Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

You know they are not forbidden from appearing in Thor's book while the solos are going, right? It's not as though Thor's solo prevents him from appearing in the Avengers. If you're not interested, don't read them, it's not like you're obligated to buy every Asgardian's book, no need to spoil the fun for the people who are interested.

It can go too far. Because when there was a Thunderbolt Ross book it was when there were like a million Hulks and the line was a mess. X-Books love their quantity over quality, 'tis true. But recent Thor spinoffs have kept it pretty tame and there are just so many Thor-exclusive ideas and concepts that it can hold more stories than the average X-Spinoff. So the slippery slope exists, but Wil Moss' office is unlikely to actually slip. 2-3 is fine.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Yeah, you can end up with pointless stuff. But I think the characters they chose are ones well suited for solos right now. (and not just cu I am a Loki fan.) I think there are so many cool characters in Asgard right now, that they can easily support a few extra books. And yeah, Wil Moss has earned my trust, he's a good editor. Not all the ones they try will land, sure, same as with any new book, but it's still worth a try.

There are just too many Asgardian characters to have them all appear on a regular basis in Thor. Why have these characters just appear once in a while for an issue or an arc here and there, rather than have that PLUS a solo to show what they are up to when they're not fulfilling their usual supporting character role over in Thor? Because occasional appearances in Thor is what would end up happening either way. Sooner or later one of the other supporting characters will get the co-star spot for their chance in the spotlight (which is fine, that's just how it works with a large supporting cast) and the other characters will fall back and won't appear for months at a time, or maybe get a few panels here and there if they're lucky. The Asgard side of things has gotten large enough over the years that it's just not possible to have them all appear all the time in just one book, so it's not like the solos are really taking away from Thor's book, especially if they still pop up there from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    It's not that I feel threatened it's that it's too many books to follow. Sometimes it's better to keep it simple. That's what Stan Lee Walt Simonsson, and up until 2014, Jason Aaron did. You can write good supporting characters without them feeling short-shifted in the Thor title. Look at the X-books, what a mess. Jane Foster has been a key character and love interest in Thor since 1962 as have the Asgardians which includes Loki, and I'd like to see how those relationships and dynamic changes within Thor. Now, to find out what they're up to, I have to put down Thor and read those titles, instead of reading them in his own book. Just to compare, you don't see a Thunderbolt Ross book on the shelves, and Marvel dropped the MJ/Peter Parker relationship.
    So....you either can't afford to buy more than one Asgard-related book...or you're too cheap to buy more than one Asgard-related book? Is that what you're saying? You do realize that you are not under any obligation to buy any book you don't want to, don't you? Nobody, not at Marvel or your local comic book shop (or wherever you get comics) is actually holding a gun to your head and saying "Buy all of these books or else."

I'm a little concerned, though, by your apparent belief that supporting characters getting their own books and stories, and thus graduating from supporting characters to leading characters in their own right, only means that their stories and book are just going to be about their "relationships and dynamic changes" in relation to Thor. No, it means that they're going to be the main characters of their own stories, stories that may have little or nothing to do with Thor at all. That doesn't mean they no longer have any relationship to Thor at all anymore, and it doesn't mean that they won't be interacting with Thor anymore, either. They may continue to make appearances in Thor's book (though, possibly not as frequently as before), and Thor might even make guest appearances in their books. Hell, they might even borrow a trick from the Avengers, X-Men, and Spider-Man families of books (and that's just the three most obvious examples at Marvel) and have a crossover storyline amongst all the Asgard-centric books.

But the main point of these erstwhile supporting characters getting to be leading characters in their own books is to expand on the stories that can be told about them...and that usually means stories that have little, or nothing, to do with Thor. If those kinds of stories don't interest you, then don't read them. If they do, then you may just have to bite the bullet and eventually buy them and read them. Up to you if you want to read them as soon as they're published, or when they're collected in a trade, or if they end up in the 25-cent-an-issue box. Marvel wouldn't be doing this if they didn't think there was at least a chance that there'd be an audience receptive to these characters in their own books. Maybe they're wrong, maybe they're right. But honestly, it's kind of selfish and petty to whine about how inconvenient it is to you that these characters aren't just being forced to stay in one book, in service only to Thor's story, when Marvel (and fans) seem to think they could possibly be doing more.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    and with Asgardians of the Galaxy, a new Jane Foster Valkyrie series and even a Loki solo series after War of the Realms? Man, why can't they just have the Asgardians as strong supporting characters in the main Thor title? What's next? An Odin/Sif teamup series? An Odin solo series? Now I know why Jason Aaron is leaving the Thor book, because he wants to write Jane.
    And here I was thinking that people were going to be more upset about Jane taking over Brunnhilde's spot as THE Valkyrie for the Marvel Universe.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    And here I was thinking that people were going to be more upset about Jane taking over Brunnhilde's spot as THE Valkyrie for the Marvel Universe.
    oh but they are.

