Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

So, i’m Wondering what this is going to mean for ‘asgardians of the galaxy’?

I think thy are done, even without losing Brunnhilde. Heimdall confiscated the bifrost shard that powered their ship last issue, so....

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I knew it .

I dunno how to feel about this. Maybe I should be glad they're not trying to make her Thor again so we have two Thor's and OG!Thor has to deal with being Thor again with Jane Foster as Thor, although I don't think a Jane Foster Valkyrie book is going to be as popular as she was during her Thor tenure.
    While I did assume initially that this would be where Thor became worthy again, looks like that isn't going to happen, Thor is going to be an advisor of sorts too, to Loki, who is the one who ends up with Mjolnir. I suspect Mjolnir just figures he needs it more, since he's in a rather dire situation, and presumably comes to an epiphany that makes him worthy enough if you squint. But presumably Loki's going by his own name, and Thor's just lacking the hammer, and finally getting it pounded into his skull that he can be the god of thunder without Mjolnir, that he doesn't need it to be a really great god/hero. I mean, i guess he might become worthy again during the event.... but doesn't keep the hammer if he does. (though i think he will get it back before too long)

Honestly it doesn't feel as striking or as powerful as her Thor design, but I guess it would be hard to top it.

Dautermann's depiction looked really good though.
    I think it looks nice. hints of her time as Thor, but color scheme of the valkyries. It always amuses me how Asgardian magic disguises usually come with insane amounts of hair coming out form a funny hat though, since no way is she going from very short hair to THAT without the aid of magic. They do love their silly hats.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Are they going to pull some kind of "The Last of Valkyries" arc?
    I mean, it wasn't an arc, but they kinda did that today.... though Brunnhilde gets one last hurrah in Asgardians of the Galaxy based on solicits, presumably set before this issue, and it may separate out Annabelle in the process.
    Last edited by Raye; 04-17-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post

While I did assume initially that this would be where Thor became worthy again, looks like that isn't going to happen, Thor is going to be an advisor of sorts too, to Loki, who is the one who ends up with Mjolnir. I suspect Mjolnir just figures he needs it more, since he's in a rather dire situation, and presumably comes to an epiphany that makes him worthy enough if you squint. But presumably Loki's going by his own name, and Thor's just lacking the hammer, and finally getting it pounded into his skull that he can be the god of thunder without Mjolnir, that he doesn't need it to be a really great god/hero. (though i think he will get it back before too long)
    You're assuming an awful lot based on nothing but a cover and a vague solicitation.

While I did assume initially that this would be where Thor became worthy again, looks like that isn't going to happen, Thor is going to be an advisor of sorts too, to Loki, who is the one who ends up with Mjolnir. I suspect Mjolnir just figures he needs it more, since he's in a rather dire situation, and presumably comes to an epiphany that makes him worthy enough if you squint. But presumably Loki's going by his own name, and Thor's just lacking the hammer, and finally getting it pounded into his skull that he can be the god of thunder without Mjolnir, that he doesn't need it to be a really great god/hero. I mean, i guess he might become worthy again during the event.... but doesn't keep the hammer if he does. (though i think he will get it back before too long)
    I didn't think the cover for the Loki book was that literal (I hope it isn't).
    I think it looks nice. hints of her time as Thor, but color scheme of the valkyries. It always amuses me how Asgardian magic disguises usually come with insane amounts of hair coming out form a funny hat though, since no way is she going from very short hair to THAT without the aid of magic. They do love their silly hats.
    I guess the base design matches her Thor look but it's only really noticeable if you really try and look for it.

Poor Thor still hasn't gotten his hair back .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I didn't think the cover for the Loki book was that literal (I hope it isn't).

I guess the base design matches her Thor look but it's only really noticeable if you really try and look for it.

Poor Thor still hasn't gotten his hair back .
    I dunno, the engraving on her helmet is very distinctive, as are the wings. i mean a lot of Asgardians use a wing motif on their helmet, sure, but it is most strongly associated with Thor, and those are the same shape she had on her Thor helmet. The butt-cape is also a callback to her Thor costume, as well as the armor on her arm.

