’t the most interesting part of that story. Not saying she shouldn’t be a character but she just isn’t an important one IMO. She will be in this book, which is more than she has been for most of Marvel history. I find it hard to believe there are thousands of Brun fans desperate for a solo book. This isn’t harsh, this is just the economic truth.