Page 165 of 212 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 3173
    Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    As someone who considers mutant metaphor to be as much about individualism as it is about tribalism, I do think the intention behind Remender's speech completely on point. But as far as execution goes, it couldn't be more wrong. He makes the comparison between the M-word as it is the N-word, but this is 100% senseless because "mutant" isn't a derogatory. It's basically "J-word" instead of a Jew, "A-word" instead of African/Asian, etc. Like, what the hell was he even thinking? And where were the editors? It is simply idiotic in this form. Too bad, because the intention behind it is welcomed.
    So, I came back to say I actually have changed my mind lol I read some more and read the speech again. I think this now. ^

I think he negated Havoc's point by drawing the comparison to the N-word. I think the idea that mutant might be a derogatory term is interesting, but the parallel between Havoc and black people is poor taste. He messed up the metaphor by calling it the m-word.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Maybe this discussion is proof there needs to be a hard reset on some topics being associated with the X-Men. Way too many people are embracing segregation in the need to feel unique while also trying to be part of large groups which means they are in fact also embracing a certain form of homogeneity. This constant back and forth struggle without actual stability is something that has plagued the X-Men for years and has been at its' worst for close to 20 years now. Instead of following trends on social media and popular culture maybe the X-Men should do its' own thing

There's also the fact that the Unity Squad was supposed to be about Avengers working with mutants to give them good PR and etc. So Havok's ~don't ask don't tell~ kind of mentality is kind of counter productive in general in that context, even without the M-Word thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Now she is St. Wanda, patroness of the Purifiers.

Thanks, Remender.
    I would love to see Magneto put her down. It's not going to happen but it would make me so happy.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people drawing MLK and Malcolm X comparisons with Magneto and Xavier. Look, the real world can't always draw into the comics and their relationship is more than just that imo.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Well, it got brought up in the Justice League vs. X-Men thread: If you put a team of Jean, Rachel, Emma, Betsy, and the Cuckoos together, there isn't a single seven person team in the Marvel universe outside cosmic beings that don't just lose to that. TP/TK have been made so overwhelming that even lesser users like Hellion or Kid Omega are top class just by existing.
    Throw in Illyana for the magic support and teleportation and you have the ultimate dream team. Jean, Rachel, Emma, Betsy, the Cuckoos, and Illyana (to bring the magic). That should be fun, I am team psionic/telepath all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    One of my biggest pet peeves is people drawing MLK and Malcolm X comparisons with Magneto and Xavier. Look, the real world can't always draw into the comics and their relationship is more than just that imo.
    It isn't a 1 to 1 comparison, but the parallels were there.

But I've never seen mutant used as a curse word. "Mutie" maybe.

I find it really odd people have a problem with the parallel of mutants being treated less than simply for being born how they were shouldn't be connected to what is happening to people of color and gay people everyday in the real world. Most oppression is done but straight white people, but then people want the straight white people to be the ones being oppressed in the comics. How can the parallel not be made about how people were and still are being treated less then in the real world because they aren't white. Talk about having your cake and eating it too. The franchise is lucky it was connected to Malcom X and Martin Luther and that's why it didn't become the phenom it became until Claremont diversified the team.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Most oppression is done but straight white people,
    Yeah, not really. In the US and Europe, sure, but if you go to China or Sudan, you wouldn't say that, or to most places with the worse cases of oppression today.

Of course, there's plenty of times when white straight people were most of the oppressed ones- Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, etc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Of course, there's plenty of times when white straight people were most of the oppressed ones- Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, etc.
    What the.....

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I find it really odd people have a problem with the parallel of mutants being treated less than simply for being born how they were shouldn't be connected to what is happening to people of color and gay people everyday in the real world. Most oppression is done but straight white people, but then people want the straight white people to be the ones being oppressed in the comics. How can the parallel not be made about how people were and still are being treated less then in the real world because they aren't white. Talk about having your cake and eating it too. The franchise is lucky it was connected to Malcom X and Martin Luther and that's why it didn't become the phenom it became until Claremont diversified the team.
    Pretty sure there have been other races who have gotten their share of abuse. Also, the reason why I don't like them constantly pushing that IS because there are other nationalites who deserve a spotlight highlighting their world. For example while the death of Wolfsbane is beyond stupid, the point was to speak about the trans community.
    Last edited by Maestro 216; 06-26-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Pretty sure there have been other races who have gotten their share of abuse. Also, the reason why I don't like them constantly pushing that IS because there are other nationalites who deserve a spotlight highlighting their world.
    completely read this wrong the first time. whoo. lol
    Last edited by jwatson; 06-26-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

...And now would be a great time for some more HOX/POX reveals

More Moira/Apocalypse smut wouldn't hurt!

Yeah, not really. In the US and Europe, sure, but if you go to China or Sudan, you wouldn't say that, or to most places with the worse cases of oppression today.

But the x-men is a product that took place in and was created in America so why would they be reflecting the hisory of China rather than U.s. where 90% of the stories take place.\
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

?
    10charact