Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

I'm never going to get my story of Brunhilde, Sif and Angela forming their own A-team the and just doing badass stuff across the 10 Realms and outer galaxies

Oh well, I can always pretend that Thors granddaughters are reincarnations of them.

A Valkyrie book with Jane as the main character, and others like Brunhilde and Dani Moonstar as support characters would have been awesome.

You don't have to tear something down to build up Jane. It's my problem with Aaron's writing, he didn't have to make Thor a complete joke so Jane Thor could look good.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Agreed.

The sad fact is MARVEL has a woeful history with female led titles for the last 15 years. Jane’s run as Thor is maybe the longest a woman has lead a book in recent history, apart from Ms Marvel maybe?

Most of their other female titles - A-Force, Fearless Defenders, She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, and all the Captain Marvel relaunches - are lucky if they make it past a dozen issues.
    Marvel does have trouble keeping female-led titles above water. They can relaunch Captain Marvel every year and it still won't fly like Wonder Woman -- the market just isn't there. I don't believe it has anything to do with characters being bad, but I really don't blame the market themselves for just buying product they're familiar with, because it would be like selling a veggie burger and no one buys it because they like getting their Big Macs and Whoppers.

A perfect storm with the right factors just has to happen. I think G. Willow Wilson's explanation on why Ms. Marvel is a successful is very accurate why her book works.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    Marvel does have trouble keeping female-led titles above water. They can relaunch Captain Marvel every year and it still won't fly like Wonder Woman -- the market just isn't there. I don't believe it has anything to do with characters being bad, but I really don't blame the market themselves for just buying product they're familiar with, because it would be like selling a veggie burger and no one buys it because they like getting their Big Macs and Whoppers.

A perfect storm with the right factors just has to happen. I think G. Willow Wilson's explanation on why Ms. Marvel is a successful is very accurate why her book works.
    what about books like Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur, they still are there since 4-5 years ago without a relaunch?

The market likes Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel has never been cancelled. Captain Marvel is the longest-running female Marvel flagship of this decade. Followed by the likes of Moon Girl, Ms. Marvel, Ghost Spider, Squirrel Girl, and Jane.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Wrong, I'm afraid. Captain Marvel was cancelled at the start of 2018, due to the Infinity Countdown event. Though when her book returned later in the year, it initially had the same writer.

And of course, it had several relaunches before that.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-19-2019 at 01:46 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Life of Captain Marvel was already in development when the book ended because comics take like 4 months to put together. And yes, it relaunches, but the point is that we never look at all the Iron Man and Cap relaunches and say "Gee, these books sure have trouble staying afloat!" When books are cancelled, they don't immediately begin development on the next thing. That's not what a cancellation actually is.

Captain Marvel is the longest running female Marvel book of the decade.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Charlie said "without a relaunch" though, so that's kind of a moot point. If I'm not mistaken, ignoring the unwarranted Secret Wars renumbering (they shouldn't have done a new #1 for books that didn't change creative team), it actually makes Ms. Marvel the longest running female-led title (for now - Squirrel Girl will overtake it in six months), as G Willow Wilson did 57 issues before it was recently handed over to a new writer. Moon Girl will be on 42 next week, Spider-Gwen by Latour was 40 issues, and Squirrel Girl is on 51. The longest Captain Marvel run was Kelly Sue DeConnick's, but she only did 32 issues.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    What do you think of the logo? Marvel Editor Wil Moss says it's his "favorite new logo of the year".

https://twitter.com/Wil_Moss/status/1118867395811119104
    I am not feeling this heavy metal inspired logo thing. I don’t think it is necessarily reflected in the books. I imagine that if this book goes beyond 12 issues it might get a rebranding of some kind. It seems unlikely that a Valkyrie book can last too long though, but I have been wrong before about things like that. I thought Spider-Gwen would be a footnote by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Charlie said "without a relaunch" though, so that's kind of a moot point. If I'm not mistaken, ignoring the unwarranted Secret Wars renumbering (they shouldn't have done a new #1 for books that didn't change creative team), it actually makes Ms. Marvel the longest running female-led title (for now - Squirrel Girl will overtake it in six months), as G Willow Wilson did 57 issues before it was recently handed over to a new writer. Moon Girl will be on 42 next week, Spider-Gwen by Latour was 40 issues, and Squirrel Girl is on 51. The longest Captain Marvel run was Kelly Sue DeConnick's, but she only did 32 issues.
    So effectively in the modern era of short runs, female characters are probably doing better than most male characters.

407B3A14-BD1E-44C3-B274-0868DED0CEF9.jpg

Jane Foster Valkyrie design by Russell Dauterman.

I like how every Asgardian design Dauterman creates is both unique and yet clearly within a cultural look that he has created. Excuse the limited size, that always happens when I use a tablet for images. I must dig into the settings sometime.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-19-2019 at 06:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Life of Captain Marvel was already in development when the book ended because comics take like 4 months to put together. And yes, it relaunches, but the point is that we never look at all the Iron Man and Cap relaunches and say "Gee, these books sure have trouble staying afloat!" When books are cancelled, they don't immediately begin development on the next thing. That's not what a cancellation actually is.

Captain Marvel is the longest running female Marvel book of the decade.
    As far as I can tell, there are months at a time in 3018 where Captain Marvel Carol Danvers didn’t have a book on the shelves.

Her title fades in snow out so often she could just as easily be The Invidible Woman.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    what about books like Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur, they still are there since 4-5 years ago without a relaunch?
    Pretty sure they have some kind of Scholastic deal going that apparently makes up for their low sales. That makes these a bit of unreliable bits of data for how well the market handles the female led titles.

hmm.. so her weapon can morph as needed. I guess this is an interesting way to give her a semi green lantern weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Pretty sure they have some kind of Scholastic deal going that apparently makes up for their low sales. That makes these a bit of unreliable bits of data for how well the market handles the female led titles.
    What a strange way to spin the truth, which is that because of their deal with Scholastic (which is not as big as some seem to think) and because of their success on the digital platforms, (which is bigger than many people think because they sell disproportionately higher than most titles on those platforms), they are successfully maintaining their presence in the direct market. How that can be a negative thing is beyond me.