It's not just based on the solicit and cover, there's also some tweets from the series writer. and Thor 12 made a pretty good case as well, today, it would be a fitting culmination to the face turn he's been doing for the past several years (even if he did play the part of villain to try and accomplish some things, so it sometimes didn't look like he was doing a face turn, and made some questionable choices) to decide not to give up fighting his fate, sometime very soon presumably, and in the process become worthy. And with Thor's development in the same time, where he has to learn he doesn't need the hammer to be a good hero, that he's got too much invested in what a hammer thinks of his worthiness, that no one will doubt his inherent goodness if he doesn't have the hammer, because he proves that every day with his actions, whereas Loki actually kinda needs that right now due to his past and reputation for deception. I' think I'm right about this. I know some people will hate it. don't care, it will be fun.
    Last edited by Raye; 04-17-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    It's been confirmed as Jane Foster:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...inkId=66249413

yeah, I think this is the end of my journey for Thor's mythos.

she became Thor, the All Mother and Valkyrie.... 3 highest honors in Asgard.

I'm withdrawing from Thor's mythos.
    Last edited by GodThor; 04-17-2019 at 07:44 PM.

The thing with Valkyries is that they are a group. So Brunhilde can come back and they can regrow the Valkyries without Jane having to give up the mantle.

It puts her in a better position than when she was Thor because unlike with Odinson, if/when the original comes back she can still be a Valkyrie.

Spoiler for War of the Realms #2:

spoilers:
    It's just a shame that Brunhilde had to die for this to happen. She could have easily survived and Jane still be a Valkyrie
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Crimz; 04-17-2019 at 07:33 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I dunno, the engraving on her helmet is very distinctive, as are the wings. i mean a lot of Asgardians use a wing motif on their helmet, sure, but it is most strongly associated with Thor, and those are the same shape she had on her Thor helmet. The butt-cape is also a callback to her Thor costume, as well as the armor on her arm.
    It just doesn't feel as noticeable to me as it is with her Thor look.
    It's not just based on the solicit and cover, there's also some tweets from the series writer. and Thor 12 made a pretty good case as well, today, it would be a fitting culmination to the face turn he's been doing for the past several years (even if he did play the part of villain to try and accomplish some things, so it sometimes didn't look like he was doing a face turn, and made some questionable choices) to decide not to give up fighting his fate, sometime very soon presumably, and in the process become worthy. And with Thor's development in the same time, where he has to learn he doesn't need the hammer to be a good hero, that he's got too much invested in what a hammer thinks of his worthiness, that no one will doubt his inherent goodness if he doesn't have the hammer, because he proves that every day with his actions, whereas Loki actually kinda needs that right now due to his past and reputation for deception. I' think I'm right about this. I know some people will hate it. don't care, it will be fun.
    I dunno. Looking at Thor now he acts like someone who is in desperate need of a stupid hammer with arbitrary pre-requisites for Worthiness.

Having Loki be able to wield it would probably just make him feel worse about himself then he already does. I'm not even sure if Thor, as Aaron is writing him, really can be all that effective without the hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The thing with Valkyries is that they are a group. So Brunhilde can come back and they can regrow the Valkyries without Jane having to give up the mantle.

It puts her in a better position than when she was Thor because unlike with Odinson, if/when the original comes back she can still be a Valkyrie.

Spoiler for War of the Realms #2:

spoilers:
    It's just a shame that Brunhilde had to die for this to happen. She could have easily survived and Jane still be a Valkyrie
    end of spoilers
    It's not Jane Foster if she's not the be all, end all, of whatever identity she is in .

I am sorry Brunhilde has to die, but I am glad that Jane Foster is back. I really enjoyed her Thor run and I have high hopes that her becoming a Valkyrie will be pretty interesting.

This is kind of a shock. I knew Jane was gonna come back as a hero at some point. Her final issue very blatantly foreshadowed that. But Valkyrie is a swerve I was not expecting. I thought they were just gonna make her the new Thunderstrike or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    This is kind of a shock. I knew Jane was gonna come back as a hero at some point. Her final issue very blatantly foreshadowed that. But Valkyrie is a swerve I was not expecting. I thought they were just gonna make her the new Thunderstrike or something.
    That's what the cartoons did. And then she was never used again .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Maybe Ewing will actually give her some character flaws.
    I hope so because being a cancer patient doesn't make a character good. Jason Aaron must have a massive crush on Jane because it's barely been a year since he used her as a hero under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    I hope so because being a cancer patient doesn't make a character good. Jason Aaron must have a massive crush on Jane because it's barely been a year since he used her as a hero under a different name.
    OR her run as Thor did good numbers and Marvel wanted continue using the character

I think Jane should have become one of the Valkyrie from very the beginning rather than a Thor stand-in, so she could find her own heroic voice without the burden of being "Thor". This is a course correction I can get behind.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    OR her run as Thor did good numbers and Marvel wanted continue using the character
    Which I guess will answer the question of how much Jane Foster, individually, can lend herself to a successful title without the Thor name....

(Although with Aaron's name attached to this, it has a better chance then most).