Page 163 of 212 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 3173
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

After the Alex speech and his reaction to people criticizing it, seems to me Remender really isn't right for X-men at all.

BANNED

Remender doesn't fit super heroes or at least characters with some sort of moral compass. Give him a Brotherhood book, though, and watch him go to town.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Remembering Remender's positions in Uncanny Avengers I think he and Hickman have completely opposite positions on mutants. Remender was in favor of cultural assimilation, Hickman seems to be going for "Mutant pride"
    "We are the future, Charles, not them!"

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    After the Alex speech and his reaction to people criticizing it, seems to me Remender really isn't right for X-men at all.
    I'm in the very huge minority here, but I actually liked Alex's speech. It made sense. I don't want people to label me as a gay eastern european immigrant. I am myself. Not a member of some "community". I hated the rest of Uncanny Avengers, though.

Quote Originally Posted by tornshattered View Post
    I'm in the very huge minority here, but I actually liked Alex's speech. It made sense. I don't want people to label me as a gay eastern european immigrant. I am myself. Not a member of some "community". I hated the rest of Uncanny Avengers, though.
    The whole point of mutants though is at their best their a commnunity. Earth X, many alternate futures, Morrison run. Mutant nightclubs, mutant culture. That's like me saying My name is Joseph, but don't call me black. lol I am a black man named Joseph. You can't seperate the two without me turning my back on an entire culture or making it sound like it's less than. Imagine trump being all, I'm trump but don't call me white. It just doesn't sound right.

I mean of course literally i wouldn't want someone to be all hey black Joseph but i think you get my point. I wouldn't denounce being black or see it as bad thing.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

And the whole point of the Alex speech was avoiding profiling and supporting individualism.

Those people who Ricky told to go swim in hobo waste water kinda deserved it.
    "Cable was right!"

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tornshattered View Post
    Agreed. I see it as kind of a word trick to segment and keep people 'separate' from the whole.

In the story context, I thought Alex's speech was fine. There's also room [in fact, need] for many different ideologies on the spectrum to be shared in X-men. To differentiate the characters. Also there's much worse dialogue in these books...

Quote Originally Posted by four4elements View Post
    Agreed. I see it as kind of a word trick to segment and keep people 'separate' from the whole.

In the story context, I thought Alex's speech was fine. There's also room [in fact, need] for many different ideologies on the spectrum to be shared in X-men. To differentiate the characters. Also there's much worse dialogue in these books...
    I think it would have been more powerful coming from a rockslide or an anole, someone who can't hide their mutation. Given the history of gay people hiding out and pretending to be straight while others suffered, or Jews pretending to be german while others were rounded up, or light skinned black people pretending to be white to avoid the struggle. It's nice they had that option but coming from the All American mutant it just comes off like well no one is checking for you unless you go out there and let them know your a mutant.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    And the whole point of the Alex speech was avoiding profiling and supporting individualism.

Those people who Ricky told to go swim in hobo waste water kinda deserved it.

Or in a longer, deeper form

And, of course, it's a WASP American Male saying the words of another WASP American Male.

So Bendis and Remender have different views on the matter. Neither of them are right nor wrong.
    "Cable was right!"

it's a WASP American Male saying the words of another WASP American Male.

Exactly, there is room for Havoc to have one opinion and one experience and for Kitty to have another. I think it's awesome, and I would LOVE to hear Rockslide or Anole's take as well

The fact that there is at least one person in this thread who related to what Havoc said on some level validates the speech I think! Although let's remember, the metaphor can only go so far, this is really about being a mutant at the end of the day and we are reading into it.

So Bendis and Remender have different views on the matter. Neither of them are right nor wrong.
    But didn't you just say Bendis should go swim in hobo water?

Actually Remender is wrong in that Alex is only called a mutant because he lets the world know he is a mutant. If he wants to walk around being your typical person he has a choice. Beast, Anole, Rockslide, Pixie and other mutants who can't just walk down the street and be all "hey don't call me mutant, call me Pixie." would have been stoned. So anyway you look at it Alex showed his privilege.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Typical person.... you mean human?

I'll just write that one down as I interpreted Remender's speech as being against profiling people rather pushing privilege.

But didn't you just say Bendis should go swim in hobo water?
    lol if I answer that honestly I'll get banned.
    "Cable was right!"