Page 191 of 212 FirstFirst ... 91141181187188189190191192193194195201 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 3173

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Foxey View Post
    One thing that kind of bothers me is how they are treating it as if there was nothing revolutionary after Morrison when for me Whedon’s Astonishing was what got me into the x-men comics the first time and I think it was subtly revolutionary. Particularly in the way it was a lot of fun, showed the Xmen working as a team of flawed individuals with their own strengths and weakness, dug into dark subject matter and in particular dealt explored the main casts psychology/ characters really really well. In still maintained that fun humor and zany comic adventures aspect too though. That run was really great but different than Morrison and co. I hope Hickman’s run has some of those qualities to it as well. Exploring characters in new ways but believable new ways. Like for instance how Cyclops subtly changes when he no longer has his optic blasts.
    Because there is really nothing revolutionary after Morrison run, Whedon was actually continuation of Morrison run it was supposed to be called New X-men if I remember correctly. I am not saying that no good comics happened after Morrison but they are certain big moments/historic markers in X-men history and nothing really shows up after that stand outs. And now that I think about it Marvel is low key kinda shading the Bendis era. I am not Bendis hater but I do find that appropriate.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm a massive fan of Grant Morrison's New X-Men but calling that run "revolutionary" is a slight exaggeration in my opinion: the biggest change versus what came before is the use of the Xavier Institute as an actual school, and that idea came from Bryan Singer's first X-Men movie. Morrison's way of writing the comics was certainly a departure from what had come before (self-contained, no thought bubbles, etc) but story-wise, Claremont & Byrne's Uncanny run was too much of a blueprint for me to consider Grant's New X-Men a true revolution.

Again, it's a run I adore and I don't necessarily look for a revolutionary take on the X-Men either (from neither Morrison nor Hickman), I just find it funny when people point to Morrison as someone who reinvented the wheel, when to me it's clear that he didn't.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Morrison only killed Jean and made Scott look bad, both had been done before.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Morrison only killed Jean and made Scott look bad, both had been done before.
    Didn't do Emma any favors either for some fans.

But I guess killing Jean & hooking up Scott with another well-known character did change up things quite a bit since it led to the stories by latter writers.

I liked Whedon's run for the most part, but it really wasn't revolutionary. It was mostly a return to the team's superheroic origins, after Morrison had moved them away from the usual tropes. I see Whedon's run as a spiritual successor to Claremont's early years, especially the use of Kitty as the POV, the exploration of Emma's Hellfire Club ties, the big alien menaces etc. Read Claremont's run up to the end of the Paul Smith issues and then jump straight to Whedon's run and the only essential new elements would be from Morrison's run (destruction of Genosha, Emma and Scott's affair, Jean's death).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Foxey View Post
    One thing that kind of bothers me is how they are treating it as if there was nothing revolutionary after Morrison when for me Whedon’s Astonishing was what got me into the x-men comics the first time and I think it was subtly revolutionary.
    It's not in the same ball park as being transformative as Giant Size X-Men, X-Men #!, Age of Apocalypse or New X-Men. If anything those books marked some of the major eras and trends in the x-books. Whedon's Astonishing is an outlier and not at all significant in that the direction of the franchise was not being driven by his book. In fact Bendis's House of M, which ran during Whedon's run is much more significant in the history of the x-books. But nobody wants to reference that for some reason. If anything its absence is almost an acknowledgement from Marvel that they screwed up with Decimation and HoM.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 07-07-2019 at 08:46 AM.

house of letter is an avengers crossover
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    house of letter is an avengers crossover
    It was marketed as a New Avengers/Astonishing X-Men crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I'm a massive fan of Grant Morrison's New X-Men but calling that run "revolutionary" is a slight exaggeration in my opinion: the biggest change versus what came before is the use of the Xavier Institute as an actual school, and that idea came from Bryan Singer's first X-Men movie. Morrison's way of writing the comics was certainly a departure from what had come before (self-contained, no thought bubbles, etc) but story-wise, Claremont & Byrne's Uncanny run was too much of a blueprint for me to consider Grant's New X-Men a true revolution.

