Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Declan Shalvey's Banshee/X-Men Green Pitch

https://www.newsarama.com/44398-decl...-happened.html

"With St-Paddy's Day just past, I thought I might talk a bit about my failed BANSHEE pitch.

A while back I had an idea: I'd love to do a Banshee book. I realized it wasn't a project likely to get greenlit (no pun intended) but once the idea popped into my head, I started to wonder what that book could be. So, along with an artist who will remain anonymous, I pitched the boom to an editor at Marvel. I got a surprised ("I'll say this much Dec, no one has ever pitched me a Banshee book before") but also positive reaction to it. It bounced around a bit, and I gave it a second shot, trying to sweeten the deal with redesigned characters and to fit in the 'colour' approach they'd been using on the X-books of late (as X-MEN: GREEN). Again, the response was positive, but there were just some basic factors that worked against it. To be clear, I'm not sharing this as a slight against Marvel ("they didn't recognize my genius," etc) as it didn't work out for various reasons as they were very cool to take my pitch on board. I know they definitely gave it some thought, but it just couldn't work out.

I got the sense with Banshee not being an A-list character, a more known artist would have to be attached, so I suspect it would have gone ahead were I to agree to draw it. For me though, I just couldn't sign up to a commitment like that until INJECTION is finished."

"I won't share the whole pitch (Just in case, you never know...) but it's safe to say it's not happening, and I thought it'd be interesting to show here. This was the was the main thrust of it.

Sean Cassidy is back from the dead. Completely (and suspiciously) healed from his experience with the Death Seed, he has retired to his ancestral home of Cassidy Keep. Wanting to be left alone, but old ties keep pulling him back to the world. Sean, reunited with his daughter Theresa, decides to make his home a sanctuary for troubled mutants. A quiet place, a safe space where they can learn to deal with their powers. A place where secrets are buried, in some cases quite literally. But secrets don’t stay buried, and troubles always follow no matter how far you hide. BANSHEE is the story of a broken family, trying to become whole again.

I had this big arc planned, family drama along with introducing the main cast (Banshee/Sean, Banshee/Theresa, Chamber, Marrow, Artie and Leech), a host of new mutants and a mysterious threat. Speaking of the cast, I also redesigned the costumes to fit in with this new team dynamic..."

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

"I was pretty happy with this idea, I thought it had legs. In my mind I would write it for another artist and between arcs, I could write/draw standalone issues. I thought Sean Cassidy has so much of an interesting backstory, I could pop in here and there with interesting stories from his past, while the main artist would draw the larger, modern-day stories.

At the end of the day though, Banshee is not a major character so it was always going to be an uphill battle. Marvel were great, the feedback was very positive, but the marketability was a fair concern and it was not soething I could dedicte myself to fully. I've mentioned before I want to write and draw a project, but I can't accept a commitment like while INJECTION is still in development.

Who knows, maybe I'll be able to come back to this in some form someday..."

I guess he didn't know that the boys are in the Future Foundation. But this specific team couldn't hold an ongoing. Also it's whiter than snow.

Buy Unstoppable Wasp.

Making this topic was more enjoyable than any of Marv Wolfman's Nova.

More than anything I love that Chamber and Marrow!

Incredible Member

Okay, I knew he had made a pitch, but this is the first real detail I've seen on it. I actually think it could work, with the right creative team. I have always thought that the Cassidy family would be great to explore. Maeve also, a famous Irish Queen (Goddess) is also called Maeve, The Morrigan and the Banshee are closely connected in Irish mythology.

There are things there which should have been explored years ago, relationships with Magneto, Deadpool, Omega Red etc. This really is a major book waiting to happen.

Only from mine and Declan's points of view though.

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

This ideal cast is all types of dreadful
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

I can't feel my legs.

This is really good and creative so of course it was passed on.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

This sounds interesting, but needed a few big names X-Men in the team, otherwise I agree there's no way it would sell.

Distinctly remembering all the requests I saw for an X-Men Green book led by or including (but mainly led by) Polaris.

A skim of this suggests to me that he was mainly interested in having a Banshee comic, and the rest of it came out of trying to improve the odds by making it a team book instead of a solo.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member

No ‘suggestions’ needed, he clearly says it was a pitch for banshee comic, and that he added a team to increase its odds. I think saw some fans wishing for an a X-men green with Polaris, but this was Shavely pitch, not it the same thing.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

What i shame this was passed, it looked good

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

The cape is a bit too long on Sean's, but I really like those designs for Siryn and Banshee. Both look really good.

Fantastic Member

Yeah, I mean if JDW or Darren Shan or any of the other editors swing by and read these forums and happen to catch this, I would fucking buy this, its variants, and a copy for a friend. Please add some POC (set in glowing-white Ireland, but still)* and age Artie and Leech to look at least a few years older than they did in the mid-80s and I'm all in for this.

*Black Tom still doesnt count.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    No ‘suggestions’ needed, he clearly says it was a pitch for banshee comic, and that he added a team to increase its odds. I think saw some fans wishing for an a X-men green with Polaris, but this was Shavely pitch, not it the same thing.
    Hence why I said skim. Because I skimmed.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)