it's just that people don't care about Thor's lore anymore so it's useless to debate.

however, it's nice to make fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Actually, he's just co-writing the Valkyrie book, and if it's anything like the last time he and Ewing co-wrote a book, he's probably just plotting it out while Ewing scripts it, and he may end up handing it over to Ewing after the first arc or so.
    Yeah, it's probably the same arrangement as on Iron Man. Slott was struggling with deadlines for that and F4, so now he'll be plotting Iron Man and Jim Zub does the actual script. It means Slott has more time for F4 and both books won't be delayed any more. Aaron's still on Thor (for now) and Avengers, which is probably why he got Ewing in for the Valkyrie book.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by voidox View Post
    ALL the valkyries, were spoilers:
    killed off-panel
    end of spoilers... Brunnhilde got her spoilers:
    death shown but it was an absolute random and cheap death
    end of spoilers that was done for no reason but to try and hype Jane as new Valk.
    All except one. Dani Moonstarspoilers:
    survived. As revealed in WOTR Uncanny X-Men #1, Dani got the summons, came to New York - using Magik's teleportation! - only to find the other Valkyries were already dead.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So long as it's not the MCU version i am all for Jane being the new Valkyrie, i am would rather see her wield a hammer instead of a sword but i will give this book a shot.

Mighty Member

No you misinterpreted my post, it's not about being cheap, I have plenty of money, it's about having a streamlined reading experience. Valkyrie and the Asgardians have been a part of Thor's lore and mythology since he was introduced in 1962. If you want to make expanded stories with that, why not include them in the Thor annuals? You bring up an interesting point, they make make appearances in Thor's book or he may guest star in their book, but not as frequently as before. So, you do lose some relationship development by not putting them in Thor's book. Because instead of getting these characters every month in Thor, you may not see them because they have their own book. So fans of the Thor/Jane romance lose that thread of "will they or won't they get back together?" because she's off playing hero. Sometimes there can be too many cooks in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by voidox View Post
    as many others have expressed, Jane becoming a Valkyrie would be perfectly fine, and actually makes more sense than being Thor, but WHY WHY WHY did aaron just throw Brunnhilde under the bus with an absolute spoilers:
    random, cheap and garbage death just to create hype for the new valk story
    end of spoilers? Brunnhilde deserves a million times more than this (not to mention the rest of the Valkyrie just being discarded as well) and you can EASILY have Jane become Valk and keep Brunnhilde around >:

Jane's valk design is great and her new weapon looks interesting... but I literally just cannot handle how hard aaron has pushed jane into the thor mythos especially at the expense of other characters.... not to mention how she just casually got the All-Mother mantle cause of her "wisdom" while Sif is just standing RIGHT THERE, obviously 30-something year old woman > legendary asgardian warrior right aaron -_- at this rate, i'm half expecting jane to get the odinforce sometime soon...
    Oh Jesus. No one cares about Brunnhilde or Sif lmao.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    All except one. Dani Moonstarspoilers:
    survived. As revealed in WOTR Uncanny X-Men #1, Dani got the summons, came to New York - using Magik's teleportation! - only to find the other Valkyries were already dead.
    end of spoilers
    oh, i see... haven't read that tie-in book.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Oh Jesus. No one cares about Brunnhilde or Sif lmao.
    lol, you may not, other people do

and that's besides the point, you may not care about Sif or Brunn, doesn't mean ignoring them in the event or in story points that they should (and make huge sense) be in. No one is saying that they should be the main characters, we're complaining how aaron is yet again ignoring everyone cept Jane.

He has once again chosen to ignore established characters in favour of continuing to force and push his love Jane as the main character in the entire Thor mythos (as he's done since he started writing her).... cause of course the 30-something year old doctor is the perfect choice for taking over the all-mother handle to lead the troops in the active war-zone, not the legendary asgardian warrior standing literally right there. And we've already pointed out how dumb the whole Valkyrie thing was handled :/
    Last edited by voidox; 04-28-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    she will become TOAA at this point.
    lol, at this point in the thor mythos and compared to every other asgardian, she basically is the asgardian TOAA, ty aaron~

Extraordinary Member

Well, I don't like the way they do it.
    I mean Valkyrie is not even an exclusive title and they still have to murder them all to let Jane be the one and only Valkyrie.
    Jeez, you already did multiple Thors. More than one Vals are suddenly too many?

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Well, I don't like the way they do it.
    I mean Valkyrie is not even an exclusive title and they still have to murder them all to let Jane be the one and only Valkyrie.
    Jeez, you already did multiple Thors. More than one Vals are suddenly too many?
    Did they though? Jane was the only Thor up until she couldn't anymore and that's when Thor took his name back because prior he was just the "Odinson" (as silly as that is).