Again, it's a run I adore and I don't necessarily look for a revolutionary take on the X-Men either (from neither Morrison nor Hickman), I just find it funny when people point to Morrison as someone who reinvented the wheel, when to me it's clear that he didn't.
    The best new concepts of Morrison run were ignored after he left, kinda of funny how it wasmostly undone.

Morrison still drank that Claremont water to be anything revoluctionary, more hype than substancy.
    Also almost none POCS or gays

yes but an x-men seminal moment can't be a 50/50 with the vengers, that's like peanut butter claiming that its presence in the sandwich is one of jelly's seminal moments, not cool bro, or when the police representative brought up my divorce when describing my criminal history to the jury, i don't care what they say, getting that dog back was not a crime, it was a revolution, i'm the hero, they say stolen, i say salvation
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Didn't do Emma any favors either for some fans.

But I guess killing Jean & hooking up Scott with another well-known character did change up things quite a bit since it led to the stories by latter writers.
    That is far away from revoluctionary, it is a very sexist trope. Really awful that the only thing that they followed Morrison was a sexist trope.
    the other part is Emma and Scott getting bigger after Morrison

Morrison was a major sea change for the franchise, from moving the X-men away from brightly colored superhero costumes to making the school more of a fully functioning institute (with mutant outreach branches via the X-Corps) to expanding greatly upon the Weapon X mythos (Weapon Plus) to introducing a host of new villains like Cassandra Nova, Sublime, the U-men, Quentin Quire (who was originally more of a villain), Ultimaton, etc. Even concepts like Jumbo Carnation and the rise of mutant culture were pretty revolutionary and fresh. Or at least it felt that way to me at the time. I had left comics in the late 90s when the X-books got so bad. So coming back with Morrison’s New X-men run felt like a breath of fresh air. Especially coming in 2001 right after the first X-men film.

Whedon’s run, by comparison, was more of a love letter to the past and the Claremont-Byrne years. From the off world adventures to Armor as the new Kitty Pryde to the whole Peter-Kitty love story which saw her sacrifice herself in the giant bullet (echoing Jean’s arc in Dark Phoenix a bit), it was not nearly as revolutionary. Though it was beautifully illustrated and quite enjoyable, especially the character interactions and voices.

Just my $.02, as someone who enjoyed both runs at the time. In hindsight, though, I now know that I enjoyed Morrison’s run more. The anticipation was greater for each issue, and what it might bring. I think because I genuinely enjoy it when the franchise is moving forward and going new places rather than trying to remix its greatest hits. Even if it messes with things that I already enjoyed and thought were perfect as is, such as Weapon Plus. Somehow Morrison breathed new life into that old horse which I thought had been thoroughly beaten to death. I guess one could argue that Morrison was also remixing the franchise’s greatest hits, so maybe I’m viewing his run through rose-colored glasses a bit here. But it felt very fresh and new, and each issue brought with it surprises and also made you want to re-read it to ensure you didn’t miss anything the first time.

So I think that’s why I’m so excited for Hickman and anticipating this next major sea change for the franchise. I also believe that it will set the groundwork for how mutants are going to be introduced into the MCU, so I’m curious about that. The comics increasingly seem to be a white board for concepts that make their way to the films, with some of these new concepts being mixed in with old stories to great effect (e.g., the Black Order from Infinity being added to the MCU version of the Infinity Gauntlet).
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 07-07-2019 at 09:11 AM.

To the people who think that Morrison is great. I hope your favorite characters get killed for more than a decade and also that all their important relationships get butchered into oblivion.
    Let's see how great that would be.

Morrison's writing falls apart 2/3rds of the way in every story. He's overrated.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 07-07-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fsger View Post
    To the people who think that Morrison is great. I hope your favorite characters get killed for more than a decade and also that all their important relationships get butchered into oblivion.
    Let's see how great that would be.
    Ha. I’ve already seen that. With both of my favorite characters. Wolverine was character assassinated to death in the 00s and then finally killed, and Cable was de-powered and re-powered and presumed dead so many times that they ran out of ideas and now made him a kid again. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.

Fingers crossed that Hickman’s run doesn’t involve any major changes for Logan. The “hot claws” addition is already bad enough. And Kid Cable... don’t even get me started on the lameness.