Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Hmmm...Ewing? Good luck with that.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is experment worth the effort. If she is successful they have new franchise/IP. They aren't afraid to throw darts at the board I mean they are doing the same thing with Superior Spiderman
    I mean, with how successful her Thor tenure was, I don't blame them, I'm just not sure if a Valkyrie book with her in it will have the same impact.

But we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Just popping in to say that Digifiend was right all along. I am very surprised, and I guess we will get more context through the rest of this event. Seems to me that Brunnhilde will still be in this event. Indeed we kind of know she will be from teasers, so it’s not like she has been axed. She will almost certainly end up in Valhalla by the end of this story, where she will probably act as chief advisor and confidant to Jane.
    Still seems like a downgrade for Brunnhilde.
    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Bunn will probably have Annabelle separated from Brunnhilde after her death. I kind of want both of them to be part of Jane's supporting cast (Brun as her advisor on all thinks Valkyrior and Annabelle as Jane's human confident and mythology expert). It would be a shame to lose two LGBTQ characters at the same time.
    With Ewing involved, I wouldn't be surprised if he does acknowledge the other Valkyries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    What do you think of the logo? Marvel Editor Wil Moss says it's his "favorite new logo of the year".

https://twitter.com/Wil_Moss/status/1118867395811119104
    It looks cool .

I do like the artwork on the cover, very nice.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Which I guess will answer the question of how much Jane Foster, individually, can lend herself to a successful title without the Thor name....

(Although with Aaron's name attached to this, it has a better chance then most).
    I think it was the gimmick and name. It was in the news everywhere as "female Thor" and there was a mystery behind it. If they gave Cyborg a Green Lantern ring tomorrow and put him as GL: it would outsell any Cyborg book. But I could be wrong because this is an untried character. If this book reaches 20 issues then maybe lightning has struck.

I don't get why they didn't give Jane her own identity rather than taking someone else's again. I mean, at this point "Jane Foster" alone should be enough to get attention. Recycling super-hero identities means someone else takes a hit.

Anyway, the art is very nice.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I do like the artwork on the cover, very nice.
    Agreed, although the concept of Valkyrie having wings instead of winged steeds will take some getting used to. Fun to draw either way.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Agreed, although the concept of Valkyrie having wings instead of winged steeds will take some getting used to. Fun to draw either way.
    Why she looks like Hawkgirl from DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I don't get why they didn't give Jane her own identity rather than taking someone else's again. I mean, at this point "Jane Foster" alone should be enough to get attention. Recycling super-hero identities means someone else takes a hit.
    I think it's because they probably realize "Jane Foster" isn't going to do as well sales-wise or branding wise that a more marketable name will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Why she looks like Hawkgirl from DC?
    Oh man, she even has a mace-like weapon. I can't unsee this now .

(Does this make Thor Hawkman? Oh man...)

The weapon can be anything she wants. She could make it into Mjolnir's shape if she wanted.

We know Jane will become Valkyrie during the event, as she's on the cover of WOTR Omega.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I am all in for this. I love Brunnhilde, but I also love Jane and this feels like a beautiful evolution for her.
    The armor is really growing on me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post

Anyway, the art is very nice.
    Really wasn't what I expected. I was really stoked as I thought I'd get to see Brunnhilde star in her own series. I'm not a fan of Jane so I'll respectfully watch this one from the sidelines.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Bunn will probably have Annabelle separated from Brunnhilde after her death. I kind of want both of them to be part of Jane's supporting cast (Brun as her advisor on all thinks Valkyrior and Annabelle as Jane's human confident and mythology expert). It would be a shame to lose two LGBTQ characters at the same time.
    Yeah, I’d be pissed if that happened.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    I think it was the gimmick and name. It was in the news everywhere as "female Thor" and there was a mystery behind it. If they gave Cyborg a Green Lantern ring tomorrow and put him as GL: it would outsell any Cyborg book. But I could be wrong because this is an untried character. If this book reaches 20 issues then maybe lightning has struck.
    Agreed.

The sad fact is MARVEL has a woeful history with female led titles for the last 15 years. Jane’s run as Thor is maybe the longest a woman has lead a book in recent history, apart from Ms Marvel maybe?

Most of their other female titles - A-Force, Fearless Defenders, She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, and all the Captain Marvel relaunches - are lucky if they make it past a dozen issues.
    Last edited by brettc1; 04-18-2019 at 05:41 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

I'm actually looking forward to this. I enjoy Al Ewing's writing and he seems to really get characters and does some great development. I think with him being the lead writer, he'll create some really great stories. And I'm okay with Jane being Valkyrie. Yeah, sucks that Brunnhilde had to be killed as there are/were many who held that title, but I get it from the stand point of setting her apart. This might actually take and work very well. And hey, Thor, Loki and Valkyrie series running at the same time, there can be some great Asgard tales being crafted!
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Personally, while I don't mind the concept per say, I find that I'd enjoy it a lot more if it wasn't yet another time of a character getting thrown under the bus for Jane Foster to claim their position. This is now twice in a row that it's happened. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth, especially when it wasn't even necessary to kill off Brunnhilde for this to happen given that given that Valkyrie is a title and thus there can be more than one. This just feels like a waste of a perfectly good character, killed off just to hype up the stakes of an event.